• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Insurgency Mod ... EPIC THREAD OF DOOM

Insurgency Mod ... EPIC THREAD OF DOOM

• It's Great! Check it out...NOW!!!

Votes: 55 26.6%
  • It's just OK -- worth downloading but...

Votes: 95 45.9%
  • It sucks buckets...

Votes: 57 27.5%

• Total voters
I'm going to try out this mod, but the people on that forum have a thing or two to learn about bullet ballistics. :rolleyes:

If INS is going to use hitscan, I doubt I'll be interested for very long. "Bullet ballistics have no impact on gameplay", pffft. Fanboys.:rolleyes: It's like every time an INS dev farts, it is sniffed in with great delight. Still, it might be fun.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm going to try out this mod, but the people on that forum have a thing or two to learn about bullet ballistics. :rolleyes:

If INS is going to use hitscan, I doubt I'll be interested for very long. "Bullet ballistics have no impact on gameplay", pffft. Fanboys.:rolleyes: It's like every time an INS dev farts, it is sniffed in with great delight. Still, it might be fun.

This discussion in the ins-board is a good one and made my jaw drop! Especially the comment of one of the fanbois regarding that ballistics is "a minor detail" made me shudder!
I was really looking forward for INS despite the fact that i think it

Upvote 0
To be fair, maybe bullet drop isnt really required. Nor would realistic bullet modelling!

The Source engine cant even handle large open maps (so these guys have limited themselves from day one!) so it wont be that noticeable really. And if thats the ONLY flaw in the game then this would be the best fps on the planet!!! :eek:

Not really worth getting your knickers in a twist over!

Upvote 0
The Source engine cant even handle large open maps (so these guys have limited themselves from day one!) so it wont be that noticeable really. And if thats the ONLY flaw in the game then this would be the best fps on the planet!!! :eek:
Actually, this will be fixed with the new Source engine that comes with Episode Two, Team Fortress 2 and Portal.

At least, I read it somewhere on a Wikipedia article. :D

Upvote 0
I don't think they ever intended for INS to be hard core realistic anyways. While they are leaning towards realism, they've obviously tweaked some aspects to make the game fun. If you want a modern day infantry 'simulation', look no further than Arma. But I doubt you'll ever be satisfied.

If they ain't gonna go for "hardcore realism", why do they bash RO for being arcardey?

Upvote 0
If they ain't gonna go for "hardcore realism", why do they bash RO for being arcardey?
Yeah it is rather odd how body armor in INS is purely cosmetic and doesn't offer any protection from anything at all. Yet, no one has jumped on the INS devs throats, screaming "why?" In the "Who worked on RED ORCHESTRA mod?" in particular, you see people saying how they loved the RO mod but felt ROOST made too many compromises on realism and went for the "arcadey" route to please a larger audience, though of course they don't mention the cosmetic only body armor in INS as a serious shortcoming in realism. Not only is body armor a important gameplay feature, it is obviously incredibly vital for portraying this ongoing conflict with accuracy. Body armor adds and modifies so many factors in war (and therefore in games which portray it), that leaving it out will greatly diminish the quality of gameplay and tactics in INS. I guess this will be another addition on the long list of things in INS we will just have to wait and see how it plays before fully judging it.

Upvote 0
I don't even care anymore if they add bullet ballistics or not. It might be fun, I'll try it out.

The problem is, they are hyping the mod as a highly realistic modern combat game, but I doubt it. As I wrote in that thread, they are limiting themselves to making small maps only, because they're not adding ballistic calculations. The funny thing is that some of them think I'm some kind of gun-obsessive American. Look in the mirror, guys!:rolleyes:

It's just a fact, if you're going to make a realistic game, add real bullet behaviour. After all, hitscan is so Unreal Tournament '99....

Add hitscan, I don't care at all. But don't advertise this game as highly realistic...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't even care anymore if they add bullet ballistics or not. It might be fun, I'll try it out.

The problem is, they are hyping the mod as a highly realistic modern combat game, but I doubt it. As I wrote in that thread, they are limiting themselves to making small maps only, because they're not adding ballistic calculations. The funny thing is that some of them think I'm some kind of gun-obsessive American. Look in the mirror, guys!:rolleyes:

It's just a fact, if you're going to make a realistic game, add real bullet behaviour. After all, hitscan is so Unreal Tournament '99....

Add hitscan, I don't care at all. But don't advertise this game as highly realistic...
Yes, I agree.

However, they can't say they're having problems creating big maps, because the Source engine is about to be updated for big maps and even for high amounts of dense foilage.

Upvote 0
I don't think they ever intended for INS to be hard core realistic anyways. While they are leaning towards realism, they've obviously tweaked some aspects to make the game fun. If you want a modern day infantry 'simulation', look no further than Arma. But I doubt you'll ever be satisfied.

Bollocks to that, the mod has been presented as the second coming of realism mods, Infiltration style realism and beyond! and its fanbase will tell you at every turn that INS is the end-all be-all of realism (despite the fact that they have yet to play it, and any and all info or media about the mod is scrace at best.. ), that's the hype the INS team has helped create with bold statements like "the closest thing to beeing there without enlisting!", thats what people expect of the mod.

But it looks like INS will fall way short of that hype, it really looks like BF2 on an indoors engine more than anything, Quasi realism with small choke-point maps.. now some may see an appeal in that, but its not what was promised.

Upvote 0