• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

MG realism

Kovi9208

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 30, 2015
Hey guys, first of all, incredible game, way to go. I was a squad leader in the army and am currently in the reserves, and RO2 is the most realistic fps I've ever played, and I know y'all pride yourselves on that. So I wanted to just make a couple of, I hope, helpful comments about the MGs that might help improve the feeling of immersion.
1. Regarding changing barrels - I noticed that in the animation for changing overheated MG barrels, the old barrel is pulled out by hand?? This is obviously impossible, it would burn the skin right off your hand. Was the animation done this way on purpose?
2. I've noticed also that you can change your barrel an infinite number of times. My MG gunner only had one spare barrel, in combat situations two; they're very heavy and in limited supply. It would make more sense for players to only start off w one or two spare barrels.
3. Did y'all consider squiggly tracers? Real tracers appear to squiggle as the bullets tumble, and also have very visible bounces and ricochets. Could help contribute to the realism.
Thanks again, and I hope my feedback is appreciated.

Here's the german barrel glove as part of an MG34 tool bag:
mg34gunrkit1a__50646.1410408506.1280.1280.jpg

The US one:
barrelglove110.jpg

You can definitely heat up your second barrel... at some point in extended furious firing sessions, you'll change your spare back on and it will still be smoking... both barrels smoking... :eek:

Upvote 0
What do you mean tracers tumbling? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of having a tracer round in the first place?

And yeah only german summer MG heros or germans in winter uniforms have gloves.

True American soldiers don't need gloves.

There is penatration in the game. Don't know about ricochets though. But rounds penetrating objects don't come out straight all the time. However penatration varies map to map and many of the community made maps don't have much in the way of objects you can shoot through. Sheet metal you can penatrate on one map may be bullet proof on another map.

Upvote 0
Still, putting a burning hot barrel back in your pack seems a bit problematic... Not sure what the alternative would be tho in a video game. intrigued by this immersion mod you speak of... Does it include tracers as well?

Not in the acutally version, but if it is possible and they team will found some time for it they surely will add it, too. Because it

Upvote 0
IOM sounds are awful I find.

Warning: relatively off-topic IOM rant. Couldn't help myself.

There are certainly some things in IOM that could use some work, such as one's character having less stamina than an overweight diabetic, and a few of the guns sounding a little weak. However, overall it is simply far better than vanilla. First of all, there the many extra weapons (including things such as molotov cocktails), and then three is the more challenging weapon handling, (i.e. no zoom and more sway, especially when suppressed) which leads to better and more intense firefights.

Finally, the vast majority of the sounds in IOM are either legitimately frightening, when on the receiving end of them, or incredibly satisfying, when you are the one striking fear (and bullets) into enemy's hearts for a change. Whether it be the scream and thunder of arty raining down, or the crack of a hail of lead whizzing past you as your comrades lay dead and slowly dying around you, it can sometimes sound as if you are practically in the middle of a real war-zone, which is something that the vanilla game just can't quite do.

I suppose it's all a matter of opinion though.

Upvote 0
Honestly, I'm hesitant because I like the sound effects in RO2 and don't really feel a need to change them. (Note to that effect: I publishes one of the first encompassing weapon sound mods for the original Call of Duty from weapon sounds that I collected and edited. I've also been shot at and had mortars and rockets falling all around me. I know good weapon sounds when I here em.)

Also, my experience has been that the zooming effect more closely reflects reality than the lack thereof. Focusing on a specific point through an aperture has that effect, to such extent that I've found that, over open sights, I can actually shoot just as well without my glasses as with them.

Upvote 0
Been talking it over with a few people, IOM may make a main update/progress thread, I'm in to it. Along with a suggestion thread considering how long this one is already.... I find it best to split them up a bit.
And yes we indeed are making an STG-44, most of it is done, you have AAZ to thank for that. (He's awesome!).

Wait you're making one too?

HOTW and IOM should communicate more.

Don't say you are making a G43 as well.

Upvote 0