• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map [MAP]WF-Hill 400

Hey nymets, just some quick preliminary things for B3.

Would it be possible to not use these bushes moving forward? Namely the issue is there bulletproof-ness, which may be why you included it for cover on the approach; however, it's kind of absurd to expect that kind of protection from a bush let alone it's very odd cylindrical hitbox that isn't very intuitive (leading to confusion and frustration). Maybe something to replace it? I recall DH-Hill400 used dragon's teeth a bunch. (Anti-tank fortification)

Also more riflemen roles please! I realize it seems enough as most people use other weapons anyways or namely just never enough people to actually utilize all of it but it's just something from RO1/DH we in the 29th enjoyed, that being infinite riflemen for use when organizing things. (Like ~32 riflemen for each team would be great)

The second request is more of a thing moving forward in general for mapping, I hope its not too much a bother!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Would it be possible to not use these bushes moving forward? Namely the issue is there bulletproof-ness, which may be why you included it for cover on the approach; however, it's kind of absurd to expect that kind of protection from a bush let alone it's very odd cylindrical hitbox that isn't very intuitive (leading to confusion and frustration). Maybe something to replace it? I recall DH-Hill400 used dragon's teeth a bunch. (Anti-tank fortification)

Also more riflemen roles please! I realize it seems enough as most people use other weapons anyways or namely just never enough people to actually utilize all of it but it's just something from RO1/DH we in the 29th enjoyed, that being infinite riflemen for use when organizing things. (Like ~32 riflemen for each team would be great)

The second request is more of a thing moving forward in general for mapping, I hope its not too much a bother!

I did not realize those bushes were bullet-proof, I can remove that from the next update and leave the bushes. I can also add more rifleman roles no problem! Thanks for the suggestions

Upvote 0
Why not add to your mutator the bUnlimitedRoles=true , fairly sure that would fix your situation rather than a map edit.

Upvote 0
instead of ignore the critics and say "aqhhh it looks fantastic, c ant wait to Play it " and all the other bull**** say what it s crap, and the maps are CRAP and to fix all the bugs etc, it ll take years, perhaps you ll fixed it when RO7 is released when you blame the critics morrons... But it s your freetime you waste with w... happy working for 10 or 15 Players, i wish you the best...

Theone

Upvote 0
Well, maybe you could help with something.

At the moment I think the transition between C and D caps feel a bit off, they slightly overlap and the flow seems to go underground and then overground (wombling free) which does not really match the way the map seems to be a largely single directional push. Maybe a cap above ground and below ground for where C is and then a final cap beyond where D is located as the Americans now have the hill and they have to hold it kind of feel?

This guy seems to be a design expert. What does he think?

Upvote 0
Well, maybe you could help with something.

At the moment I think the transition between C and D caps feel a bit off, they slightly overlap and the flow seems to go underground and then overground (wombling free) which does not really match the way the map seems to be a largely single directional push. Maybe a cap above ground and below ground for where C is and then a final cap beyond where D is located as the Americans now have the hill and they have to hold it kind of feel?

This guy seems to be a design expert. What does he think?

Scum knows how to give proper criticism. Use his posts as an example.

Upvote 0
instead of ignore the critics and say "aqhhh it looks fantastic, c ant wait to Play it " and all the other bull**** say what it s crap, and the maps are CRAP and to fix all the bugs etc, it ll take years, perhaps you ll fixed it when RO7 is released when you blame the critics morrons... But it s your freetime you waste with w... happy working for 10 or 15 Players, i wish you the best...

Theone

I agree with him on some HotW maps, especially Caen outskirts, it wasn't a bright idea to base it off an RTS... But the way you're saying you're basically saying the opposite, pretty much being them except on the opposite side of the scale. If you want to criticize them, provide examples, and feedback, don't be an *** about it.

Upvote 0
I seem to have been hit by inspiration lightning, or bad gas, but that is just me being a backseat mapper and Nymets has had a lot of that from me.

Was thinking about the layout of the map, the caps and how fast it is. While it is good the map is short, perhaps there could be an additional cap? This plan would possibly require some big changes, and I will admit that if I want to see stuff like this I should make my own map, but indulge me here:

With A and B, things stay the same as they are. Nothing much needs changing with them.
C and D become capable at the same time, C being purely the bunkers underground while D is the hilltop itself. Once one is capped it does not lock until the other is capped. Not sure how doable this is due to the fact I'm not sure about how height changes the cap zones, so if this is a bit silly that is fine.

