• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Long range audible bullet impacts on enemy. Why?

LugNut

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 12, 2011
Admittedly, it's a minor issue, but I find it bizarre that you can hear bullet impacts on an enemy at 175m+, yet you can't hear them hit anything else. Not much different than a visual hit indicator once you get used to hearing it. Just keep shooting until you hear splatter :(

Not a fan. Anyway to turn it off?

Reactions: Zookerman
I find the headshot sound to be the most satisfying sound in any game I've played to date. That metallic *PLINK* plus the wet-meat-hitting-a-wall sound is very satisfying.

Realistic? Not in the least.

Agreed. Nothing pleases me more than headshotting some poor Russian who popped their head out of a slit trench out at just the right time. That, or medium-long range shots on enemy targets running along grey/wooden walls; blood spatter+bullet holes mark the wall while blood/evidence of your shot marks the corpse.

Upvote 0
I find the headshot sound to be the most satisfying sound in any game I've played to date. That metallic *PLINK* plus the wet-meat-hitting-a-wall sound is very satisfying.

Realistic? Not in the least.

It is unrealistic from a hundred yards or more away. i find it to be irritating at that point. I don't mind it close up, but from far away it shouldnt be happening.

Upvote 0
It is unrealistic from a hundred yards or more away. i find it to be irritating at that point. I don't mind it close up, but from far away it shouldnt be happening.

Like I said, I'm not even going to pretend it's realistic, but it is an immensely satisfying sound to hear when one of the jack-in-the-box pop up riflemen try to get into a "who's faster" aiming duel with me.

Hint: It's the guy hovering his sights over exactly where your head is going to pop up with the range dialed in and everything.

Upvote 0
Admittedly, it's a minor issue, but I find it bizarre that you can hear bullet impacts on an enemy at 175m+, yet you can't hear them hit anything else. Not much different than a visual hit indicator once you get used to hearing it. Just keep shooting until you hear splatter :(

Not a fan. Anyway to turn it off?

It makes the game "More Accessible"

Upvote 0
Proud God is correct, it should belong in a mode and that mode is not reallistic. But it is great feeling to hear that sound after you popped off a round. But honestly this should be kept in for the time being because people who want the game reallistic can deal with it while people are thinking about buying the game or not need a good feeling or motive to buy the game, and if they see a gameplay video and see the satisfying battle system whether its on realistic or standard, i dont care if we make it so a bullet from a pistol will blow a guys hand off, if it gets more players on the game then im happy

Upvote 0
I admit I find it satisfying as well, but you shouldn't hear it at range, it's just a cheesy hit detector in that case. And if you're going to hear it, you should hear other impacts as well, that would be cool. I like in ARMA that your bullet impacts almost always show up on objects and kick up dirt. Visually anyway.

Upvote 0
I've never fired a gun at a person, but sometimes you just 'know'. You throw a ball real far you can feel it in your gut that you are going to hit whatever it is you are aiming for. You may not hear it with your ears but you feel it in your entire body.

When firing a rifle at 150m, I know I'm scoring a hit even before the kill messages report it. The thuds and plinks when scoring a hit makes me 'feel' the gun, it makes me feel like the game is responding the same way I would if I put the ball through the hoop half way across the court. Everyone knows what the sound is like when a basket ball goes through the net. Watch a 3rd pointer on video without sound and tell me you're not imagining hearing the sound in your head.

I'm not arguing that this is a realistic feature, but for me it is immensely immersive. I did it. I scored a perfect headshot. I saw it. I heard it from across the map. I know exactly what it sounded like to the mate sitting right next to him. Show me the replay without sound, I will still hear it. Sweeeeet!

Reactions: Josef Nader
Upvote 0
You don't need an artificial sound maker to confirm your gut instinct...

_________

Crunchy meat sound? You mean the shredding card board right?

I've shot deer up close and personal and it's more of a dull thud than anything. and the majority of the time you hear nothing.

Sometimes on 500m+ shots with a large caliber on a large animal (moose/elk) you'll hear the thud.

Upvote 0