• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

LMG Hip-Firing

Never watched the second vid but the first one proves nothing. That guy's a beefcake and obviously eats lots of beef. Could the average soldier in Stalingrad, who's had 2 hours sleep in the last 48 (if he's lucky) and is getting 100 grams of bread per day (if he's lucky) run around and fight in combat, and still fire form the hip or even from the iron sight, standing up?

It doesn't take some body builder to pick up 30 ~ 35lb object to shoulder height :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Seriously some suggestions you guys make.. If this game was under your control i would fear the messy, unplayable outcome.

On one hand (in another thread) when i say the soldiers move too fast, most of you reply things like; "movement speed is fine these soldiers are trained and have stamina blabla", on the other hand you want to handicap players who use such stamina to fire mg's from the hipped position. Now suddenly the soldier shouldn't be able to move.

You want realism but you want to nerf stuff.

And don't talk to me about balance. Balance in itself is not realistic.

Upvote 0
The main things I took away from that is that

a) It should be horribly inaccurate - that thing was jumping all over the place as he fired it.

b) Friendly suppression - for those who say that a friendly shooting by your head shouldn't suppress you just look at those 2 guys in front of the MG-34 as he started shooting. They nearly shat themselves.

Both already the case.

Hipfiring is ok, its hard to hit anything further away than 20 meters anyway. And that already involves spending a full drum to be sure you hit.

But i agree on the point, that you should slow down drastically if you shoot AND move. I for one usually stop and shoot from the hip.

Upvote 0
Never watched the second vid but the first one proves nothing. That guy's a beefcake and obviously eats lots of beef. Could the average soldier in Stalingrad, who's had 2 hours sleep in the last 48 (if he's lucky) and is getting 100 grams of bread per day (if he's lucky) run around and fight in combat, and still fire form the hip or even from the iron sight, standing up?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW9gVEYCfqY" target="_blank">MG42 Full Auto Belt Fed - Good Shooter - YouTube

That guy is no beefcake, from 0:35 :cool:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

if he can carry it he can irosight it

Upvote 0
The way hip firing the MG34 in RO2 is portrayed IS realistic and its accuracy is close to the real thing.
It is quite easy to hit targets at 50 meters while hip firing the MG3(modernised 7.62x51mm MG42) which is similar in layout to the MG34 and thus its handling and the way the machinegunner uses it are practically identical. From my own experiences as a MG3 machinegunner all there is to say about hipfiring a 12 kg machinegun + 3 kg ammo is that it is surprising easy and effective and it doesn't take much physical strength to do it either.

I also own a MG34 and its handling are so similar to the MG3 that if you know how to operate one you instinctively also knows how to operate the other and you would only need a few minutes of instruction to know the major differences - although the ergonomics of the MG34 is poorer than the MG42/MG3 I might add.

Having to press 'Ironsights' first in order to hip fire the MG34 would be the unrealistic thing to do and adding more dispersion of the rounds would also be unrealistic.

The MG34 right now is as realistic as it gets and it is not realism to nerf it the way the OP and others wants it.

Reactions: Kenza and I. Kant
Upvote 0
I would have liked to have seen gun weight implemented into the game. (along with real weapon hit detection...as in your pole vault...I mean mosin nagant w/ bayo hitting a wall would slow you down)

The gun weight would make you slightly slower at rotating and bringing up sights. I haven't noticed anything in game to suggest this is a current feature.

That's what I'm talking about. Gun weight also wouldn't allow to run around with a K98 and a MG34 on your back... At least not with full stamina.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Last night I took a shot at a machine gunner exiting a building. Lucky for him I am terrible with bolt action rifles, and when he swung around to aim at me and squeezed the trigger while strafing to the left I was AWESTRUCK by how awesome he looked. Straight up Terminator style. I just stood there watching with my jaw at the floor, didn't even work the bolt, I just stood there and got mowed down (pressumably only knee-shots to further cement the T2 imagery).

I don't think there is anything seriously wrong with MG hip firing as it is, but it should be complemented with raised sights without using the bipods. Overall I would like to see weapons getting readied a little bit slower after moving, it would eliminate much of the superhuman run & gun. I'm not just talking MGs though, I'd like to see it applied to all weapons, so it is outside the scope of this thread.

It reminds me more of Rambo when this happens.

Last night on apartments there was a guy running around the map hip firing an MG on everyone, only he wasn't even needing to charge in on people to do it. He was standing in ranges where it is sometimes difficult to hit enemies with the PPSH, but was running around mowing people down with great accuracy and success.

I think this particular guy was botting though, but who really knows.

P.S.: What is this forums definition of a "Moment". It seems that a moment means "All the time". "The server is currently too busy at the moment".

Upvote 0
Not this again.

Here let me try it on you!

You want 40 assault rifles that barely existed?

Go back to CoD.

Nicely said.

Tripwire started out with a particular type of game, I don't understand why their success has led them down a road where they felt they needed to dumb down their game into a more "Mainstream" feel. Just stick to your roots and keep on making what you started out with, your success came from what you started out with, why on earth would you think it wouldn't stay that way?

