• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

KF engine?!

Hey hey,

Ive played the ut2k4 mod before l4d was released and saw that it was much fun
especially with a few buddies over lan.

Now I wonder what engine the GAME is based on? I guess its Source, but it
still looks alot like Ut2k4 if you ask me. Many of the shots on the official page dont look like a game from 2009, and i would actually consider making multiple models per zombie-type to keep it varied.

Im scared that it will look too much like the ut mod

thank you for the answer, that would be the reason why it looks so outdated :(
what did you change exactly from mod to the sold game? I mean the mod was available
for free and as it currently looks its exactly what we will get for our money. Dont get me
wrong im not saying that you dont have the right to, you invented it and its your decision.

@innociv: I did because "on steam" has been pointed out so much ;)

Upvote 0
what did you change exactly from mod to the sold game? I mean the mod was available
for free and as it currently looks its exactly what we will get for our money. Dont get me
wrong im not saying that you dont have the right to, you invented it and its your decision.

They've polished up the graphics *a lot* from the original, made many changes and improvements.

Even though it's based on the mod/concept, I think it's safe to assume there's enough changes to warrant it going commercial and it will be an entirely different experience :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Check the previous mod versions of KF, then look at the new released screens/trailer for the retail version...I think you may see a wee bit of difference lol

Upvote 0
Outdated? What in the world it looks fantastic. This is coming from somone who can play Crysis at max detail 1920 x 1200 with 45-60 fps.

Most kids only worry about graphics these days though. Read some of the comments posted on websites showing off the new trailer people are whining about the graphics and forgetting how awesome the gameplay looks.

Upvote 0
The engine is made of people! It's peeeeeeeooooopppppllllleeeeeee!!!!

Graphics are subpar, sure, but given it's origins and price, that's no biggie. I just hope the game play turns out to be as compelling as it reads. I'm sure KF fans will already tell me it is...but I've felt a little burnt lately by simple games modes in L4D. Hoping KF has more durability and interest there.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I just want to pipe in here and say that its an updated version of UE 2.5. Stock UE 2.5 only used Direct X 8.1 (As seen in UT2k4 and all its mods). We updated the engine to DX9 for RO: Ostfront, and did a few more tweaks/tricks to get things looking even better for the retail KF. I won't BS you and say graphically the engine is on par with Crysis, or even Source for that matter. But it looks darn nice and does the job well of getting across the scary feel of the game. That, and you can pull 60 fps on a 3 year old computer ;)

Retail vs the mod, there is no comparison. The retail version is light years ahead of the mod visually, particularly in the characters. I'm sure some nice forum member can grab some of the screenshots of the characters from the mod and post them here next to the screenshots of the new characters. That and a lot has been added/improved to the gameplay over and above the mod.

Upvote 0
Speaking of screenshots...watching the trailer this shot reminds me of the map "hedgehog" from RO...when you spawn as german in the barns:

hh.jpg

IMG%5D

Upvote 0
No, not because of graphics. I still play the original Doom and Duke Nukem 3D, I didn't mean a step behind graphically but engine and excitement-wise. Also the fact that its looking like there won't be an option for crosshairs which I like in a PVP environment but not in a co-op one.

@ Perfectblue. I can't say I enjoyed Bioshock at all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0