Once both C and D are capped there is one final cap at the end of the map. The new E point would be the back of the hill behind where the old D cap would be, however rather than it being a simple cap to attack, the cap is much slower to cap than any other point. One of those classic "put one man in it and then have to wait 5 mins for it to cap" type things. Essentially the hill has been captured by the Americans and now the Germans are counter attacking from the town so while the Americans are capping the point, it feels more like a defence from this point on. To help the Germans the cap zone may need to be rather large, plus have some defensive positions set up from the hilltop. Not only would that help the cappers, but would add to the feel that the hilltop is a fort of some form rather than just a videogamey one directional push map. If you want to be extra nice to the attackers you could place an MG42 mount and a bunker or two to help perhaps. If the Defenders are having a hard time, maybe give them a halftracks just for the last point.

Regardless, just an idea that popped into my sleep deprived mind as I was about to go to bed. Couple of pics included in the areas I'm proposing.
If people disagree, great! Got the feeling I'm throwing too many ideas at people of late and not really doing much myself in practical terms.

Attachments

• 35450_screenshots_2015-09-27_00001.jpg
    35450_screenshots_2015-09-27_00001.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 35450_screenshots_2015-09-27_00002.jpg
    35450_screenshots_2015-09-27_00002.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
Very Good suggestions I must say, I originally planned the map in a similar way as the real battle featured several fierce counterattacks made by the Germans after the Rangers took the hill. They had large amounts of casualties stranded inside the Hilltop bunker and losing the hilltop back to the Axis would mean leaving behind many wounded.

I opted to stop the map at the hilltop simply to keep it "small". I dont think it would really be too much effort to expand it beyond the hilltop and add that extra cap. I prob wouldnt add transports at this point, but will def play wit this idea. Thanks as always for the great ideas. :)

Upvote 0
So this map starts right where in the original is the hill already at objective B or two? I always loved trying to get from the town, and than trying to cross the field, too bad it's not in this version of the map, that was my favorite part. :(

This map looks to me at least more based off the COD2 map rather than darkest hour.

Upvote 0
Love this map? Hate this map? Never played this map?

Its getting an update so please voice your concerns, suggestions, or things that are working well or not at all. If you haven't gathered yet, I have pretty thick skin so I'd love to hear from anyone.

Things I am already addressing:
  • Some of the large Bushes were blocking bullets / players
  • Adding more cover, sandbags, walls, downed trees, craters
  • Modified C cap so it is Entirely underground and not so wide
  • C and D will likely enable at the same time
  • Adding larger entrances to a few spots on the bunker
  • Germans wont spawn so far away after A is capped

Thanks for any input!

Upvote 0
Granted, my play time on the map has been limited. 5 matches maybe? Only one defending. Accordingly, most of my comments are related to the atmosphere and environment, not so much with caps and such.

I'd agree that having an approach would be a good addition, it feels now like you just spawn on the side of a hill, there's no feeling of how large or how high it is. The battle began as the Rangers left the town and approached the hill. This would also break the flow of the battle up a bit, it feels like a single push right now without variety.

The bunkers are good as you ascend, but there's nothing on top. It was specifically an observation point with a high bunker. It was also steeper, but I know that's out of the scope of a rework.

The hill itself doesn't feel like it's already been fought over, more craters, foxholes, stumps, downed trees and debris would be great. It was heavily fortified, there would have clear lines of sight from the bunkers with fewer standing trees. It was also a rocky hill, so more of them would be great for cover.

From one of the links below:
The attack lasted an hour. Germans fled from the hill, but it was only half way to victory. Rangers but received a lot of casualties, however, were trying to dig on the acquired area. But it was not so easy, because the whole hill was covered with slippery slate. Everywhere bothered stones and roots of trees. The best protection were fallen trees and craters artillery

I find the gunfights now are predominantly taking place behind walls, which in game begins to feel limiting. Since we can't adjust our stance in game, it feels like a whole lot of jack-in-the-boxing. Irregular cover allows for more nuanced peeking.

The tin shed/leantos from bridges are out of place, I could see them in a farm or lumbering environment, but not here.

Here's some interesting reference info for those who are into the history.

http://triggertimeforum.yuku.com/topic/7137#.VltIQnarRaQ

http://ww2talk.com/forums/topic/56948-battlefield-tour-huertgen-forest-2015/

http://www.2ndratp.pun.pl/hill---7.htm

Upvote 0