• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map KF-Duke3dE1M01v001

ro_sauce

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 26, 2007
bwhgaming.com
Map Name: Duke3dE1M01
Beta Number: v005b
Playable:
Yes
Pictures: see below, my computer sucks, so the screenshots suck
Description of map:
This is my first unreal map, I havent made a map since Half-Life (qoole), basically I just "remade" the first duke nukem map (frapped a run through and watched it over, and over, and over again). It took me about a week to learn what i put in so far, so its not done yet. I would appreciate suggestions on what else I can do, put in, optimization (if it runs on my ibm t43, it should run on anything) tips and tricks, etc.
I'm going to try to do as many as the duke nukem maps as i can, as i improve.
What testing is wanted: suggestions for improvement/optimization
Map Download:
http://www.filefront.com/14955569/KF-Duke3dE1M01v005b.rar
Download Size: 3.297mb (removed kf-asylum.usx)
extracted size: 8.556mb

Shot00045.jpg

Shot00046.jpg

Shot00047.jpg

Shot00048.jpg

Shot00049.jpg

v004: made projector in projector room toggled, plays movie when drapes fully open, stops playing when switch is toggled again.
put zombiespawn above the billboard, so they wont camp there anymore.

v005b: removed clientmaterialtrigger until code is whitelisted, add firehydrant to break, added sounds, added a few more area, nothing major.
HOPEFULLY THE KF-ASYLUM.USX NEED IS REMOVED.
please tell me if the file is still needed for this version.

Last edited:
Hey

Hey

Looks interesting. In the bathroom you might want to scale down the floor to a smaller tile.

Just in case you do not know you can select the texture and hit F5. Here you can align and scale it. If you have a bunch of the same texture you want to align select planar and align. Then scale.

Another thing that took me a while to get was to select all matching textures or static meshes. I could have kissed the guy who taught me that one. LOL. I was working on grass on patch at a time. OMG.

Good luck. I will give this a go when I get a chance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
youre right about the bathroom floor. i just kept forgetting it.
thanks for the f5 tip.
also, there is a secret area, i'm sure it'll be easy to find.

i decided to finally put the map on here because for some reason i could no longer put it on ***** server.
i used to just upload each new version via ftp, and it would overwrite the old file, so i wouldnt have to restart the server to get it in the maplist in webadmin.
just recently i cant do anything, delete, overwrite, rename, nothing.
it keeps saying this:
550 KF-Duke3dE1M01.rom: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.
: /792843/kf/maps/KF-Duke3dE1M01.rom

which had never happened before, so now i have to shutdown the server, upload via ftp, restart... and then it doesnt show up in webadmin.
its quite infuriating, so i decided to post it here.

edit:
ok two more download links
ok, removed a staticmesh that was from a different package (tried to keep the ones ppl wouldnt have out)
removed the texture that referenced a duke nukem texture packge i made, thought i had them all in mylevel, oops.
thanks for the info theddle, that was what was ruining it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Code:
Warning: Failed to load 'Duke3d': Can't find file for package 'Duke3d'
Warning: Failed to load 'KF-Duke3dE1M01v001': Can't find file for package 'Duke3d'
Warning: Failed to load 'LevelSummary KF-Duke3dE1M01v001.LevelSummary': Can't find file for package 'Duke3d'
Warning: Error loading KF-Duke3dE1M01v001 !

I had something similar. Did you use someone elses static mesh that did not belong to tripwire? If so you will get this error. I had a few in my new one. I added them to my level and reskinned them; however it was a no go.

I think I could have made it work if I would have added the texture files from the original static meshes. The problem with that is a lot of people have a hard time downloading more then one file into there steam folders. It is nice on my servers since I have redirect. So I can add them all and people will get them.

On not being able to upload, delete, or do anything with the sever via FTP. I also had the same problem when I had the static mesh issue. You have to completely stop the server. Then delete the bad file.

My rule of thumb. Never copy over another map in the servers. Always change the name. V1 V2 and ect. This gives you back up copies if problems arise and does not cause conflicts with the servers and other people computers.

