• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

KF Killing Floor is the ONLY fps I don't get nausea playing, any ideas why?

okungnyo

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
Thinking it was an FOV-related issue, I researched Killing Floor's default FOV value (85) and changed Dead Island's and Half-Life 2's FOV values to 85.

Still, I got nausea.

So I went further and even turned off bloom and motion blur.

But still, I get nausea.

Why??

What is it about Killing Floor that I can play it for a whole day and feel completely fine, but I play Half-Life 2 or Dead Island for FIVE (YES, FIVE) FREAKIN' SECONDS (COMPLETELY SERIOUS, NO JOKE) and instantly get nauseous?

Please! Someone shed some light on this! My entire gaming future depends on this!!

note that while KF got a default fov of 85 degrees, that is only the fov on a 4:3 aspect ratio monitor.

If you have a 16:9 aspect ratio monitor like one that is 1920x1080 then the actual fov will be wider (don't feel like calculating atm but i guess somewhere around 100-105 degrees when set to 85 in the menu). So even though the fov number will say 85 the actual number is only correct on traditional 4:3 aspect ratio like most crt's were. Take note as well that killingfloor gives the horizontal fov, while I believe games on the source engine use the vertical fov.

On another note a lot of games these days implement other things when moving, like camera shake, headbob, depth of field, motion blur. All features to make it more visible to the player their character is actually moving or "focusing" (or inability to focus) on a particular area. But can very often create an feeling of nausea especially when your computer monitor takes a big part of your vision.

Sitting further away from your monitor, and eating ginger will probably help a little.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't know how it would work in Dead Island but I can think of a few different things you could do to "troubleshoot" your nausea in HL2 with the developer console, if you're willing to risk some more stomach gymnastics. You can enable the console through Options > Keyboard > Advanced.

The first thing I'd try is lowering your movement speed. Once you're in-game, bring up the console with the ~ key. That key is usually to the left of 1 on the number row. Once you have it up, type in hl2_normspeed 100 and press enter/return to cut your normal movement speed by about half. Press ~ to toggle the console off again and try moving around. You may have to tap your sprint key to make the new speed take effect.

I imagine the viewmodel might also be a cause since its position doesn't change with the camera FOV. Source viewmodels are displayed with their own FOV that you can tweak with viewmodel_fov #. The default value is 54 and 68 is what I typically use when playing Counter-Strike (FOV 90). If you're still having issues with a higher FOV, you could also try disabling the viewmodel entirely with r_drawviewmodel 0 and see if that has an effect.

Vanilla HL2 thankfully doesn't have any head bobbing, so that's a non-issue. I could see camera shake messing with you though. You can get a quick demonstration of this effect by entering shake. If you're having a rough time during the occasional scripted moment, you could enter ent_fire env_shake kill to remove the relevant entity type from the map you're playing. I can only think of a few places it's used in the original HL2 like when you're under a bridge while a train passes overhead, the first time you encounter an energy mortar, etc. There are also some unscripted cases where you'll get shake but the effect should be subtle or short, like the rumble an approaching Strider will give.

These commands shouldn't require cheats to be enabled but in case you'd like to try something else that does, you can do so with sv_cheats 1.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In most FPS games the player has more movement speed over one of our titles. There could also be more "head" movement when the player moves as well that plays a part.

Yes, I thought movement speed might have something to do with it! And how in Half-Life 2, there are no footstep sounds, and it almost seems like you're hovering and zooming above the ground definitely seems to contribute to the nausea!

Dead Island's FOV is very weird, and horrible, regardless of tweaks especially with the even weirder full body awareness. HL2 has weird weapon dragging when you move your mouse around. Perhaps that might be the reason? Also what Yoshi said , head bob can make the strongest gut break.

Yep, I just decided to uninstall Dead Island. Not that fun either, so it's not worth the headache nor the trouble to tweak a million settings to try to find the cause.

note that while KF got a default fov of 85 degrees, that is only the fov on a 4:3 aspect ratio monitor.

If you have a 16:9 aspect ratio monitor like one that is 1920x1080 then the actual fov will be wider (don't feel like calculating atm but i guess somewhere around 100-105 degrees when set to 85 in the menu). So even though the fov number will say 85 the actual number is only correct on traditional 4:3 aspect ratio like most crt's were. Take note as well that killingfloor gives the horizontal fov, while I believe games on the source engine use the vertical fov.

On another note a lot of games these days implement other things when moving, like camera shake, headbob, depth of field, motion blur. All features to make it more visible to the player their character is actually moving or "focusing" (or inability to focus) on a particular area. But can very often create an feeling of nausea especially when your computer monitor takes a big part of your vision.

Sitting further away from your monitor, and eating ginger will probably help a little.

