• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map [MAP] Battle of Kursk: Belenikhino

Six_Ten

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 12, 2006
aztecmod.darkesthourgame.com
For all you long-range tankers:

5 km x 5 km open battlefield built on digital elevation model of the real location.

July 12, 1943

First beta test version

TE-Kursk_B1

Playerfiles:

Unzip the file with folders and put the Custom and Maps folders into \Documents\My Games\RedOrchestra2\ROGame\Published\CookedPC

You want to wind up with Props_Kursk.upk in ROGame/Published/CookedPC/Custom
and
TE-Kursk_B1.roe inside ROGame/Published/CookedPC/Maps

To play solo start RO2. Press ~ to open console. Type Open TE-Kursk_B1?minplayers=60 (or however many bots you want), hit Enter, and have fun!

Serverfiles:
(unless you're running a server you don't need these.)

All tanks.

At this point it is fairly basic. I need to see how humans play on it. So far it has just been me and 59 bots destroying tanks.

We might get terrible framerates or perfect fast fps. I really don't know. This is an experiment. As far as I know it is the largest map ever made for Red Orchestra (larger than Krivoi Rog even).

I will welcome feedback in this thread. I use this as my to-do list. Also at this stage it is your wishlist. If there are things you really like, let me know so I can keep them. If there are things to improve, post them too.

A heads up: this is not yet a "pretty" map. As I said above this is for testing how players behave on it. To that end I've included blocked-in forests in their real-world positions. They look like ugly brown blobs now, but their main purpose is to block sightlines and prevent movement.

I am interested in all kinds of feedback on this, even stuff like "hey what are those brown blobs," but I especially will appreciate hearing how your teams play the map.

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 2
  • E5281.jpg
    E5281.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I mapped Prokhorovka first, then started to think that it reminded me of Black Day July. The date, the terrain is similar, and so on, until I finally looked in the info for the RO map; this location is just a few kilometers south on the same date. It isn't a remake of Black Day, and the terrain is much flatter and more open.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I mapped Prokhorovka first, then started to think that it reminded me of Black Day July. The date, the terrain is similar, and so on, until I finally looked in the info for the RO map; this location is just a few kilometers south on the same date. It isn't a remake of Black Day, and the terrain is much flatter and more open.

The most important thing is that its a large scale tank map, any real screenies?

Upvote 0
Time to get some Tiger's and IS's into the fray now...

Tiger, Panther, Elefant (Ferdinand), PZ4, PZIII, etc.. - T34/76, T34/85, T76, KV1, KV2, BT7, BT5, etc..

Points to ponder;
The Battle of Kursk took place when German and Soviet forces confronted each other on the Eastern Front during World War II in the vicinity of the city of Kursk, (450 kilometers/280 miles south of Moscow) in the Soviet Union in July and August 1943

In April 1943, work began on two new heavy tanks, the JS-1 armed with a D-5T 85mm gun and the JS-2 armed with a 122mm U-11 howitzer.

The Iosif Stalin tank (or IS tank, also known as the Joseph Stalin tank), was a heavy tank developed by the Soviet Union during World War II and first used in the Kursk area in September 1943. The tanks in the series are also sometimes called JS tanks.

The heavy tank was designed with thick armor to counter the German 88 mm guns, and carried a main gun that was capable of defeating the German Tiger and Panther tanks. It was mainly a breakthrough tank, firing a heavy high-explosive shell that was useful against entrenchments and bunkers.

The IS-2 was put into service in April 1944, and was used as a spearhead in the Battle of Berlin by the Red Army in the final stage of the war. A massive 122mm main gun had 3 times the kinetic force of the 76mm used on the KV series, but Russian tank production concentrated mostly on the T-34 as it was cheaper and easier to produce. 3,854 IS-2 deployed.

It was during the battle Kursk that the Russians made famous the ramming of Panzer tanks with T34's.

Last edited:
Reactions: Six_Ten
Upvote 0
Here you go: 2654 m shot on a t-34

FFS I'll need to get new glasses now,or a huge screen magnifier..........lol
I'll need a few valleys to be able to sneak into shooting range, or maybe just change my resolution to 800x600, or could you make the enemy tanks bright pink, and twice the size they normally are.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
FFS I'll need to get new glasses now,or a huge screen magnifier..........lol
I'll need a few valleys to be able to sneak into shooting range, or maybe just change my resolution to 800x600, or could you make the enemy tanks bright pink, and twice the size they normally are.

Just drive right up close to them :D

Upvote 0
Kursk Update

Kursk Update

I feel like Johnny Appleseed having planted 5000 trees over the past couple days.

Still trying different ways to cut the drawcalls -- if I group a lot of individual trees into statics of ~ 5,.000 polys each will that improve performance?

Also reworked the terrain shaders, added grasses at intersections and interesting viewpoints, added the houses of the villages.

Attachments

• 2012-07-11_00026.jpg
    2012-07-11_00026.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 2012-07-11_00048.jpg
    2012-07-11_00048.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 2012-07-11_00023.jpg
    2012-07-11_00023.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 2
Upvote 0
Thanks Yoshiro. My idea so far is to select goups of the trees and export as obj, then run through the fbx convertor to change into static meshes and replace the individual trees with the new grouped model.

What I'm really after is a way to make a nice fuzzy looking forest with low overhead render cost. Any suggestions in that line will be appreciated.

Upvote 0