• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Immersion Overhaul Mutator Information

lets face it, at those distances anyway its movement that usually gives the enemy away and draws attention to themselves. I say this because even on somewhat open maps i try to move intelligently and stay low or under cover as much as possible and i can usually get up close and in the objective and not take much fire. Most of the time when i get set and fire at other players even at a distance, well duh, they are usually jogging and upright in the open. They deserve to get shot at and killed. They are the ones not playing smart and its their fault, not the zoom which brings up vision more closely to a 1:1 size ratio.
Now, how come i can usually do that and they can't? We all have the same shift zoom, right? Again, player movement is usually the fault.

+1
Incentivating people on playing smartly and stealthy imho is a very good thing, because it's when you play this way that you have real fun and immersion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
+1
Incentivating people on playing smartly and stealthy imho is a very good thing, because it's when you play this way that you have real fun and immersion.

That is one way to see it and i agree with you, but i am more with Kleist since it is very annoying and whatnot when getting sniped away with nearly every weapon and from every player...it just needs no skill or experience getting kills from distance 100+ when you are able to zoom in (no matter how good your real life eyes are, that not working in real life...speaking from experience) and you cannot really interact with your surrounding environment (like hiding in higher grass)

Adding this zoom will take away an important part from IOM, my humble opinion.

Upvote 0
@ Mord: really bad and sad news for me

Back in a days when we were struggling to keep alive classic mode there was very little discussion about IS zoom. I only remember a few guys from here posting such ideas. The rest seemed to be happy with this setting.
Server has been running no IS zoom setting for a few weeks now so everyone had a chance to try it out. This thread cleary shows that there is a demand also to play with zoom (without going into further details here). You no IS zoom guys had opportunity to play in the way you wanted now give the same option to pro zoom group. Its the best way to get feedback and push this discussion into right direction.
Changes are not permanent.

Upvote 0
Also, it was clearly said by devs that its purpose was to match the real life proportions. And i everyone may think they did a "little" more deep and precise research than the one you did in your two minutes paint sketch.

Sorry, research? what do you mean?
I just calculated the approximate angle of your view taken by 1920x1080 screen, you can do the same thing, right now. You only need to know the distance between the screen and your eyes and screen width, nothing else.

And everything in ro2 can be explained with these words " hey did a "little" more deep and precise research than the one you " including unlocks, progression system, scoped AVT, mkb42 and G41 with 4x scope from 1944.

Upvote 0
thats another thing why you should like the 1,3x zoom. Its much lower and much better than original ro2 IS zoom that i also dislike.

I appreciate all your work here, but lets face it. Your preference for 1.3X zoom is an opinion only, same as mine for standard zoom or for those who prefer no zoom. For any of us to say what is better really is a mostly a matter of opinion.

(but I am right :p )

Upvote 0
thats another thing why you should like the 1,3x zoom. Its much lower and much better than original ro2 IS zoom that i also dislike.
If this is the best in-between of "no zoom" and "eagle vision" then I will gladly take it.

Because 2x zoom is outrageous, but it seems many people don't want no zoom at all either.

Personally I would make it

• No zoom: Pistols, SMGs, Shotgun, Flamethrower
  • 1.3x zoom: Rifles, Snipers' Rifles, MGs, ATRs
That way the weapons requiring greater accuracy would be able to use a little zoom to simulate focusing while not having binocular eyeballs, and weapons that are more "up close and personal" won't have zoom because they aren't used as ranged weapons anyway.

It's a fairly good compromise, IMHO.

Upvote 0
That is one way to see it and i agree with you, but i am more with Kleist since it is very annoying and whatnot when getting sniped away with nearly every weapon and from every player...it just needs no skill or experience getting kills from distance 100+ when you are able to zoom in

First try to take a look at a mine previous post and also at what kleist explained about RL combat (he was in the army several years)
Click on the little arrow on a little blue square to see my previous post

And in this one to see kelist that tells about how it is in combat situations

As i've understood, we share the same idea about it, but we' re for 2 different solutions:

-No zoom keeping the current easy weapon handling system. (yours solution)
-Zoom with harder and reviewed weapon handling system. (mine solution)

Imho my solution is preferable because:

It keeps the distances realistic both for what regards enemy spotting (with zoom things are seen like IRL) and engagement (hard weapon handling prevents the "every-man-marksman" issue). Also, having the possibility to see the enemy but not a good chance to hit him favors a lot firefights.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's unfortunate that there doesn't seem to be a way to have an independent zoom that could be used in IS or not. As that would be the best solution for everyone, use it whenever you want or not at all. Is this a game or engine limitation?

There is, I know because RGN has used that setting on their Custom map server when they have run IOM in the past.

There is no automatic iron sight zoom, there is only zoom when you press your zoom key.

Upvote 0
Soviet Infantry skins have been adjusted:
They have more variations (soon to come an SSh36 Helmet too) and more realistic colouring of their gear.

Spoiler!

Upvote 0