• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level 7 and specializations

Level 7 and specializations

• Yes!

Votes: 19 28.8%
  • No! :(

Votes: 40 60.6%
  • Wtf?

Votes: 7 10.6%

• Total voters

Skalli

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 2, 2010
Germany
Dear Killing Floor players,

I know, there are a lot of other "increase the perk level!!!"-threads and I don't want to create another one of "level 7: double requirements of level 6, level 8: double requirements of level 7 (and so on)".

What I want is a final perk release with some challenges and special conditions.
I thought about this idea for many hours and I'm still thinking, that perk level 7 should be released.

Also this new perk level should give the player the feeling, that he's finally (more) specialized and a bit more unique.

I will explain my idea with three examples: Medic, Commando and Sharpshooter.
Before explaining I'll tell you the level 7 perk system.

What will change with level 7?

Well, of course the perk icon need two golden stars - the most interesting point!
Kidding aside.

Actual we have a Medic requirement of 100k healing points.
Imo there is one way to make the level 7 perk more interesting and not only bringing the requirement up to a factor of x2, x2,25 or x2,5.

Before I start explaining I think removing actual start weapon of Medic would help balancing the game (in Suicidal, HoE and maybe a higher difficulty, but that's not the point here). In wave 1 a Medic can also heal with the syringe.
And it's no problem to buy the medic gun in wave 2.

1. The factor of actual requirements x2,5 or x2,2 for reaching level 7.

Medic:
100k * 2,5 = 250k

1.2 Commando:
3600 stalkers * 2,5 = 9000 stalkers
5,5M damage * 2,2 = 12,1M damage

1.3 Sharpshooter
8500 headshots * 2,25 = 19125 headshots

2. Make the level up unique!
You can choose between two options as Medic, Commando and SS. But only one time.
// Notice: Maybe there should be a possibility to test the different specializations

2.1 Medic:

first option - the ranged Medic
- start on Suicidal/HoE games with the medic gun
- your medic gun will have the abilty to shoot three healing darts now.
(your syringe heal won't be affected)
- you've learned how to use the medic gun useful, it's easier for you to carry it now - you can carry to two more ammo boxes(? don't know whether it's the correct word)
- Medic doesn't spawn with the two more ammo boxes
- reduce the bloat bile resistence to 65%

2.1.2 second option - the melee Medic
- increase the bloat bile resistence to 80% (discussible)
- your syringe has the ability to heal up to three times
(your medic gun won't be affected)
- increase movement speed while taking syringe by 2,5% for max six seconds
- reduce the number of ammo boxes, that could be carried by a medic by two
- 75% discount on body armor (discussible)
(- because often using syringe and not using medic gun often, >reduce< the discount of medic gun to 85%) (discussible)

2.2 Commando:

first option - the long-ranged Commando
- can see cloaked stalkers from 20m
- can see enemy health from 22m
- spawn with scar (half of max ammo)
- reduce maximum clip size (Bullpup/AK47/SCAR) by one

2.2.2 second option - the mid-ranged Commando
- 40% faster reload with all weapons
- 30% larger Bullpup/AK47/SCAR clip
- up to 5 Zed-time extensions

2.3 Sharpshooter:

2.3.1 first option - the Gunslinger
- specialized mid-range guy
- 85% less recoil with handcannon/pistol
- 70% faster reload with handcannon/pistol
- 75% discount on handcannon/pistol
- spawn with handcannon

2.3.2 second option - the long-range SS (sniper)
- spawn with Crossbow
- 145% more headshot damage with Crossbow and M14 (discussible)
- 10% discount on Crossbow bolts

3. All perks level 7?
No. I think you should only have the possibility to level up three of your seven perks to level 7. You can't level it up in game. You have to go to "Profile and Archievements" and select a button like "Level up" and after the click you'll see - everytime you'll click this button - an information, that you can only level up three of your perks and specialize only one time by perk.

After closing this popup you can select the perk, you want to level up. After clicking on it, a popup will open, which will show the two different specializations. After selecting one, you have to click the OK-Button and - like Windows OS - confirm your selection.

// Notice: maybe there should be an option to reset every specialization two times. So you CAN reset it but you CAN'T level up another perk, if you have already leveled up three perks.

I hope you like my idea(s).

The attributes of the different specializations aren't final, of course.
English isn't my mother language, that's why I didn't find any "creative" names for the specializations. Only wanted to show you my thoughts about the leve 7 perk system.

Last edited:
I say no to any additional perk levels in any shape or form.

And the reasoning behind this is purely personal. I don't care about the perks, my perks range from lvl2 to lvl6. I see the perks as the means to get a challenge at any stage.

I really do not think additional perk levels will bring anything to the game. Unless you it's in conjunction with an entirely new game difficulty that is insanely hard.

