• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

KF engine?!

...This is not to undermine Alex, because he did a phenomenal job on the mod version with what resources he had available to him. Towards the end of the mod version, he was working alone on the entire product BY HIMSELF (until that Marco guy showed up to help with programming).

However, an individual's efforts really can't compare to the amount of productivity/polish you will see from a game development...

Did you ever see the hi-res specimens he was working on before this whole KF the game thing happened? I don't know where they are now, but you could ask around. They looked epic win.

Upvote 0
Oh yeah! I had forgotten all about his revamp.

I had initially said that because I didn't want to make it sound like I was bashing Alex or calling him incapable. I know he's an accomplished artist, and that he is quite amazing at what he does. Those hi-res models he was making were phenomenal.

I'm simply saying that the retail version has made leaps and bounds in a couple months (not just in the quality of the player models, but environment/atmosphere, etc.) whereas, since Alex had to do everything by himself, development of the mod version crept along.

Now, with an entire team to handle every aspect of development, KF has blossomed into the amazing game it deserves to be, and the screenshots serve as proof of this.

Upvote 0
test-1.jpg

'Nuff said.

This is not to undermine Alex, because he did a phenomenal job on the mod version with what resources he had available to him. Towards the end of the mod version, he was working alone on the entire product BY HIMSELF (until that Marco guy showed up to help with programming).

However, an individual's efforts really can't compare to the amount of productivity/polish you will see from a game development team. Tripwire knows what they are doing, and it shows in the graphical overhaul KF has received. Needless to say, I'm really excited. :p
You should do comparison screens of all characters. :cool:

Upvote 0
The full game looks just absolutely incredible. I'm hoping that My host I've been using for 3 years will pick up the game, and offer rented server for it as they did Red Orchestra..I haven't seen an entry for KF Retail yet at Gameservers.com...but as soon as it's up, again just like with 2.5, I will put up a server asap. this time, it will be stock. as from what I can see...THIS version of the game won't need mods:) and to be fair, the mod version didn't either...

bottom line.. Alex. Marco, Zyn...THANKS for all your hard work to bring this game into our world as admins and gamers...

Tripwire.. Thanks for just taking an exceptional mod, and polishing it up to make it even better. No criticism from this Admin..I'm really excited to see it's success!!!

...Seal...

Upvote 0
i am wondering one thing though. Does KF natively support widescreen resolutions up to 1680*1050?
Eventhough general quality can sometimes be a bit "mediocre" in some games, having high resolutions can really amp up the graphical aspect in terms of quality (obviously :)).

Anyway, i am a serious graphicswhore, but the reason i didn't really doubt before pre ordering KF is simply atmosphere. Atmosphere is probably The best counter for less technically advanced graphics. Sure, L4D for example is technically more advanced, but lacks overall atmosphere in the sense that it's pretty bland so to say. KF appaers to have a lot of environmental detail that simply makes the overal graphical appaerance more appaeling.

Anyway, concerning the upgrades to the engine. If you are talking additions from f.e. Ue3.0 i reckon that can be done later on in the form of a content patch, presuming it ever comes to Tripwire obtaining an Ue 3.0 license ( moar pre-orders for faster result!).

At the moment, i only hope for the widescreen resolutions, the SDK and a bug free game in the manner possible at the launch

Upvote 0
Most kids only worry about graphics these days though. Read some of the comments posted on websites showing off the new trailer people are whining about the graphics and forgetting how awesome the gameplay looks.

Sorry to say, but graphics play a huge part in deciding whether I will buy the game. The gameplay could be stellar, but if the graphics don't go with it then it looks like crap. Not saying KF looks bad, because it looks nasty and the graphics look sweet.

Upvote 0
Crunch, you're the type of gamer I hate. I'm sorry, but I do. IF you can't play a game with bad graphics, even if the gameplay is stellar...

I play so many old games, like AVP2, Starcraft, HL & It's mods, ectera. Gameplay is great, and graphics are easily acceptable. I'm 19, I was born in the age when graphics started becoming amazing, and I'm not a graphics whore. :p

It's why 50,000 people still play CS 1.6, why thousands still play Starcraft(and Korea has TV channels dedicated to it), and why Half-Life mods, while having graphics far out-classed by even some 2001 games, share a large playerbase still...

Gameplay > Graphics

Upvote 0
Yes, they are important for atmosphere. Atmosphere is not directly related to graphics in most cases, but alot of games can fall back on calling awesome graphics "Atmosphere".

Graphics will improve with time and sales? What do you expect? Them to visually updated the whole game if it sells well? That's what KF is, a visually updated version of the mod. I doubt it'll get much better than retail release.

Upvote 0
Crunch, you're the type of gamer I hate. I'm sorry, but I do. IF you can't play a game with bad graphics, even if the gameplay is stellar...

I play so many old games, like AVP2, Starcraft, HL & It's mods, ectera. Gameplay is great, and graphics are easily acceptable. I'm 19, I was born in the age when graphics started becoming amazing, and I'm not a graphics whore. :p

It's why 50,000 people still play CS 1.6, why thousands still play Starcraft(and Korea has TV channels dedicated to it), and why Half-Life mods, while having graphics far out-classed by even some 2001 games, share a large playerbase still...

Gameplay > Graphics

it Is 2009 and no matter how you want things to be, graphics are becoming equally important as gameplay. I used to play NWN 1 because it's a great gamec gameplay wise, but graphicwise technically lacking. Now i can't even get myself to play it anymore just because i'm used to having a better standard graphics.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting good graphics alongside good gameplay. it's called "going along with time". Why do Nvidia and ATI keep releasing newer hardware, so we can remain in the 20 polygons/character age?

Upvote 0