• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Modern Warfare Mod?

Things already in RO: HoS that would not require new code in order to work well in MW RO2
Infantry:

• Iron sights
  • Assault rifles (In general)
  • Conventional grenades
  • 3D scopes (Fiber-optic/brightness changing optics unknown)
  • C&C systems
  • Class system
  • Game modes
Armor:

• Driving system
  • Gunner Auxiliary sights
  • Armor penetration, behind-armor effects
Things that would probably/definitely require new coding in order to be realistic

Infantry:

• Grenade launchers, holographic sights
Armor:

• Gunner primary sight
  • FCS
  • FLIR (Mostly a matter of rendering things in a color filter, and then making players, vehicles, explosions, and fire show up in a brighter or darker color.)
  • Stabilization
  • Hunter-killer system. (TC can designate a target that the turret will automatically slew to when TC or gunner presses the button)
  • An auto-tracker (As appropriate.)
The infantry systems are mostly self explanatory, but the armor requires a bit more. The GPS will require a few components to look the part. At the bottom, the indicator for range, and laser rangefinder. There should be appropriate symbology, as long as it exists in the real version. Things like fire control system faults, differing laser returns, should be left out for simplicity.

The fire control system is a bit more complicated. The first bit is autoelevation. This is basically just taking the range from the laser rangefinder, and automatically elevating the gun so that the rounds will hit where the reticle is pointing. The second part is lead compensation, which will undoubtedly be more complicated. The in-game method for an Abrams type tank would automatically calculate lead for you, but Leopard 2s and equivalent tanks would require the pressing and holding of a button in order to enable lead. The method for leading is tracking the target steadily, then firing. One must also be able to "dump lead" in order to re-track the target if they failed to do so originally.

The final piece of the puzzle to make daytime gunnery possible in a modern battlefield would be stabilization, which allows firing on the move. Within the context of the game, the gun should be following the gunnery sights, with the gunnery sights being able to keep on a target that is not moving, regardless of direct, speed, and bumpiness of terrain. If this isn't implemented, then FCS kinematic lead would not be possible.

A hunter-killer system would basically allow a vehicle commander to designate up to 6 targets, and allow the gunner to cycle through these targets, engaging them, and moving onto the next.

An auto-tracker is exactly what it says on the tin. With vehicles equipped with FLIR, one could switch on an auto-tracker that would track a designated object with sufficient background contrast continuously, and would continue to turn in the same average direction and speed even if the target disappears, until turned off.

FLIR would be best implemented as a system in which everything is reduced to shades of a given color, with explosions, fire, people, and vehicles made to have a different texture, with all fine texture detail removed, and replaced with a texture that would simply have a brighter or darker color where hotter parts of the object exist.

Upvote 0
Considering the standard the tanks in RO2 are set to, I think it would be best to stick with soldiers only.

I thought this was intended to be about SF operations more than standard infantry to?

I would be nice to see a game in which you can turn on your laser, flashlight, and had multiple sights.

That would be a nice new feature to the game.

Upvote 0
I personally think that at first, the infantry aspect should be developed as best it can be. Then, once it has been completed, first implement an MBT for each side. Then, add in an IFV, such as the BMP-3 or the M2A3/M3A3 Bradley. Finally, adding in other AFVs used by the factions, such as the Stryker and it's variants, the M113 and it's variants, would finish it off.

At first there would only be infantry vs. infantry and pure tank combat, then slowly the assets needed to have proper combined arms warfare would come together.

Upvote 0
Infantry:

• Grenade launchers, holographic sights
Armor:

• Gunner primary sight
  • FCS
  • FLIR (Mostly a matter of rendering things in a color filter, and then making players, vehicles, explosions, and fire show up in a brighter or darker color.)
  • Stabilization
  • Hunter-killer system. (TC can designate a target that the turret will automatically slew to when TC or gunner presses the button)
  • An auto-tracker (As appropriate.)
  • Active Protection Systems
  • ERA

Read the two in bold.

Personally, I think the best setting for a Modern Warfare mod would be a fictional conflict between the Soviet Union and NATO or China in the 60s or 80s.

Upvote 0
Does anyone know if it could be done to add one or more Helicopter to this mod? As it is UE 3 engine, i guess yes.

Then it would be such a pleasure to have one Huey, Apache or even Chinook!
We could have an heli insertion on Dantzig. oh man!

I guess Helis should stay more of a transport vehicule than attack one. They could have 1/2 machine guns on doors, but no missiles. Map can be huge in UE3, so heli transportation would be a nice feature.

