• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map [MAP] TE-TheEaglesNest

Status
Not open for further replies.

shakenbake

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 22, 2011
USA
EAGLES NEST B5

Before I mention anything about this map I first have express my sincere gratitude to Harley for helping me make the final adjustments & tweaks so the first version of this map could be released. I also want to thank him for the great trees that are really fitting for The Eagles Nest. Harley I know we are in different time zones but if I could I would by you the beverage of your choice and give you a toast! Cheers mate! :D

So let me start out by saying I really enjoy RO2 to the extent I created this map. Before I embarked on this four month journey I had no clue what UDK/SDK was and I thought a brush was something you used on your house! ;) Although I didn't have a clue I pushed ahead with a map that presents a scenario I thought would provide some interesting game play. For those of you like me (no clue) my advice is don't give up and don't hesitate to ask for help from others in these forums....they guys/gals making these maps on their own time are pretty amazing and I salute all of you.

Okay enough of that let's get to the map!

SCENARIO: The Kelsteinhaus or as we Americans call it "Eagles Nest" was completed in the summer of 1938, prior to its formal presentation to Hitler on his 50th birthday on April 20, 1939. It is situated on a ridge at the top of the Kehlstein mountain 1,834 m (6,017 ft). Although the Kehlsteinhaus's museum states that it was captured by a member unit of the US 101st Airborne Division and includes a picture of the unit's shoulder sleeve insignia, there was previous covert mission by the Russians that occurred on a foggy and dark night. As it was covert mission it never got into the history books and little of anything is known of the outcome. Relive this covert mission as the attacking Russians or as the defending Germans. The battle begins at the AIRFIELD, progresses to the GERMAN OUTPOST, and then a final push to the infamous EAGLES NEST! You definitely will have to use the vegetation, cover, structures, limited visibility, and various paths and footbridges, and most of all teamwork to win this battle. Good luck!

B1 NOTES
- No radios yet (later release)
- No arty (probably will not have arty on this map)
- No Bots yet (later release)
- No Covernodes (later release)

B2 NOTES
- Added a significant amount of trees in strategic areas.
- The first Russian spawn is now fully protected and won't be subject to spawn killing
- Made it a little darker and foggier for even a little more atmosphere and intensity.
- All CAP ZONES have been reduced in size especially the Eagles Nest (now just the building is the cap zone)

B3 NOTES
- Active radios for recon and respawn
- Plenty of ammo resupply locations
- Yes you can run bots! :)
- Changed the headlights on the cars...just for you Mike!
- Added some additional ambient sounds...add to the dark mood. :)
- Adjusted spawns so people/bots didn't fall through the map.
- Shortened the game length just a little as I thought it was too long.

B4 NOTES
- Fixed critical spawn protection issue.
- Tunnel system added for Russians to use as they push for the Eagles Nest.
- Added artillery! :D

B5 NOTES
- Fixed critical spawn protection issue...ok really did this time! :D
- Additional tunnel system added under the German Outpost (B).
- Added some additional ambient sounds and did some tweaking of the lighting.
- Fixed some terrain issues.
- Round limit set to 20 minutes.

B5 PLAYER FILE

http://www.mediafire.com/?0dmw3pbpk8re3a3

B5 SERVER FILE

http://www.mediafire.com/?ba102wla5hf4458

Red Orchesta HOS: EaglesNest Beta Final Release - YouTube

YouTube Video- Tips for the attacking Russians.

RO2 MOD MAP EAGLES NEST (B5) - YouTube

New Tunnel Entrance/Exit...
Spoiler!

Ladder Entrance/Exit to "B"
Spoiler!

In Tunnel...it's a tight fit!
Spoiler!

It's a maze down there! lol
Spoiler!

Tunnel Entrance/Exit top of German Outpost
Spoiler!

Search lights on...yes it's a night map! :D
Spoiler!

The final objective the Eagles Nest rest in the shadows...
Spoiler!

Be forewarned this is not your typical RO2 map.....it has steep hills, it's dark, and can be very tough to take the Eagles Nest unless you work together and take advantage of the tunnels that favor the Russians. I am pretty much done with this map and now am moving on to our next project The Fuhrerbunker.