Although I must say you at least put some effort into the implementation beyond just "MOAR PERKZ!" Big bonus points. =)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't care about the perks, my perks range from lvl2 to lvl6. I see the perks as the means to get a challenge at any stage.

I really do not think additional perk levels will bring anything to the game. Unless you it's in conjunction with an entirely new game difficulty that is insanely hard.
Okay, you don't care about them. But if you don't care about, why should a level 7 not exist so?

I'm also thinking about another game difficulty..

Upvote 0
Sorry I wasn't very clear.

If new perk levels were implemented I wouldn't kick up a fuss but I'd rather see the time and money go into the implementation of new content. More ZEDs and features like supported Mission modes.

Additional perks just feels like an unnecessary cosmetic extra. And the levelling of perks has never been very supportive of team play. People would rather fight one another for kills than work together. It's only once players get to level 6 do they seem to play as a team. At least it's been this way in my experience.

Upvote 0
Actually this made me think: sometimes in any serv people seem to "trust" and stick with high level perks. Some of them are unfortunately still noobs even with lvl 6 perk and so maybe lvl 7 could be something like: For example 400 hours played + all perks on lvl 6 already + most (say 90%) of achievements unlocked and then maybe introducing a counter for the amount of times you killed pat on: suicidal and HoE difficulties. Ok i said my bit now let the flame war start LOL.

Janek566

Upvote 0
400 hours played
People would leave their KF on overnight for weeks.
They are still noobs.

all perks on lvl 6 already
As you've already stated, it doesn't take 'skill' to get perks, only time.

most (say 90%) of achievements unlocked
Some people don't like to hunt achievements, so why should they be punished for that? It's their game, they choose how to play it and shouldn't be penalized for it.

introducing a counter for the amount of times you killed pat on: suicidal and HoE difficulties.
This opens the possiblity to players that have spent a lot of time being carried. Playing around good players doesn't necessarily make you a good player.

I think your thread is very well thought out Skalli, but I can't see it doing much good for the balance of the game.

The only idea I like regarding perk changes, is that the stats stay the same, but your levels actually continue. That way, the game remains the same, but people who enjoy the "LevelUp" factor to the game can still continue to do so, while people who don't care, well... don't have to!

Upvote 0
People would leave their KF on overnight for weeks.

errr no? how about server time play?

Some people don't like to hunt achievements, so why should they be punished for that? It's their game, they choose how to play it and shouldn't be penalized for it.

right so putting achievements in the first place was punishing players according to you? I think it actually shows your progress. High difficulty level = high skill, therefore if you have all the HoE achievements then it does really prove your skill.

By the way, i love the way You made your reply bold xD

Janek566

Upvote 0
errr no? how about server time play?

right so putting achievements in the first place was punishing players according to you? I think it actually shows your progress. High difficulty level = high skill, therefore if you have all the HoE achievements then it does really prove your skill.

By the way, i love the way You made your reply bold xD

Janek566

errr no? :p TF2 has idling servers where players just log in then sod off for items. Same would happen here.

Also HoE achievements mean diddly squat. I would put money on the majority of players that have them got them via a glitch or exploit.

@VariousNames Be carefull not to fall to Godwin's Law. :D

Upvote 0
For a skilled team it's not a big problem to beat HoE game. Making perks more powerful will remove challenge at all. Increase max perk level without further bonuses (just cosmetic change, like achievements) - and I vote for it. But extra bonuses - nope. At least while new specimens, or new abilities for existing one aren't added.

Upvote 0
Bleh KF doesnt need new levels which takes abysmal amounts of time to achieve, it was hard enough getting all perks to level 6.

What they should do - or should have done from the beginning - is have eg. 30 levels with very minor rewards for each but it would take far less time advancing beetween the level. The rewards you get at level 30 would be the same youd get as level 6 atm, and it would take as long getting from zero to 30 as it takes from 0 to 6 now, but instead of waiting for a level up 20 hours it would take only eg. 1 game, therefor giving you the feeling you are actually getting somewhere.

Wouldnt really affect the gameplay in anyway, just make it feel a little more.. satisfying, knowing you get a little reward every now and then, not every 20 hours :p

Upvote 0
Bleh KF doesnt need new levels which takes abysmal amounts of time to achieve, it was hard enough getting all perks to level 6.

What they should do - or should have done from the beginning - is have eg. 30 levels with very minor rewards for each but it would take far less time advancing beetween the level. The rewards you get at level 30 would be the same youd get as level 6 atm, and it would take as long getting from zero to 30 as it takes from 0 to 6 now, but instead of waiting for a level up 20 hours it would take only eg. 1 game, therefor giving you the feeling you are actually getting somewhere.

Wouldnt really affect the gameplay in anyway, just make it feel a little more.. satisfying, knowing you get a little reward every now and then, not every 20 hours :p
This man speaks the truth!

Upvote 0