• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Medieval II: Total War

Blah, 1.2 really screws up the game if you patch 1.1 - 1.2. I patched up, and all of a sudden every time i launched the game i got this lovely unspecified error (says mouse cursors are missing). Apparently there are hundreds of us that have the same error because we patched from 1.1 - 1.2 and somehow our data got corrupted. Nice, thanks so much CA for the broken AI and broken game. I hate cleaning the registry X_X.

Upvote 0
the one thing im so glad they fixed is the cavalry AI it was annoyin in both campaign mode and MP when you cav would charge enemy spearmen head on without you ordering them to (ok from close range i can understand that) but one battle my mongols charged across half a map of open ground despite me not ordering them to and i was unable to halt them as half my army crushed itself onto a spear wall. Secondly im glad when you do order them to charge they actually go in i.e. before that patch i would sometimes order my guys in only for them to pause and mill around 5m or so in front of the spearmen waiting to get stabbed (even if i held my cursor over them it would claim they were charging even though they were just walking up and down the line of spears getting stabbed not fighting back)....so i think this patch has generally been a good thing.

Upvote 0
Heh, imperuous stat for the win. So yeah I might have to reinstall the game because I want to see if 1.2 did anything. On the same note, anyone here know of any campaign map projects that increase the number of regions and settlements in the game?
How about Regions&Provinces?

Adds 3 new factions Ireland , Sweden and The Mali Empire
Adds 88 Regions/citys with garrisons making the total 196 regions -
Malta ,Majorca, Kazan, Astrakhan, Ukak, Tver, Badajoz ,Kronstadt, Berwick, Welsh March,
Pisa, Lyon, Holstien, Meath, Visby(Gotland) Cologne ,Cumania , Fezzan
Adds extra units to England (eventually all)
Historical region names & faction names
Mercenary changes
More Tweaks
Uses the latest DarthAI - 1.3D (included txt on removel)

Portvcale is nice, too:

- Nine new factions: Navarre, Aragon, Bohemia, Cumans, the Crusaders, Novgorod, Pisa, Genoa and Lithuania. ( note: these factions will use textures already included in the original game).
- The “Spain” faction was replaced by Castile & Leon and the “Russia” faction by Kievan Rus.
- More realistic colour scheme for France and Denmark
- The campaign begins in 1143 e takes place in a map with new regions spread throughout Europe (Note: it is impossible to conquer the Sahara Desert and the Arabian Desert; it is only possible to conquer Arguin in the Age of Discoveries)

mapfejz3.jpg

- More pirates and less random rebel spawning but with a more active setting: they will attack if the opportunity rises and keep themselves fortified in case of numeric inferiority.
- Mongols have a higher tendency to invade the East and Central Europe
- Rebel cities evolve and recruit troops
- New loading screens
- New quotes
- Accurate genealogical trees of all the royal families present in 1143.
- The mod which makes the generals get older one year per turn is included. To compensate for the ageing their movement range has been enlarged.
- Included a combination of the Ultimate AI mod with a compact version of Darth Mod’s AI and diplomacy.
- Merchants generate more income.
- The regions of southern France have a higher percentage of heresy to represent Cathar influence.
- Abolition of monarchy in Venice, Genoa, Milan, Pisa and Novgorod. Generals for these factions are now recruited at the “Mayor’s Chambers”
- Small alterations in character names.
- Growth speed of towns has been set lower.
- Loading game bar bug fixed.
- Shield bug fixed.
- Faction Heir bug reported by Julius Isidrus on version 0.1 has been fixed.
- All archers of European factions can deploy sharpened stakes before the battle starts.
- Cannon Elephants were removed from the game.
- New portrait for D.Afonso Henriques

- The main Portuguese unit are the “Portuguese Knights”​

Upvote 0
which one of those mods do you suggest?
Can't say because I haven't had the chance to thouroughly test either.
I'd say R&P for the simple sake of just added regions (if you do not want to modify anything else).

I'm a little pissed at the 1.2 patch seeing as how everywhere I go requires me to register except one link but it'll take two hours to download....grrrrrr facist pigs.
The easy answer:
Torrent.

I'm using that for each and everything whereever possible.

cant figure out how to get regions mod to work...
Post in the appropriate forum/thread, I'd say, you are most likely to get help there.

Upvote 0
Had to start a new French campaign as the old one was a bust. I did a few things differently this time. I converted Bordoeux, Angers to cities. Converted Marsailles to castle for the time because as a city it was hard to hold against those Milanese. I also learnt to gather all of the disparate troops in your cities under two big forces. In that was I have been able to sweep out of my homelands and take Dijon, Metz, Bren (castle south of Metz) and then Strausburg (or a city with a similar name east of Metz). In a few turns my faction heir will take Rennes from the Portuguese of all people. Bordoeux is under siege and will fall because the garrison is tiny. However the crown prince will swing south and reclaim it before the enemy can reinforce it.