I have seen people crash because of this. If you want to use the exact same name you have to stop the server. Delete the file. Then add it. This prevents any thing left of the old file being in there. Then restart the server.

Good luck I hope this helps.+

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Code:
Warning: Failed to load 'Duke3d': Can't find file for package 'Duke3d'
Warning: Failed to load 'KF-Duke3dE1M01v001': Can't find file for package 'Duke3d'
Warning: Failed to load 'LevelSummary KF-Duke3dE1M01v001.LevelSummary': Can't find file for package 'Duke3d'
You need to add all custom meshes, or meshes you grabbed from someone else's lvl into the MyLevel package so its embedded into your lvl.

Upvote 0
Code:
Warning: Failed to load 'KF_Asylum': Can't find file for package 'KF_Asylum'
Warning: Failed to load 'KF-Duke3dE1M01v001': Can't find file for package 'KF_Asylum'
Warning: Failed to load 'LevelSummary KF-Duke3dE1M01v001.LevelSummary': Can't find file for package 'KF_Asylum'
Need KF_Asylum.usx ?
KF_Asylum.usx is KF-Asylum include file.

Upvote 0
I haven't played it, but from that video it looks like you need to add a little danger to that ledge. Maybe add a spawn above and behind, or make the climbing spot a destroyable mesh so that a poorly placed grenade will blow up the access to that ledge.

Or get really creative and have buzzsaws rain from the sky at random, chewing the people on the ledge into little chunklets.

Upvote 0
Tried downloading your map v004 and it's still not downloading from that site, you really should add other links

ok sorry about that, i put it on filefront, that should work, right?

Code:
Warning: Failed to load 'KF_Asylum': Can't find file for package 'KF_Asylum'
Warning: Failed to load 'KF-Duke3dE1M01v001': Can't find file for package 'KF_Asylum'
Warning: Failed to load 'LevelSummary KF-Duke3dE1M01v001.LevelSummary': Can't find file for package 'KF_Asylum'
Need KF_Asylum.usx ?
KF_Asylum.usx is KF-Asylum include file.

thats odd, i thought kf-asylum was included in the big update, its what kf-bedlam uses.
ok included it in the packaged file.

I haven't played it, but from that video it looks like you need to add a little danger to that ledge. Maybe add a spawn above and behind, or make the climbing spot a destroyable mesh so that a poorly placed grenade will blow up the access to that ledge.

Or get really creative and have buzzsaws rain from the sky at random, chewing the people on the ledge into little chunklets.

i put a bunch of spawns behind the ledge, so zombies spawn there if ppl camp

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The main issues I have with this map are the weapon spawns on it rather than random pickups.

Having the LAW and a katana on the map is just asking for trouble, given they both sell for a lot of money.

The lack of random pickups is somewhat highlighted by these two placements.

I like it, but I feel it could use some work still. Nice job so far.

Upvote 0
The main issues I have with this map are the weapon spawns on it rather than random pickups.

Having the LAW and a katana on the map is just asking for trouble, given they both sell for a lot of money.

The lack of random pickups is somewhat highlighted by these two placements.

I like it, but I feel it could use some work still. Nice job so far.

well, i'll hide the katana spawn some more, make a maze or something.
as for the law spawn, the block is there just temporarily until i make it more complicated to get there. there's one more secret you'll probably have a big issue with, but you havent found it yet so maybe its ok, for now.

Upvote 0
well, i'll hide the katana spawn some more, make a maze or something.
as for the law spawn, the block is there just temporarily until i make it more complicated to get there. there's one more secret you'll probably have a big issue with, but you havent found it yet so maybe its ok, for now.

Actually I just did.

Scar + M32 + something else that my mind is blanking on plus some cash and ammo powerups.

But there was no jetpack there =C.

I do like the throwbacks to the secrets.

Although it'd axe any chance of a whitelist, would it be possible to get some atomic health powerups in the map? I liked the first aid kit in the bathroom, and feel it might not be too far of a stretch from there.

Upvote 0