• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Movable field guns?

PETERPANs

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 10, 2009
Is there chance to allow infantry to move light field guns? Around diameter 37-45-50 and maybe 75 mm.

Sometimes its better to change fireing position. For example if you conquer 1 street you push cannon 30-50 metres forward to another spot.

I see some videos of stalingrad urban conflict by light field guns. It seems that they used some kind of HE shells against buildings (shooting to windows, doors).

There is another point whitch I dont know. Is it easy to operate 37 mm field canon by standard infantry or there should be another possible class in HOS "artilleryman?".

We thought about trying this in the After-Hourz vehicle pack for RO but in the end it was not worth the time and effort. Also, the majority of maps at the time wouldn't have gained much from them in a direct fire mode. Mortars would be far more valuable if I were to choose between the two. AT guns or small infantry support guns would be great in the urban environment but you would want to be careful how you implement it. I would concentrate on more dynamic/random spawning of the guns to keep the level fresh, especially if it is a CA map. Another idea for a mod team to work on though. ;)

Upvote 0
This has been suggested before, but it is never too much to ask for movable or even stationary field guns.

Crews could man-handle field guns, meaning they could push, pivot, and move them, with relative ease. They were designed to be moved or rotated. Albeit, it is much harder to move guns of higher caliber for obvious reasons.

Would be cool to have field guns, but most definitely will not be included in the game.

Reactions: Lucan946
Upvote 0
This has been suggested before, but it is never too much to ask for movable or even stationary field guns.

Crews could man-handle field guns, meaning they could push, pivot, and move them, with relative ease. They were designed to be moved or rotated. Albeit, it is much harder to move guns of higher caliber for obvious reasons.

Would be cool to have field guns, but most definitely will not be included in the game.

Way to be downer man ._.

Reactions: Lucan946
Upvote 0
I'm all for movable field guns. As you said, stationary guns are not the best option for obvious reasons.

I'd like a system where the guy who mounts the gun, is the one who can set it up/pack it up to move it with like 1 or 2 additional "crew slots" where guys could enter and help him push when it is packed up.

So for example, everyone spawns, guy finds the 2cm flak gun, enters it, packs it up(and now he could possibly try to push it on his own, but it would be ultra slow) and he could ask teammates to help him. THey "enter" the gun, and don't have to do anything, but the guy can move it faster now. After he is in position he can set it up again and voila.

+Pro: Awesome heavy fire support that will rip enemies apart :D
-Con: Not a lot of cover for the "crew", easy to flank.

Upvote 0
Yep, that was our idea. One guy is the commander, one the gunner, then each slot filled, depending on the gun, would contribute extra power/speed to move the gun faster. Once positioned, or pivoted, etc, the other guys can detach and provide some fire support. Ideally this would only be viable on big maps with long ranges for fire support or to engage armor. Typically maps are too small or too fast playing to allow much use of this feature and you obviously want higher player counts to make it feasible.

Better to concentrate on lower player demand issues like mortars and randomly spawned heavy weapons that can dynamically influence a map each time it loads.

Upvote 0