Upvote 0
playing this game is kind of a downer...like once you conquer the world, there is no more to do and it makes me want to not conquer and just build...but you can't view your cities like in RTW and you can't customize buildings so that is kind of pointless. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Yeah, I really miss the city view, I love to watch my settlements grow prosperous :)

Even liked that from way back in Civ I!

Sooo nice!

Really got no clue why they took that out as well as dismounting before battle and tar and oil on the gates...
:mad:

Anyway, I like to play less offensive and more Great Builder style.
Ususally, I take all the rebel settlements that are adjected to my territory (and race for them in competition to the other nations.
Then, I convert about every settlement that has access to the sea to a city for better trade income (Hamburg is an exception here when playing HRE) and only those landlocked regions that prove a strategically good position become castles.
Ususally, that will mean they are border regions and there is no other castle too close to them.
Also, any mountain regions or other hard to access or good for castles and I will focus on stables here, since that means I can move those units out there faster, as the mountains slow them down (try moving some balistae around the Alps when you need them ASAP...).

The cities will then receive almost no military buildings unless required (eg I need "barracks" to restore some order or such). I focus on trade so I can gather enough money to spend it on that handful of castles I have so they can be upgraded as much as possible (esp armourer).

I like that cities have a contingent of free upkeep units, which I make great use of (usually spearmen and some archebuisers (sp?) just in case).

Getting my ecomony way up to a powerhouse, I like retaining very good or perfect relations to my neighbours and wait for things to happen.
A call for a crusade (I ususally do not call them myself because I like to role-play a bit and don't want to force the Pope to it - I do give him little gifts of money from time to time, though) is a good reason to expand my empire and get my troops more battle-hardened than they are by merely fighting rebels...

If the Milanese mock up (they ALWAYS are doing that in all of my games, always bullying everyone thinking they can take the whole worlds...), I try to quickly subdue them by bribing their generals/settlements.
As my economy is ususally working nicely, I can easily afford paying some 50,000 for a settlement, maybe even more.

Should one nation become excommunicated (usually Milanese or Venice for some reason...), I may attack them if they have no other allies, but that depends on the situation.
If I can get a deal with the Pope (offering assitance at attacking them for X rounds for instance), that is the green light for me.
If not, well, maybe I can get some spies to get their cities to revolt so I can take them over, though I hardly build taverns and the like in fear of the bad traits my Generals may acquire (I ususally have one in each of my cities although I couold even manage vacant settlements).

While it is certainly possible to blitz your way around (getting the upkeep for your armies from raised settlements, then quickly moving on to the next) as with the Vikings in VI (MTW), it's just not fun, IMO.

EDIT:
Guess what I just stumbled upon:
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=100329

:D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm playing as Scotland right now with R&P mod. I made allies with Ireland and France (Ireland is a bit retarded, they have an entire Island to conquer for themselves, but I guess they arn't strong enough to take on rebels so they only have one settlement as of now.) I try to give Ireland money when I can afford it to create a trading partner. I also play a build up style, I always have, even back in Age of Empires I would just build up and create those really cheap effective "Chosen Swordsmen" (the original zergs). I take over rebel settlements and then I keep the peace and build up my cities and castles. I only have one castle and thats to the far north of the Island and the rest are cities. Unlike you I put barracks and stables in cities so I can make a full stack army in 1-2 turns.

The one thing I never build is a brothel, spies are overrated and an army of assassins/spies can cripple entire empires. I prefer to do things with my mount and blade as opposed to disguises and coral snakes (lol). Also with a brothel, your Generals/characters can turn into unsavioury characters, although sometimes they can get a command bonus, but a lot of time they just turn into drunks (If you need a general to be a mayor of a city and yo have a brothel, there is a good chance he will be a drunk and his city management will go down the ****ter.) So far I'm enjoying playing as Scotland, but I'm seriously considering a Swedish campaign, for starters I have Scandanavian blood and 2ndly they have a great mix of units and cavalry (I LOVE cavalry), also their position is PERFECT, I can expand in any direction and i'm relatively safe. Although getting to the middle east will be a big problem....hell maybe I'll just get excommunicated and hold off everyone!

Playing as the Papal States has a sort of Holy War feel to it and thats apealing. The one thing that I get sick of is all the city fights, there never really is any time to get your army to attack another army in the field because most armies are within walking range of cities(especially on the british isles). Guess I'll have to keep troops in ambush.

Upvote 0