• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

KF engine?!

L4D, specifically, they went overboard IMO with the 'game-as-a-movie' thing, and overall game play suffered for it.

No, not really; that's actually one of the things that made the game work well.

I've bought Killing Floor, and I expect it will be quite a fun diversion as a lightweight arcade-style FPS, but it has been getting a little over-hyped on the forums (here and over on Steam); I think some people might be expecting something more than what the game is actually intended to be.

Accordingly, I foretell that at least one person who has been excitedly extolling the virtues of the game on the forums over the past week(s) will turn up in about six hours asking "Umm... is that it?"

Upvote 0
I just want to pipe in here and say that its an updated version of UE 2.5. Stock UE 2.5 only used Direct X 8.1 (As seen in UT2k4 and all its mods). We updated the engine to DX9 for RO: Ostfront, and did a few more tweaks/tricks to get things looking even better for the retail KF. I won't BS you and say graphically the engine is on par with Crysis, or even Source for that matter. But it looks darn nice and does the job well of getting across the scary feel of the game. That, and you can pull 60 fps on a 3 year old computer ;)

Retail vs the mod, there is no comparison. The retail version is light years ahead of the mod visually, particularly in the characters. I'm sure some nice forum member can grab some of the screenshots of the characters from the mod and post them here next to the screenshots of the new characters. That and a lot has been added/improved to the gameplay over and above the mod.

I would personally like to thank you and the TWI team since a 3 year old computer is exactly what i have! Unfortunately I don't have the funds to buy new parts or a whole new computer, which is disappointing since my favorite game is left 4 dead i am unable to run it. Although i have the 360 version, it just isn't the same

Upvote 0