Wow, I did not know FOV was so complicated! FOV is different for 4:3 and 16:9 screens? And there are "horizontal FOV" and "vertical FOV"? What??

I am so confused. How can you know whether a game is using 4:3 FOV or 16:9 FOV? Or whether it is using horizontal FOV or vertical FOV??

And even if you found out what FOV a game is using, how would you convert 4:3 FOV to 16:9 FOV? And then how would you convert a horizontal FOV to vertical FOV??

Sorry I am so confused and Google turns up nothing...

That only means you're addicted to KF, your brain is wired to play in KF, forever. Add me on steam :)

I know you said that as a joke, but it actually makes sense?!?! What if I really am so addicted to Killing Floor that my brain re-wired itself to work only with KF?!?!

Now that's a scary thought...

I don't know how it would work in Dead Island but I can think of a few different things you could do to "troubleshoot" your nausea in HL2 with the developer console, if you're willing to risk some more stomach gymnastics. You can enable the console through Options > Keyboard > Advanced.

The first thing I'd try is lowering your movement speed. Once you're in-game, bring up the console with the ~ key. That key is usually to the left of 1 on the number row. Once you have it up, type in hl2_normspeed 100 and press enter/return to cut your normal movement speed by about half. Press ~ to toggle the console off again and try moving around. You may have to tap your sprint key to make the new speed take effect.

I imagine the viewmodel might also be a cause since its position doesn't change with the camera FOV. Source viewmodels are displayed with their own FOV that you can tweak with viewmodel_fov #. The default value is 54 and 68 is what I typically use when playing Counter-Strike (FOV 90). If you're still having issues with a higher FOV, you could also try disabling the viewmodel entirely with r_drawviewmodel 0 and see if that has an effect.

Vanilla HL2 thankfully doesn't have any head bobbing, so that's a non-issue. I could see camera shake messing with you though. You can get a quick demonstration of this effect by entering shake. If you're having a rough time during the occasional scripted moment, you could enter ent_fire env_shake kill to remove the relevant entity type from the map you're playing. I can only think of a few places it's used in the original HL2 like when you're under a bridge while a train passes overhead, the first time you encounter an energy mortar, etc. There are also some unscripted cases where you'll get shake but the effect should be subtle or short, like the rumble an approaching Strider will give.

These commands shouldn't require cheats to be enabled but in case you'd like to try something else that does, you can do so with sv_cheats 1.

Whoa this is so detailed...wow...thank you so much.

However, I played for 5 minutes with the default FOV, and then 5 minutes with the FOV you recommended, and I can't see much difference. So maybe the FOV is not the cause??

The slowing of the movement speed, on the other hand, has made it so much better! Thank you!

Upvote 0
Most people that experience nausea from first-person games are affected by the FoV. It's not necessarily the case, but I do believe it's most likely the issue in your case. I'm not sure what Dead Island's FoV is, but considering that it's a console port, it's most likely defaulted to something really low like 65 which is what you'll see in most console titles.
EDIT: I just looked it up and apparently it is set to 62.5 which is horribly unacceptable for a game on PC. I always like to set my FoV at at least 90 when possible. Luckily, though, I'm not one to experience nausea from low FoVs, but I always feel claustrophobic not being able to see enough.

I highly recommend anybody watch TB's video on the subject:
On FoV, The Darkness 2 and proving a point - YouTube

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Wow, I did not know FOV was so complicated! FOV is different for 4:3 and 16:9 screens? And there are "horizontal FOV" and "vertical FOV"? What??

I am so confused. How can you know whether a game is using 4:3 FOV or 16:9 FOV? Or whether it is using horizontal FOV or vertical FOV??

And even if you found out what FOV a game is using, how would you convert 4:3 FOV to 16:9 FOV? And then how would you convert a horizontal FOV to vertical FOV??

Sorry I am so confused and Google turns up nothing...

You are aware the different FOVs are just different units of measure right? They are all talking about the same thing. Here is a caclulator:
http://www.rjdown.co.uk/projects/bfbc2/fovcalculator.php

Upvote 0
It's funny that it's happening to me recently...

I used to play KF for hours since the release. But once I bought the new PC and 32 inches monitor, I started having nausea after playing the game for 15mins. No matter how I change FoV and resolutions it didn't help me.

I assume it's something to do with my monitor and I'm planning to change it. Although I didn't have that problem with other fps games after I adjusted the FoV.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hey guys I found a solution.

I've just decided to play nothing but KF, and dedicate my life to KF and my computer to KF servers.

Tripwire, all I ask of you for KF2 is to please keep the FOV, movement speed, head movement, and whatever else is affecting my ability to play nothing but KF the same for KF2 as it was in KF1.

If I get nausea from KF2 and can't play it, I'm gonna be so sad...

Upvote 0