• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

I'll Show You Mine If You'll Show Me Yours (Part Deux)

I just love a nice German blonde

I just love a nice German blonde

Especially when they look as good as this:

100_0678.jpg

100_0685.jpg

11-23-2007135.jpg

1944 Brno ([SIZE=-1]Br

Upvote 0
given the condition it looks like it was captured shortly after issue and taken care of

luke seriously... let the rest of us have a crack at the non-RC K98s :p

Yep, there is only the tiniest of nicks in the wood, and the bluing is nearly all intact. This thing probably wasn't fired after leaving the arsenal.

Hey, you just gotta know where to look for the good K98s. :D www.gk43forum.com is the place to be and is the source for all three of my matching rifles. You'll find Gewehr43 over there as well.

Upvote 0
Coming soon....Romanian TT-33!:D

Also, here is Ted's (owner of 7.62x54r.net) reply to my email asking about the 1946 M91/30 I posted on the last page.

" It's very uncommon. They are reported every once in a while but I've never seen one myself. I think continuous production did end in 1945 and the '46 and '47 rifles were very small independent production runs. Congratulations on the find.

Regards,
Ted"

So it looks like they were produced as standard 91/30's, just in very limited numbers. It should be in my possession next week. Along with the Tokarev.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OK, so as some of you may remember a few pages back I posted some images of a catastrophic amount of damage done to the stock of my SMLE. Well I have been a busy little dog with some amateur wood working recently and now can show you what I've done.

Basically at first I had an acquaintance in the states who offered to do a professional repair for free, however this plan was sunk by Australia Post and their archaic rules about shipping gun parts. Even just what amounts to a lump of wood (oh noes it's GUN WOOD = evil!!!!). So I ended up doing the repair myself, I used a fiber glass like two part bonding compound. Really heavy duty stuff which is heat and water resistant and once bonded stronger than the wood around it. Enough talk though here's some pictures of the job.

rep1.JPG

Here is the repair side on, you can still see the crack but you can see how carefully I clamped and bonded it together. It's is 99% seamless only a small chip was missing from the very bottom about half the size of a grain of rice.

rep2.JPG

Bottom angle picture of it, the line of break is quite visible however this is raw around the crack, as I needed to remove a small area of finish around the area to do the job. After the refinish it is nearly invisible. You can also see the tiny chip above and to the right of the screw hole.

rep3.JPG

Inside picture, the shape here doesn't line up perfectly however on the outside it does. I attribute this to the extra bit of thickness the bonding agent may have added. It does not matter though as the forestock fits the rifle like a glove. It's also worth mentioning that I carefully drilled and added a cross dowell in about 2.5cm forward of the magazine cavity for extra strength.

rep4.JPG

A picture of the end (and my hairy knees) this was the tricky part as the piece of wood here housing the recoil plates was totally sheared off. I carefully hollowed out a cavity at each side of this piece where the reinforcing bolt goes through, so as to get the bonding compound to seep right in and add strength. It worked well the piece is in there rock solid.

I let it cure for three weeks, in the meantime remember the culprit in the stock breaking was a missing stock piece washer which meant the stock bolt was protruding and hammering into the forestock as I fired. I replaced the missing washer, now the stock bolt protrudes maybe half a milimeter, I then put the rifle together and went to the range. It held up beautifully, I put roughly 200 rounds of Pakistani surplus down range and then went home and checked it over, no cracks, no give, solid as a rock.

So now the job is completed, I gave the stock a light sanding all over to rough up and level the finish with the parts I had to strip for the job and then gave it a couple of coats of Penetrol wood oil followed by a single coat of melted beeswax to darken it and match the colour with rest of the stock set.

I am very happy now, SMLE LIVES!!! And thanks to my ham fisted wood skills she's still wearing her original stock :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yep, there is only the tiniest of nicks in the wood, and the bluing is nearly all intact. This thing probably wasn't fired after leaving the arsenal.

Hey, you just gotta know where to look for the good K98s. :D www.gk43forum.com is the place to be and is the source for all three of my matching rifles. You'll find Gewehr43 over there as well.

Gorgeous gun, Luke. That's a hell of a rifle. I ended up buying that guy's byf43 in a walnut stock. Should be here next week, I'd hope.

What is the serial suffix of your gun? I have a nice dot 1944 in the 3000 range of the "ao" suffix. It looks a lot like yours in terms of color and wood grain.

Upvote 0
word

but next time attatch ur bajo ;)

mine goes around 20 cm's to the left if i dont attach it (at 100 meters) ^^

If I hadn't already adjusted the sight I would.:) It's fun to go to the public range and attach the bayo. A couple people look at you funny. Then they get shocked when you fire it and that 2 foot wide, 3 foot long fireball comes out of the barrel. Along with the BOOOOMM! of course.:D

I silenced a packed range for about a minute doing that with an M38 once.

Upvote 0
dang then re adjust it ^^
M44 without bajo attached = t3h sux :p

btw i dont understand how all u americans allways cry about sticky bolts...
never had that problem... well i dont use the 1950 MG ammo...
It's not so much that as a matter of shooting laquered steel cases and not cleaning the chamber. I stick to the copper washed surplus and have no issues, though it is perilously hard to find here in Australia.

Don't shoot an M44 prone in a paddock with dry and unkempt grass, it's a recipe for a small grass fire if there ever was one :D

Upvote 0