Reactions: Extension7
Upvote 0
Infantry weapons would probably be for the US:

• M16A4
  • M4A0
  • M249
  • M240
  • M9
  • M203
  • M67
  • M110
  • AT4
  • SRAW
  • Javelin
The Opfor faction would pretty much be Soviet or Chinese equivalents of the weapons.

Helicopters would be immensely difficult to make realistically within this engine, some sort of semi realistic flight control would be fine, but proper gunnery systems would be difficult.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

• M16A4
  • M4A0
  • M249
  • M240
  • M9
  • M203
  • M67
  • M110
  • AT4
  • SRAW
  • Javelin
The Opfor faction would pretty much be Soviet or Chinese equivalents of the weapons.

Helicopters would be immensely difficult to make realistically within this engine, some sort of semi realistic flight control would be fine, but proper gunnery systems would be difficult.

Add the M4, M320 and IAR to that list.

If you play as SF:
SPR
MK 18
1911 - some kind of variant
M1014
M870 or M590 variants?
FN SCAR L and H

But it does depend on the branch. The Army won't be using any IARs... at least I don't think so.

Upvote 0

• M16A4
  • M4A0
  • M249
  • M240
  • M9
  • M203
  • M67
  • M110
  • AT4
  • SRAW
  • Javelin
  • TOW-2B
  • STINGER
  • M2
  • Equivalent of the AGS-17/30. Can't think of the name at the time.

Read the ones in bold. If this was to be a true modern warfare mod (or in the 60s or 80s) than there would be certain things that man-portable weapons couldn't deal with. Some crew-served would be necessary, particularly in the AT department. None of the weapons up there save for the TOW-2B and maybe Javelin would have a fair chance against modern armour (I.E T-80UM 'Snow Leopard') on account of the various APSs and all that fancy stuff.

Upvote 0
The Mk19 is the US equivalent of the AGS-30 system in use by the Russians. I'd rather avoid having to deal with too many variants of a weapon that is functionally the same, so the SCAR-L would either be the primary 5.56 NATO carbine, or have the M4A0 in place of it. I don't know what the Stingers would be for, unless there is AI attack helicopters/slow flying aircraft, or player manned variants of those. Both of which would open a whole new can of worms, so I'd rather not have the Stinger MANPAD put into an actively accessible kit.

Crew served weapons would require some method of being deployed and used, possibly just as a static much in the way current AT guns in DH are placed.

The M1014 and either the M870 or the M590 should be put in, but not both. The 1911 is worth implementing in game due to differing characteristics from the M9.

If an M2A3 Bradley were modeled well enough to just get it to play reasonably well in the game until it's features were fully modeled, it could serve as a mobile crew-served weapon. An equivalent Soviet/Chinese vehicle like the BMP-3 would serve well as it's counterpart until MBTs and APCs are implemented.

Upvote 0
The Mk19 is the US equivalent of the AGS-30 system in use by the Russians. I'd rather avoid having to deal with too many variants of a weapon that is functionally the same, so the SCAR-L would either be the primary 5.56 NATO carbine, or have the M4A0 in place of it. I don't know what the Stingers would be for, unless there is AI attack helicopters/slow flying aircraft, or player manned variants of those. Both of which would open a whole new can of worms, so I'd rather not have the Stinger MANPAD put into an actively accessible kit.

Crew served weapons would require some method of being deployed and used, possibly just as a static much in the way current AT guns in DH are placed.

The M1014 and either the M870 or the M590 should be put in, but not both. The 1911 is worth implementing in game due to differing characteristics from the M9.

If an M2A3 Bradley were modeled well enough to just get it to play reasonably well in the game until it's features were fully modeled, it could serve as a mobile crew-served weapon. An equivalent Soviet/Chinese vehicle like the BMP-3 would serve well as it's counterpart until MBTs and IFVs are implemented.

Replying to the bold: That's exactly the reason it would be in. Then again, air warfare would be extremley hard to implement, as you say.

For the crew served: movable pieces would really be preferable.

Upvote 0
Why would time been an issue? its not like you have a deadline to make the mod and release it on time or else your team will suffer penalty fees...?

I understand if the community descides to jump into making this mod,and lets just say you find a good group of people to work on the mod and trying to release descent number of maps,honestly it will take you at least a 1 1/2 year to release a good polished MW mod.

Lets be real,this would be your hobby,all peeps that will be working on the mod have things in life that come first and they have to go to work or college,universtity....it will take some time,but why to be in rush iven if its released after 2 years,people will be glad to have something new to play in 2 years,they would love that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0