• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Low Shadow Quality = HUGE ADVANTAGE

drswank

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 10, 2011
To Forum Admin: Don't move this to the Bug Section. This isn't a feature that will be fixed, and all users deserve to know about this advantage.

I walked into my roommates room last night while we were playing RO2, and i noticed that all the character models (even when in shadowy/dark places where the sun doesn't reach) are glowing bright as if they were glowing! I was like "what the hell?" He told me he turned down his shadow quality to low or off, and ever since, he can see characters like they're glowing bright no matter where they are, creating quite a distinct advantage.

On my screen, with all graphics on high, when people are in dark places, it can range from difficult to very difficult to see other players, depending on how well they're hidden. But, based on what I saw on my roommate's screen, I'll be turning off/lowering shadows to acquire this advantage until it's fixed.

New photos on new maps, at ranges of 100meters:

you can clearly see the advantage here:
2011-09-04_00012.jpg

Up and to the left of my iron sights:
2011-09-04_00009.jpg

Two little heads in a bunker:
2011-09-04_00010.jpg

A more subtle but distinct advantage where I killed three-in-a-row here:
2011-09-04_00013.jpg

Some older photos of when I first discovered the bug:

2011-09-04_00005.jpg

2011-09-04_00003.jpg

2011-09-04_00002.jpg

2011-09-04_00004.jpg

Last edited:
This is a huge problem. Just played on apartments a little bit.

Was in basement of propaganda house. I was behind crates in the back near the bathroom and the boarded up window facing german spawn.

I see a german running outside towards the door to the prop basement. I line him up thinking I have time as he can't possibly see me. What happens next? He mows me down with his MP40.

Ain't NO WAY in hell he could have seen me. I was in shadows deep within a house; he was in the sunlight. I've been in that guys same position and could not see the people inside.

Upvote 0
This is a huge problem. Just played on apartments a little bit.

Was in basement of propaganda house. I was behind crates in the back near the bathroom and the boarded up window facing german spawn.

I see a german running outside towards the door to the prop basement. I line him up thinking I have time as he can't possibly see me. What happens next? He mows me down with his MP40.

Ain't NO WAY in hell he could have seen me. I was in shadows deep within a house; he was in the sunlight. I've been in that guys same position and could not see the people inside.

Well you 'DiedTrying' :p. I had to use that.

Anyway, I don't really want to mess with my video setting to try it out, but if this does happen then that is a serious problem. Maybe it's supposed to be like Eagle Vision in Assassin's Creed.

Upvote 0