• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Killing Floor loses massive/total appeal after you have defeated the Patty once

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proxyhat

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 17, 2012
What is the point in continuing playing after you defeat the Patty with your friends?

*Achievements is a waste of time. (other than killing the Patty, which is more of a challenge, actually)

*leveling up is 'achievements' less retarded brother, but when the Patty is killed, leveling up just becomes another achievement.

*Playing on a harder difficulty setting is still no fun because you have already killed the Patty. The end goal is very much the same. Doesn't really matter if he is harder to kill now.

*Defeating the Patty on a another map is also just another achievement.

I know people that played the game on 'easy' on the first go because 'normal' was just too hard for non-leveled perks. And when they killed the Patty, which was on the first or second try, the game lost all appeal in a puff. lol.

And I kinda feel the same way about the game. Maybe it is because we are in our 20ties and such things as 'achievements' and unlockables are something we feel are utterly silly in its nature.

Anyone feel the same way about this?

Last edited:
What is the point in continuing playing after you defeat the Patty with your friends?

*Achievements is a waste of time. (other than killing the Patty, which is more for a challenge, actually)

*leveling up is 'achievements' less retarded brother, but when the Patty is killed, leveling up just becomes another achievement.

*Playing on a harder difficulty setting is still no fun because you have already killed the Patty. The end goal is very much the same. Doesn't really matter if he is harder to kill now.

*Defeating the Patty on a another map is also just another achievement.

I know people that played the game on 'easy' on the first go because 'normal' was just too hard for non-leveled perks. And when they killed the Patty, which was on the first or second try, the game lost all appeal in a puff. lol.

And I kinda feel the same way about the game. Maybe it is because we are in our 20ties and such things as 'achievements' and unlockables are something we feel are utterly silly in its nature.

Anyone feel the same way about this?

I know how you can take revenge on KF!

Persuade 10000 other persons to buy KF and then you can laugh at them for being bored....so you think?

Upvote 0
Once you've won a round in Call of Duty, Red Orchestra, or TF2, there's no point in playing again.

Once you get one of the endings in some adventure game, there's no point in playing again.

Once you beat the main story in an RPG, there's no point in playing again.

OP, do you ever play games for you know... fun, or a challenge?

Upvote 0
Once you've won a round in Call of Duty, Red Orchestra, or TF2, there's no point in playing again.

That's hardly the same, imo. Killing Floor has been designed with having a specifically end goal. To kill the Patty. Those other games, don't (in MP). And when you have killed the Patty that end-goal becomes less meaningful after just one time, yes, honestly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That's hardly the same, imo. Killing Floor has been designed with having a specifically end goal. To kill the Patty. Those other games, don't (in MP). And when you have killed the Patty that end-goal becomes less meaningful after just one time, yes, honestly.

End goal is capuring the flag 3 times...?

The fun aspect of KF IMHO is getting teamwork going well, all getting a cohesive group that can play on hard difficulties and deal with any eventualities as they come.

Actually completing the game or getting achievements is just a way of keeping track of how well you are working.

I'd imagine for casual gamers who are here to have fun rather than master the game, a lot of that would be lost on them.

Upvote 0
Don't know about the others, but I simply don't understand how defeating the patriarch once constitutes boredom. I've put over 600 hours into this game and I still feel like I am only lucky whenever I beat the patriarch. I still haven't learned how to deal with him that well, and that's something I strive for.

you want more constructive responses? It sounds like your only reason for playing this game is to defeat the patriarch. Perhaps if you play for a different reason you wont be as bored once you beat the boss on 'teh EZ mode'. Possible other reasons include;
As gibby said,
challenge
but also,
something to do with friends
something to do with people that may become your friends
to see how each game plays out (No two games are ever alike)
leveling
achievements (forces you to play and think differently in many cases)
becoming a better player through increased experience and skill
enjoyment of the gameplay
learning more about the maps
finding new places to camp
trying new loadouts
trying new strategies (kite/camp/combination)
learning better ways to take down various specimen
trying mutators that may change the very nature of the game

I dunno there's probably a bunch of other things too.

