• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map KF-Taganka

Just a few suggestions.

1. The TriggerLights are really making FPS drop significantly. You have over 50 in your map and in some areas they are crippling. This is one big thing that's influencing your FPS in your screenshot.

2. Your bots are using ZombiePathNodes for navigation. Default maps use regular PathNodes with a few ZombiePathNodes used sparingly in significant areas. I don't know the effect of all those ZombiePathNodes but just something to consider.

3. Test your blocked off areas very thoroughly. I can jump over the burning rubbish bin and go to the left side of a zombie zone volume.

4. Some zones don't have a zoninfo and the change from fog to zero fog is noticable and out of context.

Other than that, it's looking really cool and brings a whole new culture and all the characteristics that go with it to KF. Keep it coming as it's ultimately looking like it's going to be a good one.

Lose the London taxis and give us a few Ladas :D

Upvote 0
Hey.

Hey.

I had lots of issues with fps on my map. I went from not being able to playing multiplayer to it working poorly. I have worked hard on it and the FPS got up really high.

1. Lots of good Zone Portals help.

2. Anything not touched by players or zeds turn off the collision. So like pretty things around your map.

3. Also anything not important turn off collision. Pictures on the wall is one good example.

4. Put block volumes around certain items that are not going to affect game play and turn off collision.

Good example is my pool table. The balls and rails and felt do not need collision on. So i put a block volume around them and left the table on itself. I have static meshes for blinds above window sills. They do not do anything. So I turned off the collision. The trader area. Put a block volume around her and her wall and turn off collision.

You get the idea.

One more thing. Grass which I doubt you have. Does not need collision. Just there for looks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
2 dextronaut
Zone fog, yes I have in each of zones but, for example
I have to reduce fog in street area about 1200 to get fsp rise (so 1200 it`s very short view distance)
And I haven`t antiportals.
I should use em at the begin of map creation
Now it`s hard to use them (to set it in right way)
Any way, I`ll be trying somehow add antiportal and hope it`ll help. Thank you (mb some tips to set up fog)

2 arramus
Ok I`ll try to del all TrigerLight and compare fps
And same with ZombiePathNodes (but without it zed`s pathing is so bad)
Yes, I have problem with blocking volumes but right now
the performance is my 1st thing to do. I`ll add and check blockvol later (hope)
Changing fog to zero will be corrected.
About Lada :)))) really there is shortage of uniq meshes
And mb you can find one taxi at Moscow`s streets but I don`t know how to explain London`s bus.
I`ll try to find some for next version

2 THEDDLE
I`m going to test it. Can you show me settings of some mesh with
turned colison off(or some link with exmpl)?

Thank you all.

Upvote 0
Hey

Hey

Here is an example of a chopper I have on fire outside of my map prem. Decoration only. No zeds or players can get to it. Like i said though Anything that does not affect line of fire or players can touch then put a zone block on it and turn off collision. Unless it is like a picture on the wall. You do not need to put a zone block on it. I also had a fence all the way around my base. I zone blocked it off and turned off collision. All the lights on the ceiling. Like the tube lights and so on. You will never touch them up there. Turn off collision. Any more ideas just ask.

choppercollision.jpg

Upvote 0
2 arramus
About Lada :)))) really there is shortage of uniq meshes
And mb you can find one taxi at Moscow`s streets but I don`t know how to explain London`s bus. I`ll try to find some for next version
Thank you all.

Maybe manipulating some of the default textures for existing static meshes can give you the Moscow theme within a minimal time frame.

taganka_phone.jpg

taganka_taxi.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hey.

Hey.

Yea Arramus is another good source as mapper help. Take it where you can get it. There are a select few that will even speak to you unless your a big mapper. :( So as I learn I try to help where I can. Even the mappers who ignore me i try to help now and then. Sooner or later they get on the good side. Keep up the good work. I hope the collision thing helped you.

Upvote 0
Ok, let`s try this one :)
I don`t think I really have something to proud (becuase if I did it right from the start I wouldn`t have all thees problems) but I hope you can find some improvement...
Unfortunately there is no new stuff at all. I have some ideas about 2nd area of roof place (there should be 3d trader).

