• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

KF engine?!

I'm a graphics nut and the screenshots for this is what got me so excited. I dont give a **** if it has all the new technical effects. I'm more interested if everything comes together in a single style and looks like it all belongs in one world. Plus it's gonna run awesome. Not to be a hater but the op is clearly a nub.

Upvote 0
ok let me define more whats bothering me. Im not really a graphics freak either,
games nowadays just focus on looks and then totally fail at the gameplay.

Whats really bothering me is the lack of bump/normal-maps and shadows.
If you look at the trailer at 0:20 when the camera zooms away from the horizons
biotech logo you can really see that the wall is just a flat surface...
Also if you look at the flythrough through london you can see the lack of
dark, sharp shadows which makes the whole scenery kinda ugly, even though
the sunlight looks beautiful. (same here with the bumpmaps on buildings)

Doesnt the UE 2.5 support bumpmaps?

Upvote 0
You say that L4D looks dated, but honestly (imo) L4D generally looks as good as games need to look, nicer graphics are...nice...but ultimately as long as the graphics for a game suit the mood and the artwork is good enough it is completely irrelevant how cutting edge they are. I can think of more "next gen" titles with great graphics - that suck - than I can think of with poor graphics.

Killing floor looks great for UE2.5, and the artwork looks top notch.

Upvote 0
How a game looks is important to me. But it's more about the art direction then the engine being developed on. For instance source is not the best engine but valve do a nice job with textures, ambiance and lighting so that they still produce the nicest looking games.

TW did a good job with some RO maps. Danzig and lyeskrovy stand out for me, but I think they dropped the ball with bonderevo and arad (before it got fixed up).

TW's weakest point however is 3rd person player animations, compared to any recent game at least. It still bugs me to see the missing animation for the HT gunner, or when things get glitched and someone will be carrying thier gun like a grenade and still firing.

Upvote 0
ok let me define more whats bothering me. Im not really a graphics freak either,
games nowadays just focus on looks and then totally fail at the gameplay.

Whats really bothering me is the lack of bump/normal-maps and shadows.
If you look at the trailer at 0:20 when the camera zooms away from the horizons
biotech logo you can really see that the wall is just a flat surface...
Also if you look at the flythrough through london you can see the lack of
dark, sharp shadows which makes the whole scenery kinda ugly, even though
the sunlight looks beautiful. (same here with the bumpmaps on buildings)

Doesnt the UE 2.5 support bumpmaps?

You dont typically get really sharp or dark shadows in broad daylight. there's always going to be a high level of reflected light.

Upvote 0
Regardless of bump mapping.. I've played the mod and even coded for it extensively..since Directly after the release of the 2.5 version of the mod last year. also ran a couple KF servers for awhile etc. regardless of anything I personally have to say I'm impressed and have already pre-ordered on steam:) and a few of my clan mates are in the running as well. I only hope the Admin side is friendly like the mod version was. Thanks Alex, Zyn, and Marco for your vision, work, and getting Tripwire into this. I do have to say there are alot of similarities between Killing Floor and Left4Dead...but to be honest how people cannot see that they're two completely different games...is beyond me. I'll be around as always!

...Seal...

Upvote 0
I would of liked bump mapping and some nicer lighting but.. oh well. ;3

Some UE2X games look really nice.

Splinter cell was unreal engined and had a nice atmosphere.

And it used a heavily modified engine. (read: expensive) Kililng Floor's engine is very similar to what's seen in UT2004, with just a few additions.

In case you need help, i'll illustrate.

2k4.

ut-2004b.jpg

KF:

killing-floor-20090320110724526_640w.jpg

If there's any difference in quality between the two, it's because the tripwire art team sweats blood

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Was it? Weird for something to be xbox only. I thought it was just xbox optimized.

Why don't you just yank some things out from UE3 that you have the source of? ;) I mean "use what you learned from UE3 to improve the engine" like Bioshock did.

I know this is a "discussion" we had before, but even if it was only in the engine then at least modders could make a sweet graphics mod.

Last edited:
Upvote 0