• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Modern Warfare Mod?

Thought I'd chip in and same a modern war mod is being made by myself and a few others, at this stage its nearly all research and content creation - however we expect things to ramp out after the release of HoS and once some of the members of the team finish uni.

Well that is great news. :D

Assuming they all get released - WWI, WWII Pacific, Vietnam, and modern? What a great selection of mods.

Upvote 0
Thought I'd chip in and same a modern war mod is being made by myself and a few others, at this stage its nearly all research and content creation - however we expect things to ramp out after the release of HoS and once some of the members of the team finish uni.
I hope it's a fictional or counter-terrorist style modern warfare mod. I really find most real wars after the Vietnam war to be uninteresting wars.

Upvote 0
I don't think you could ever have a Modern Warfare mod and have RO style gameplay. Real life fighting today are small firearms engagements with each other. In WWII you had thousands of soldiers in one battle, with very bloody battles that had a lot of casualties. In the modern age, you don't have large scale fighting in cities with reinforcements coming in the hundreds. If that happened the US death toll would be much higher. It's just some terrorists who shoot a couple rounds at them, and run away to try to starve the U.S of ammo and resources. There hasn't been a conventional war in a long time and we can't really model what would happen.

Upvote 0
While I haven't formally announced my mod yet, I did outline our idea's in a thread a few months back, please bare in mind until formally announced, these plans are subject to change.

The mod is under the working title of Modern Combat Operations - the time period will cover the end of the Cold War to 2020. Operations will be non and fictional alike, each grounded in historical accuracy and plausibility. The plan's are to have different modules covering different conflicts and theatres - the initial "Core" will almost be exclusively about Herrick and Telic (Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom to our friends across the pond) with perspectives from British, US.
The first release will feature an realistic Opfor (Taliban, Al-queda and general Iraqi insurgents), latter releases will introduce Canadian and ADF forces and an expansion of Opfor to include a wider variety of insurgents, as well a fictional Middle Eastern regular army based on a composite of Iran, Syria and Jordan.

The purpose of the initial releases is to hammer out the bugs, features and details (They will be an private alpha prior to these releases). The main concern is expanding beyond RO2's theatre, for example introducing modern weapon systems like drones & remote controlled, IR lasers, night vision, thermals, pilotable helicopters (there's no current plan for jet's out side of commander called airs strikes, though this could change) etc.

The second task is balancing irregular forces and introducing elements to properly represent the difficulty of fighting irregular's - the idea at the moment is have random Ai bots play the role of civilians and for Nato forces to lose reinforcements or points from the pool for collateral deaths. This would be tied to a dynamic respawn system (would be upto the discretion of the map maker and mode played) where irregular forces would spawn within the first capture location from random "caches and hidden locations" enabling them to setup ambushes and plant IED's with the added feature of placing there weapon in cache so if engaged prior to drawing a weapon, the Bluefor player runs the risk of losing points. These caches would be destroyable.

There is a design to extend morale but that'll be put on a backburner until we've played the game and fully understand how it works. Body armour too is an area that will need investigating - I want to create a chance system based upon calibre and distance (and location of hit) that would stun or knock a player off his feet, current thinking is applying the same properties of helmets to area's of the body, but again something that needs looking at after release. Only after then once these issues are resolved will the mod be expanded to other theatres and conflicts.

The team making it are made up of history students, games artists and programmers (students and graduates) and will be actively looking for people to get involved. Hope that give's people a thorough understanding :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Roland777
Upvote 0
A fictional future war with full on-conventional, high-intensity warfare with modern Russian/PLA equipment vs. modern US/NATO equipment would be interesting to see.

That would be very hard to do with RO's engine, considering that conventional modern warfare is so high-tempo and involves such great numbers of units meant to move over such large swathes of ground. Limited infantry and combined-arms engagements would probably work out better.

I don't think you could ever have a Modern Warfare mod and have RO style gameplay. Real life fighting today are small firearms engagements with each other. In WWII you had thousands of soldiers in one battle, with very bloody battles that had a lot of casualties. In the modern age, you don't have large scale fighting in cities with reinforcements coming in the hundreds. If that happened the US death toll would be much higher. It's just some terrorists who shoot a couple rounds at them, and run away to try to starve the U.S of ammo and resources. There hasn't been a conventional war in a long time and we can't really model what would happen.

That's only non-conventional, limited warfare. Conventional modern warfare would be too hard for the opposite reason. That is, there are way too many units and there's way too much **** happening.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
.......Modern Combat Operations .....

good, and nice to see it's clear of what i've had in mind for a while now.
I was seriously considering iran iraq war, but i recon most ppl will steer well clear of something they know little about, involving sides they are not sympathetic too.
But that conflict is still a possible off-shoot of what i'd like to do, equipment wise.

Upvote 0
Any modern warfare mod will have a large content overlap with In Country - so keep in touch with us so we can see about working together on key content.

Nice to see that you guys are willing to help other mod teams out.

Great idea. This way two teams don't end up trying to animate the same weapons ect.... saves time so they can do the more important stuff.

EchoJ7, that seems like a lot of work. I would focus on doing the infantry right first. Make workable lasers, NVGs, model body armor, ect.

You might want to dig through the Insurgency Ideas and Suggestions forum at insmod.org. Many people have had some great ideas for asymmetric warfare. If you can model this, it will be a big gameplay change from RO. In RO, both teams feature similar gameplay and tactics.

Examples:

1) USMC get ACOGs as standard issue. Insurgents use iron sights. The USMC do not get full auto, the Insurgents do. This makes the USMC better at longer ranges while the Insurgents are better at close ranges.

2) The US military gets body armor. Insurgents generally do not. This means insurgents can run around quicker and do not out of stamina as quick. Of course, they are more likely to die in one shot.

3) Weapon caches. Give the insurgents destroyable weapon cashes through out the map. Load it with things like RPG rounds, MG belts ect.

Things like this would make a modern warfare mod interesting as well as offer considerably different gameplay from RO.

I was seriously considering iran iraq war, but i recon most ppl will steer well clear of something they know little about, involving sides they are not sympathetic too.

I thought this would be interesting to see to. Would make for a great mod IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Felix Ostheim
Upvote 0