Upvote 0
I love hipfiring my mg. Especially in buildings when you can just tear up the walls with it. But if someone is readied with his rifle against me I wont stand a chance.
It has high recoil which you have to compensate and accuracy is so-so but yeah, you feel like a terminator at times :)

Also, stamina goes down much faster and movement is absolutely slower than with other guns. But I'm sure everyone has noticed by now that this is also true if you pick up other gear too.

Reactions: I. Kant
Upvote 0
Have to say was speccying a guy using an MG last night

He was running around rambo style shooting from the hip on the move and recoil wasn't there at all - Now this may be down to some kind of script or macro

But it gets a bit silly when you have a guy with an MG never deploying it just using it as a auto weapon with less recoil than the mp40 etc and more bullits

Anyone else seen this

Upvote 0

yes as a matter of historical fact, they could.

Upvote 0
MG-34 Tactics

MG-34 Tactics

In copies of the WWII/PreWW2 German Army machine gunners handbook/manual it covers and shows the soldat how to operate and use the MG34 - there it clearly shows how to deploy the MG-34 via bi-pod (prone), tripod and in the assault w/ it slung from the right shoulder and fired from the hip in the attack using an assault drum (a belt can be used but a drum is easier when moving). It also shows how the weapon can be mounted and used in an AA role (anti aircraft).

I have fired an MG-34 live using both a 50 round belt and the 50 round assault drum. The 34 is lighter than the beast MG42 (which takes great strenght to move and fire). Best for safety's sake using blanks, and then move and fire full auto - it can be done. Then try live 8mm rounds and it can be done but as with any actual live weapon one must simply get used to it - but the experience is enlightening and gives you a better apprecaition for the former operators. In reality the 34 was designed as an assault weapon of sorts to support the attack of a zug (squad) on the move in taking an objective (same as the British Bren or the American BAR) where the weapon is the anchor of an attack - same ol' principle where the gun lays down suppressive fire that allows the riflemen to move up, once the riflemen are at the objective the MG gunner and assistant gunner move up to repeat the process again and again in taking ground, etc. It is completely realistic and historically accurate to move/advance with the MG34 and fire it from the hip as one would do with any LMG to suppress the enemy as the riflemen move up or back, whatever.

This method even goes back to the WWI French Chauchat or the British Lewis gun - same idea. The German machinegunners (and British) were quite good at advancing and firing at the hip - but remember they were trained to do that, there was nothing "cowboy" about it - it was part of their tactics, etc. Ingame it is not quite the same as most players are cowboy dashing about every man for himself and everyone is armed with a pistol (completely unhistorically accurate as pistols were for officers, ncos, crew served weapons operators, drivers, radio operators, etc etc).

Now if we played accurately a machine gunner would support the attacking infantrymen who in turn would protect the gunner but ahahah this never happens - once the gunner suppresses an area the riflemen are gone daddy gone and the gunner is left alone and an ideal target for the enemy sniper. I see this every time I play. I do apprecaite the top offs (infantrymen resupplying me with ammo - but they get points for that too, nevertheless it is apprecaited) but like with armor - the infantry rarely support - there is no recipocation but it is a game and everyone is on here to have fun which is much like cowboys and indians and there's nothing wrong with that...

Going house to house with an MG takes practice, as does firing from the hip ingame, I'm still working on this (=OF=SS-Hermann if you see me), where aiming from the hip can be done but man oh man it takes practice practice practice. Whichever... But on this subject, firing the MG34 from the hip in an attack is what they did, and in the machine gunners manual (1937 to be exact - you can still find original manuals for sale) where this is one of the 4 ways in which the weapon can be deployed. The Russian DP was also to be used in this role, it is however difficult to move with that large drum on top of your weapon as the balance is not there as you have with the MG 34 or a British Bren or American BAR or Japanese Type 96/97/99. This is the infantry role of the LMG it is light so it can be picked up, carried and fired on the go and easily set up in a defensive position if so need be.

Upvote 0
I don't think you should have to deploy, but definitely move slower with less stamina. An mg 34 weighed over 40lbs, so you didn't whip it around.

40lb? Are you carrying 20lb of 8mm?

German MG'ers were trained to fire from the hip to suppress enemy infantry during assaults so the riflemen could get in among them.

I just don't understand why the in-game MG'er only holds one leg of the bipod. It's much easier, and less painful to squeeze the two together, and hold them like that.

Upvote 0
As an almost pure MG user I have to say that hip firing the MG takes a lot of skill and is something I never use outside of clearing individual rooms with one guy in it.

Most of the time my results from hipfiring the MG lead me to "cut off" the enemy at the legs since the MG is so low slung. It normally takes 4 bullets to drop them and most of the time I get injured in the process. It is almost always better to have my pistol out, as I can shoot a target with moderate success at 75m but have no hope to hipfire my MG at that range.

Reactions: Nebelkind
Upvote 0