Upvote 0
End goal is capuring the flag 3 times...?

The fun aspect of KF IMHO is getting teamwork going well, all getting a cohesive group that can play on hard difficulties and deal with any eventualities as they come.

Actually completing the game or getting achievements is just a way of keeping track of how well you are working.

I'd imagine for casual gamers who are here to have fun rather than master the game, a lot of that would be lost on them.

Well, that's true enough about the end-goal, I suppose, but I guess the difference is that Killing Floor is more of a single-player-type-experience game together with friends which puts more emphasis on the Patty.

Don't know about the others, but I simply don't understand how defeating the patriarch once constitutes boredom. I've put over 600 hours into this game and I still feel like I am only lucky whenever I beat the patriarch. I still haven't learned how to deal with him that well, and that's something I strive for.

you want more constructive responses? It sounds like your only reason for playing this game is to defeat the patriarch. Perhaps if you play for a different reason you wont be as bored once you beat the boss on 'teh EZ mode'. Possible other reasons include;
As gibby said,
but also,
something to do with friends
something to do with people that may become your friends
to see how each game plays out (No two games are ever alike)
leveling
achievements (forces you to play and think differently in many cases)
becoming a better player through increased experience and skill
enjoyment of the gameplay
learning more about the maps
finding new places to camp
trying new loadouts
trying new strategies (kite/camp/combination)
learning better ways to take down various specimen
trying mutators that may change the very nature of the game

I dunno there's probably a bunch of other things too.

I do agree with most of this. The elements like teamwork, improving (skill-wise, not leveling up.), finding new strategies, ect. THOSE are the real thing. The fake once are leveling up, achievements. I hate those.

And yet, still, the end-goal weighs too much, overall. Well, the way I feel is the end-goal. I doubt I can change the way I feel about that. I might intellectually try to change that by trying to put emphasis on the elements of the game that I like, but, well, who knows.

BTW: I never ment to suggest that game has lost total appeal for me personally, but it has lost a rather large amount of it. Like 50%. :p.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
its obvious that your "end-goal" is different than most.

for me and many others, it is to challenge ourselves, and work cohesively as a team against the odds, while also having some laughs with friends.

game getting stale for you? camp different spots, spots that seem like they would be terrible ideas, these are usually the most fun ones. try different loadouts, yes perked weapons are more effective, but using offperk weapons and excelling with them is quite satisfying. and if all else fails, play on some modded servers that completely change the gamestyle or difficulty.

if nothing else works, well then i guess it's time to pick up a new game.

Upvote 0
do you ever play games for you know... fun, or a challenge?
Gaming in the 90's...RIP.
I remember when games were played just because they were fun and you used your imagination to decide what to do once you 'completed' it.

Srsly though op. I fail to see how defeating the boss on one difficulty on one map one time in one way constitutes as complete game appeal being lost. I don't know about you, but my friends and I have great laughs when patty goes flying through the air, aflame, after being blown up. (This applies to just about any specimen...even better is when you get a ZED time for it)

Use your imagination!

Upvote 0
It's the same as any other game. Capture a flag, control a point, kill the other team, etc. For whatever reason you have convinced yourself that killing floor is somehow different to all other games in this aspect, perhaps because it is CO-OP and you're not used to the teamwork? :confused:

So to answer your original question, no, you're the only person who thinks about it that way.

Upvote 0
A few notes.

If in your opinion the "goal" has been achieved after the Patriarch is killed (at which point there is no longer "a point" to playing), then consider that your "goal" may differ from other people's goals.

For instance, some people may be playing for fun or for a challenge. This is why most players who consistently win on a particular difficulty setting eventually try playing on a higher difficulty. Different players also find different loadouts fun, which is why many players will play the same map with the same players on the same difficulty repeatedly but will use different weapons when doing so.

But why the need to ridicule me for having an opinion about this?

It might have something to do with this:

*Achievements is a waste of time.
*leveling up is 'achievements' less retarded brother

If you're less confrontational, you won't get confrontational replies. It's just how the world works.

