• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Narrowing down custom maps problems some more.

Drecks

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 26, 2005
The Netherlands
This post is about custom maps and the problems they have on certain servers. Now you could reply put this is the leveldesign area but this is something we all need to know as custom maps and content could bring joy to every RO HOS player.

For a while now some custom maps show issues on certain servers.

Spawn areas are shown wrong on the overhead map.
Spawn cam shows the wrong spawn position on the map.
Radio for artillery won't show.
Covers behave weird and even kill players.

I experienced the cover issue on TE-DieBresche and TE Coldsteel
While DieBresche shows the commander radio. TE-TheUnivermag has other issues and I don't know how TE-Provkhoy behaves.

Some people believe these problems started with the 7th february update.
As TE-Butovo seems to have none of the above problems this seems possible. The silly side is that on other servers these custom maps do not have any of the mentioned problems. They work really well.

In order to reproduce the issues, TW-Swag offerd to build and cook my TE_Coldsteel files on a TWI system and did not have any of the mentioned problems. At least they could not reproduce them. This doesn't mean they excist. To narrow this problem down Yoshiro started this topic
But the problems still there. Last week TW-Swag was asked to check the coldsteel map for any weird stuff. It turned out there was some "funny" Kismet in my map. I fixt that,but almost knew it had to be something else.
A test showed that this wasn't the cause of the problems.
The mapfile seems to have no other weirdo stuff yet is behaves weird on some servers.

In order to narrow it down some more I asked Wolverine to cook my files this weekend. Maybe my cookproces is screwed.
So he cooked them and we did a test. Result still the same.
Problems still there. What to do now. Should we ask BOH-Rekrut to build Butovo again and see how it behaves ? This could shine a light.

As TWI always shown great interest in custom content I think its in their benefite to seek for a solution. Even without the above problems its problematic to play custom maps. The redirect quits halfway downloading and kicks players to the menu. This make players leave servers which kills server population which kills the will to run custom maps.....

Anyone have some great idea ?

I'm here -- but why recook Ogledow, it works fine!

Not asking you to distribute the map. I just want to test it on my server just to see if the feb. 7th patch is the problem... That's all. Because only Ogledow and Butovo were cooked pre-feb. 7th patch, and they work fine regardless the server. The rest of the maps were post patch, so all bets are off when it comes to servers.

Reactions: Alphons Alphahane
Upvote 0
Not asking you to distribute the map. I just want to test it on my server just to see if the feb. 7th patch is the problem... That's all. Because only Ogledow and Butovo were cooked pre-feb. 7th patch, and they work fine regardless the server. The rest of the maps were post patch, so all bets are off when it comes to servers.

New sig, I see :). Please tell me you're still making Wake Island??? That, and all the other great maps you've been working on.

Cheers,

Fafnir_6

Upvote 0

You may very well be on to somethng. ;)

Upvote 0