• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map KF-BadDream

Woodchuck

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 29, 2010
Germany
Hi community,

after KF-Desperation this is my second KF map i post here.
I know the name of the map is a bit boring but i'm really bad with such things :eek:. Maybe the map will be renamed later.

Unfortunately i'm unable to upload some screenshots or even the map files at the moment but i'll do it this eventing or tomorrow (timezone Europe/Berlin ;)).

Now something about the map:
The map takes place in a dark building. The area is pretty small for now.
There are three floors, one room and a trader. Another room isn't accessible in the beta v1 (the beta v2 will be much larger - i guess :rolleyes:).

I was very careful with the light so the whole map got a creepy atmosphere (i think the lightning is one of the most important things for a map). Maybe some lights are even to bright but thats why i post the level in the beta forum. I'm sure you will tell me, if something is strange.

Since the action takes place in a dream, some elements of the levels are illogical or better unrealistic. Thats an advantage i also attached considerable weight on KF-Desperation (that sentence sounds funny - hope it makes sense).

Ok thats it.
I'll try to upload all files and screenshots ASAP.

Reactions: YoYoBatty
--- Version Beta V1.1 ---

So here it is:

the very first beta is playable but there are still some bugs i'm working on.
Some of the zombies sometimes get stuck so you can't find them on the map. I suggest they're "hiding" on the scaffolds.
The map looks a little dismally caused by the lack of static meshes and there are some details that i really don't like (e.g. the stupid corridor under the grids - it won't be there in the next version).
Yeah there sure is a lot of work.

I tried to take the rain from KF-Office for the outside area but copy and past didn't work because i was unable to find the element (volume, info...) that's causing it.
Can anybody give me a hind?

File:
The download link is below.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
xweatheremitter can do rain.
the rain in office might be those hidden static sheets, not sure which rain you want from it.

I don't have i screenshot at the moment but i mean the heavy rain in the outside area (the yard with the player starts). I only found the the water splash emitters.
Hm seems like i have to do the rain by my own without copy & paste :eek:.
Xweatheremitter sound great for the moment. I'll give it a try later.
Thanks for the hind.

Upvote 0
--- Version Beta V1.2 ---

The new version is out.

Canges:

I added the rain of KF-Office in front of the windows to get a better atmosphere. Thanks to ro_sauce :).

The stupid hole in the ground (the one that blocked the way, not the corridor under the grids) is gone and was replaced with something cooler. The corridor i was talking about was also removed.

I added some sounds.

Known bugs:

One light in the blocked hallway should flicker but it just shines. I guess i forgot a boolean.

The pathing is still faulty.
http://www.gamefront.com/files/21907240/KF-BadDream.zip

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok i found some bugs on my own:

1. The message in one of the windows that says "The rain never stops..." is a lie. The rain stops (disappears) if you go far enough away from the windows.

2. On a wall in the broken hallway are some textures which are misaligned (look at screenshot 1)

3. When the Patriarch spawns on one of the scaffolds you can see the whole map from above.

4. The clocks in the bathrooms are barely illuminated. Not a real bug but i'll change it.

I'm currentyl working on the last features of beta V1. There won't be a second room in V1, instead i'll add a passage to keep the map more open. After adding some more static meshes and details along with the bug fixes the beta V1 complete.
Please excuse my englisch gibberish :eek:.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Beta V1

Beta V1

--- Version Beta V1.3 (final) ---

It's done :D
Here is the final beta V1.
If you find any bug report them and i'll fix them.
Otherwise i'll begin to work on V2 :)

Screenshots:

screen5g.png

screen4ll.png
screen3bz.png
screen2pw.png
screen1ta.png

File:
Map was moved to the final section.

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=82278

Last edited:
Upvote 0
--- Version Beta V2.1 ---

I'm currently working on the V2 beta.
The map will be around twice as big as V1.
The brush and textures work are already done so the static meshes and pathing will follow. I'll overwork the whole level lighting (including V1 and V2) cause that's the part that's disturbing me the most.
Some other V1 elements will be overwork as well (e.g. the connection between the two floors seen on screenshot 1 - it doesn't really fit in the scene).

New screenshots and the files will follow as soon as possible.

Of topic:
Maybe it's only in my head but is this forum slowly dying out :(?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Of topic:
Maybe it's only in my head but is this forum slowly dying out :(?

You'll see that the people here slowly come in then back out and do some other stuff for a while, come back, get some posts going here and there, then it repeats, something you'll get a spike in the trend. That's what I've observed over the time I've been here.

Upvote 0
CUT

This map is finished (no Beta V2, V3, V4...).
I ran into a dead end with the map geometry so i decided to let this map be.
I think it's playable so there is no need to make any changes and i already have great ideas for a new map.
Since this was only a low level map, i'll see it as a warm up :D.

Do you think i should post it as final?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
CUT

This map is finished (no Beta V2, V3, V4...).
I ran into a dead end with the map geometry so i decided to let this map be.
I think it's playable so there is no need to make any changes and i already have great ideas for a new map.
Since this was only a low level map, i'll see it as a warm up :D.

Do you think i should post it as final?

I doubt you could run out of geometry unless you built your map near the extreme edge of the actual universe that contains the props and brushes for the world. Also you can also polish your work, add some details that you would see in real life, try to be as precise as possible I guess.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
^

Could have possibly meant he ran into that infamous "Mappers block" where you run out of ideas or get bored. :p

Yeah that's exactly the matter.
If i'd add another floor on one of the corners it would look some kind of "wrong". I made one plan for the whole map and now i'm done with it. Like i said, i'll see this map as a warm up and start the next (better) one :D.

Upvote 0