Cheers!
sHaKeNbAkE

Last edited:
Nice map. I looked through it. It gave me a lot of motivation to build mine. You should optimize your bsp. You have some funky lines causing some funky textures. It might be too late though since you already added all those rooms. You can also right click on the surfaces and give them the same alignment so you don't have those 45 degree angle textures with the 90 degree angle ones next to each other. What I usually do is select all my "walls" and change alignment to planar wall. Then I select my "floors" and change to planar floor. This aligns all the funky triangles sides.

Upvote 0
Nice map. I looked through it. It gave me a lot of motivation to build mine. You should optimize your bsp. You have some funky lines causing some funky textures. It might be too late though since you already added all those rooms. You can also right click on the surfaces and give them the same alignment so you don't have those 45 degree angle textures with the 90 degree angle ones next to each other. What I usually do is select all my "walls" and change alignment to planar wall. Then I select my "floors" and change to planar floor. This aligns all the funky triangles sides.

Good feedback and thank you...I have a lot to learn! :D

Upvote 0
Hi,

I downloaded player and server files and installed. probleme package map error Harleys-custom_assets

That's super weird, the trees are cooked into the map and shouldn't be trying to reference an outside upk.
For the last version I tested for shake I even deleted the Harleys-custom_assets.upk out of any folder to make sure it wasn't somehow referencing it. I ran the map with no errors and the trees showed up as they should.

Shake you may want to pull these links until we work it out.

Bummer I know.

Upvote 0
At first the game crashed at the start. Then I remember you send me your uncooked package to test. (Harleys_Custom_Assets.upk) I had to remove that from my unpublished folder as it made the game crash while starting this map. Once I removed that it worked. As I experienced to the bone with Coldsteel the game just dont like custom packages.

Good atmosphere but I wonder how it plays with B and C so far devided.
Spawnin 200 meters from C and 100 from B.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Shake it looks like the map is looking for my '3d grass' which you may have placed and forgotten to do the 'make a copy' into your map, so it's still looking for it in my upk it seems.
Not sure why I can run the map fine in game with the upk completely deleted though. Must keep it in cache somewhere. :mad:

Reason I know its looking for the grass is when I open your scene now in the sdk it throws up a 'can't find Harley 3d grass' message, this is since I deleted my upk. But hey the trees worked/showed so we know copying them over to the map works and is the best way to go about. Just have to make sure everything that's used is copied in.

pm me and we'll sort out the fix.

Sorry Shake, I should have deleted my upk earlier and caught this.
Ahh it's a fun learning experience is it? :)

edit: I guess it worked for Danh and Bobsynergy because they both have been testing my upk too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
After hundreds of hours of work on this map I can get it to cook to save my life....I'm ready to throw the towel in. Any help would be appreciated and just so folks know I am not interested in the competition....just want to get this map out so I can enjoy it with other players.

Very frustrated...

shakenbake

What happens when you want to cook ? And send all the files to see what I can do. What my eyes see my hands will destroy.... So you'll never know.

Upvote 0
What happens when you want to cook ? And send all the files to see what I can do. What my eyes see my hands will destroy.... So you'll never know.
Thanks Drecks able to run map now on server and player files working fine. Only issue now is not being able to spawn...just hover around map. Spawn works fine in PIE and if you just run the map (not on server) but can't spawn on server?

Any ideas?

Upvote 0
Thanks Drecks able to run map now on server and player files working fine. Only issue now is not being able to spawn...just hover around map. Spawn works fine in PIE and if you just run the map (not on server) but can't spawn on server?

Any ideas?

Drecks I noticed all the meshes have been placed as MeshObstacles instead of StaticMeshes. I mentioned to Shake that he'll have to swap them for StaticMeshes for bot paths and Pylons to work properly. Could that be effecting player spawning as well maybe? Long shot I know...

Upvote 0
Whats strange is that there are no spawn issues when I play either in PIE or if I load the map while in game...works just fine. It's only when trying to spawn when the map is running on our server...very strange?

Yeah it's weird. A lot of stuff is different in PIE which can be different again loading in game (console command). Online is different again.

For example covernodes don't work in Pie (last time I looked) but work in game using the console command. And not all bugs show until it's server time. yay! Makes it hard to test thoroughly. Setting up a RO2server setup on your own machine is the only real way to get the same results as online. Then you load the map up through the LAN part of the browser.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.