• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Medieval II: Total War

I'm very torn about going and buying this right away. I hate paying full retail for a lot of games. For the entire TW series, I've been able to pick them up on the cheap after their release ($20 bucks including expansion packs).

On the other side, I really really liked MTW, and would love to play MTW2 today.

Upvote 0
Please can I get some impressions from you folks? I was thinking about ordering it from Play earlier but then I couldn't find any sort of official review. (Very very wierd seeing as it's released to the public) 2 reviews from random people on gamespot I think gave it a 9.0 and a 9.4 but that ain't good enough. If it's worth my 24 squids I'll order it tonight ^^

Edit: Meh I found one, I think from CVG or PCZ, 9.0... I'm ordering :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Personally, I'm not enjoying my time on the battle map as much as in RTW. I don't have a definitive reason why though. The animations, character interaction & greatly varied models in a single unit should in theory make it more immersing during a battle - but I'm just not feeling it in the same way as I did with RTW. Perhaps in time It'll grow on me more....

However, the campaign map is a very different story. The new campaign style easily makes this game, in my opinion, the most cerebral strategy game in recent years. Personally, I'd say the advances in how the diplomacy system works put it on a par with - if not actually above Civ in terms of depth. It appears that the whole thing has been greatly improved in terms of the Campaign Map AI. No longer will a faction attack you, begin to lose horribly and then refuse a ceasefire even when they are on the brink of extinction. Now, if you smash a warring faction militarily or they bankrupt themselves through a war of attrition, you can bet they'll be begging on your doorstep in a few turns trying to broker a ceasefire - at which point you can swindle them out of any florins they happen to have left - or bag a few of their settlements if they are desperate enough :D.

In all the previous Total War games, I've enjoyed diplomacy but thought it rather simple in ways. In M2TW the wealth of factors influencing how diplomacy works have been upped considerably. For example, your relationship with the other faction, ( seemingly dictated by whether you've warred with them, or have shown generosity / greed within your past diplomacy etc ), your religion, relationship with other allied/neutral/enemy factions, skill/traits of the agents in question and I'm sure a whole wealth of other factors I've not mentioned can all influence how your diplomatic relations proceed....

Furthermore, all of the other areas of the campaign have been seemingly expanded upon. Ransoming & executing prisoners has been re-introduced from the original MTW and Princesses are now usable as agents again.. The new addition of Merchants adds an appealing monetary slant to how you can play through the campaign ( buying out merchants from other factions etc.) Assassins & Spies feel better - the system of using them is certainly more satisfying when the game shows you videos of your agent's escapades as previous TW games have done.. And, that's without even mentioning the new systems of how the Papacy & settlement type ( City / Fortification) work within the game - which are too extensive to mention here...

All in all, a massive new dimension of depth has been introduced to the TW series & in my opinion that makes it a worthy successor to Rome which also introduces some of the previously lost elements that featured in the original MTW.

Plus, some of the options that are now available are just fantastically fun, such as catapulting bits of rotting cow carcass over Castle walls before you charge the gatehouse or using the Islamic equivalent of a Nebelwerfer to obliterate an oncoming wedge of Crusading Knights... Over time, such novelties and potentially historically uncommon sights within the game may wear thin - but I'll NEVER get tired of being contracted to assassinate the French King by his own son so he can usurp the throne - only to follow it up by having the same assassin bump off the newly crowned King as well in the following turn :D.

Some previous problems are still present within the series... The battle map AI is still about as intelligent as Captain Nolan at times - having the strangest of notions to stand still with their backs to a rain of arrows & quarrels or deciding to charge all their lightly armoured cavalry frontally into your best pike wielding troops... but these niggles seem minor when compared with how much of a joy the campaign map is to play and the fact that online players aren't as stupid as the AI ( well, in most players' cases anyway :D)

Anyone who is a fan of the TW series or likes challenging strategy games should get this - it is definitely a much more worthwhile game than Rome, or any of the previous Total War games come to think of it...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I bought the collector's edition as a late birthday present. I installed it after recieving it and I started out as Spain. The new campaign map looks a lot better and the battles are awesome. For some reason it allows me to play with everything on high (3200+ AMD 64 bit, GeForce 6600 256MB, 1024MB RAM).

If you've played RTW the battles aren't much different, except that in MTW2 they are slower and the enemy is smarter. I haven't had a lot of battles but rushing the enemy with cavalry does not always work anymore. The battles look stunning due to the great graphics and the addition of being able to see upgrades is really nice too (when you upgrade their armor, you see it!). The campaign AI makes sense for once. As I am Spain I have the Moors to the south, Portuguese to the West and French to the East. Early on I allied with the Moors and Portuguese to get some rebel provinces.

Then I wanted to go after the Moors and right after I put a stack of a strong army across the borders, our relations automatically went down. Very cool. However I was forced to pull them back to the East after France declared war on me! All they did was blockade one of my harbours and they did not send an army. I sent an army however and when I asked for a cease-fire and 5000 gold, they accepted. Wow, they actually listen to me. I was surprised. I took Bordeaux, a province a little north of the Pyrenea (sp?) and France was not amused, but didn't do anything because they were at war with England and Germany. Soon after that I declared war on Portugal, unintended though. The son of King Alfonso wanted his father dead, my assassin failed in finishing the deed so we were at war. Luckily I had an army in the West and sent it directly to Corduba, which was now in Portuguese hands. After conquering it, I offered him a cease-fire aswell. He accepted realizing that he could not defeat my heavily defended castle of Toledo. Finally they realize who's boss!

Crusades are also a cool addition. The pope declares a crusade and you just have to build an army big enough, click on the army, and turn it into a crusade army. Then you can hire soldiers like crusaders, or fanatics and stuff like that. They have a higher moving rate and they aren't disturbed by other nations when crossing the borders. Except the islamic nations, they don't like crusades. The little agent movies are cool too, I don't watch them every time though. I haven't had a lot of sieges, mainly because I just wait outside the gates until the people inside die and then take it without resistance. All in all it is a fun game and I think I will go play some more.

Upvote 0
I think I'll get it over Steam, rather than wait 3 weeks more to buy boxed version here. Activision gets the money which EA lost from me! :)

..huh? Sega is the publisher, its developed by the Creative Assembly, and Activision isn't involved as far as I can see unless they've bought Sega at some point, and EA is nowhere to be found, again unless they've bought Sega.

Upvote 0
Some previous problems are still present within the series... The battle map AI is still about as intelligent as Captain Nolan at times - having the strangest of notions to stand still with their backs to a rain of arrows & quarrels or deciding to charge all their lightly armoured cavalry frontally into your best pike wielding troops... but these niggles seem minor when compared with how much of a joy the campaign map is to play and the fact that online players aren't as stupid as the AI ( well, in most players' cases anyway :D)

the passive standing is a known bug as mentioned before in a quote I posted. A soon to be relased patch fixed this and other things
Try the battles on very hard with even forces....

The battles are much better.
fatigue makes a big difference now on the harder levels, if your archer stand and shoot a while they will get tired. As will soldiers who have been fighting a while even if they kill everything in sight. And if they are tired and hit some fresh enemies they will get wiped out!
Getting soldiers to move around to walls and what not is great, no path finding issues now.

runs much better than the demo performance wise! They really tweaked it up even further than the gold demo. I can run with eveyrthing set on highest and get 15fps at the lowest. In the gold demo it was like 5fps
It looks different too, much better when zoomed out, clearer

Playing as Scottish and kicked the English off the continent :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0