If you don't agree then simply put it into more constructive wording. It's very immature. Please add what your age is to your opinion about it, if you wish to.

Preaching about immaturity then daring people to state their age as a means of granting their opinions authority is immature in and of itself. So no, I don't think I "wish" to.

Its like sex. Once you've had sex, there's no point in wanting to do it again.

Please don't ever say anything like this ever again. It's just a request. Really.

Upvote 0
A few notes.

If in your opinion the "goal" has been achieved after the Patriarch is killed (at which point there is no longer "a point" to playing), then consider that your "goal" may differ from other people's goals.

For instance, some people may be playing for fun or for a challenge. This is why most players who consistently win on a particular difficulty setting eventually try playing on a higher difficulty. Different players also find different loadouts fun, which is why many players will play the same map with the same players on the same difficulty repeatedly but will use different weapons when doing so.

It might have something to do with this:

If you're less confrontational, you won't get confrontational replies. It's just how the world works.

Preaching about immaturity then daring people to state their age as a means of granting their opinions authority is immature in and of itself. So no, I don't think I "wish" to.

Please don't ever say anything like this ever again. It's just a request. Really.

First, I don't see how a personally opinion about achievements and leveling up should offend anyone. I never said I don't respect that others might feel different. I DO respect and understand that, thank you.

You also missunderstod the thing about age. I was simply interested if there'd be a link between the opinions getting posted and age. Why is that so bad? Age is just a data. When I was younger, <16, I'd play games just for the fun for it. Now at 24 it only makes sense for me to play for the challenge for it. It is just different states of being, really. Nothing right or wrong about such. And we're all different.

Anyhow, it is interrested reading what you guys think/feel about it. I might feel slightly inspired. :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
First, I don't see how a personally opinion about achievements and leveling up should offend anyone. I never said I don't respect that others might feel different. I DO respect and understand that, thank you.

You also missunderstod the thing about age. I was simply interested if there'd be a link between the opinions getting posted and age. Why is that so bad? Age is just a data. When I was younger, <16, I'd play games just for the fun for it. Now at 24 it only makes sense for me to play for the challenge for it. It is just different states of being.

Just as a guess I would say most people here are similar ages. But you say you play for the challenge yet consider playing on higher difficulties pointless. It's a bit contradictive yknow

Upvote 0
Just as a guess I would say most people here are similar ages. But you say you play for the challenge yet consider playing on higher difficulties pointless. It's a bit contradictive yknow

No, no. I ENJOY the challenge that Killing Floor provides me. I am talking about how some of that lovely challenge has faded with killing the Patty. And so doesn't feel quite the same. Which is a turnoff for me to play on. I guess it has made me a little overly depressive :p towards the game , momentarily, at least. I don't think this is contradictive.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Spoiler!

You really don't understand or respect it. Saying you do does not make it so. Reveal the spoiler below for specifics and pay attention to what's colored.

Spoiler!

You're just lying to yourself and anyone else here if you think what's highlighted qualifies as anything other than unfriendly. You have, out of no provocation, decided to label anyone who plays for achievements as playing for something "retarded" and have suggested that anyone who's over 20 and playing KF past the first Patriarch kill is "utterly silly" and "wasting their time." Do you really not understand why this is unfriendly?

Spoiler!

Oh please. You're so transparent that there's no reason to give you a reasonable response. It's almost like you just looked up Dave Barry's guide on "How to Argue Effectively" and are now following the 3rd paragraph's instructions.

If you really, really wanted to understand why people played Killing Floor past the first Patriarch kill, you'd have asked politely (or at least not rudely). For instance, consider your contradictory logic: "Now at 24 it only makes sense for me to play for the challenge for it." You say that after claiming that playing on a higher difficulty is pointless because it's "no fun" even though you just said that at age 24 you no longer play for fun, but just for the challenge. Don't believe me? I'll quote you again:

Spoiler!

Since you're no longer in that "state of being", it only makes sense. Maybe when you're 25 you'll understand.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.