[URL]http://sneer.ru/maps/KF-Taganka_v_0_7_7_9.rom.uz2[/URL]
[URL]http://sneer.ru/maps/KF-Taganka_v_0_7_7_9.rom[/URL]

It`s about 4 and 16 MB

upd:
[URL]http://sneer.ru/maps/KF-Taganka_v_0_7_7_9.rar[/URL]
(~12MB rom + rom.uz2 + textures)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hey

Hey

Ok, let`s try this one :)
I don`t think I really have something to proud (becuase if I did it right from the start I wouldn`t have all thees problems) but I hope you can find some improvement...
Unfortunately there is no new stuff at all. I have some ideas about 2nd area of roof place (there should be 3d trader).

http://sneer.ru/maps/KF-Taganka_v_0_7_7_9.rom.uz2[url]http://sneer.ru/maps/KF-Taganka_v_0_7_7_9.rom.uz2[/URL]
http://sneer.ru/maps/KF-Taganka_v_0_7_7_9.rom[url]http://sneer.ru/maps/KF-Taganka_v_0_7_7_9.rom[/URL]

It`s about 4 and 16 MB

Cool. I hope we helped you out some. You should just add both to one file then zip it. That way people can just get it on one download. Just a suggestion.

Upvote 0
Cool. I hope we helped you out some. You should just add both to one file then zip it. That way people can just get it on one download. Just a suggestion.

100%, all your advices, they are really helpful. Now it looks like I have version without visible BSP error (I want to believe :)) and I can concentrate at decoration, zed`s path and other important things...

Upvote 0
This build certainly plays a lot smoother now. Removing all the heavy rendering actors really made a lot of difference. There are still other optimising tweaks you can make but it's coming along very nicely.

I didn't go looking for bsp errors especially and none were apparent in places they commonly appear on such complex architecture areas. Good stuff.

Why don't you put all of your textures into myLevel in the map itself? It will save you having to release a texture pack.

I need to play this in a full server to appreciate it fully.

Upvote 0
I must interfere here about texture "packs". I think to separate elements is better than put it in one huge file. Why? Because when a client have those already and is joining server with a newer version/beta he downloads only the map file, while the rest is in his folders or cache. That is commonly done in RedOrchestra, why should be different in here, in RO f.e. newer maps use "AHZ Vehicle Pack" (about 50 MB ziped pack), what would it look like when even not full pack is used but only some of it and it would be added in mylevel? Map files uncompressed ~90MB? For what?
That is why I'm against that solution...btw your mirror here (see how easy do a "pack" for web dl):

- 7z

- zip

- ASI (Automatic Self Installer)

Upvote 0
Hey.

Hey.

About textures. I just didn`t know about myLevel package when started it. And now I don`t know easy way to replace all from my metro pack to myLevel. If you know how, plz tell me, I`ll do it.

I had a huge texture file. First make sure all of them have been converted to DXT 1 from RGBA. This cut like over 100,000mb from my file. LOL. Then you have to just start importing them into your my level. You save the texture as mylevel instead of the file name you are using then the name of the texture. If you want to add a name to the group selection you can. Do not have to. I saved them as whatever map I was on. So example.

Open your texture browser. Go to import. Import your texture. Up pops where you want to save it. Package = mylevel. Group = nothing or name you want as group. Name = The name of your texture. Then ok. Now you have a mylevel file.

Now when you open your mylevel file under texture browser you just added it is there. Convert the texture from RGBA to DXT 1.

Now you have to apply the texture. The hard work. Its a pain but worth it in the long run.

The texture you added now needs to be applied to your map. Go to your sdk. Click on the item using your texture. Then right click. Go down to select. Click on all matching textures. Then click on the texture under your my level. This will change all the textures in your map that you have that texture on. If you have used any skins for static meshes you will have to apply them in display manually.

Once you think you have gotten all the textures remove your old texture files. Any you missed will come up with missing texture error. Then you just surf through your map and fix those areas.

Like I said it is a lot of work but well worth it in the end for you and the players.

Upvote 0
I must interfere here about texture "packs". I think to separate elements is better than put it in one huge file. Why? Because when a client have those already and is joining server with a newer version/beta he downloads only the map file, while the rest is in his folders or cache. That is commonly done in RedOrchestra, why should be different in here, in RO f.e. newer maps use "AHZ Vehicle Pack" (about 50 MB ziped pack), what would it look like when even not full pack is used but only some of it and it would be added in mylevel? Map files uncompressed ~90MB? For what?
That is why I'm against that solution...btw your mirror here (see how easy do a "pack" for web dl):
http://pliki.red.orchestra.pl/maps/killingfloor/download/KF-Taganka_v_0_7_7_9.exe

Not sure what you are trying to say. Are you for mylevel or against? If you are against then you are wronggggg. For one thing. If you add or do not use a same texture in the original file then you get an error. So you have to download the separate file anyways. So thats 2 files you have to mess with and place instead of one.

If you are for it. Then nevermind. I have changed lighting on textures and so on several times. If someone tried to download a map I had a seperate texture file and did not download the updated file they would get the game error. Most mappers do change there textures. If it is not a custom texture and one of tripwires then you do not need it in your file. However becarefull what textures you are using and from where. It may be someone elses custom texture. If they do not have the map you got it from then they will get the errrorrrrrrrr.

Upvote 0