• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

I'll Show You Mine If You'll Show Me Yours (Part Deux)

His all matching K98k is still worth more than your average $300 RC misspatch though. I would say at least $500-$600. Bet he could get his money back easy at any local gunshow if not more.

It's too bad that people have to sand the stock on such a piece though. They probably took off $20 off the value with every stroke of the sandpaper.

Luckily we now appreciate such pieces more than the guys that purchased them for $30 each in the 1950s.

This is why I take good care of all my rifles. Even the $70 Russian junk guns LOL.

Upvote 0
His all matching K98k is still worth more than your average $300 RC misspatch though. I would say at least $500-$600. Bet he could get his money back easy at any local gunshow if not more.

It's too bad that people have to sand the stock on such a piece though. They probably took off $20 off the value with every stroke of the sandpaper.

Luckily we now appreciate such pieces more than the guys that purchased them for $30 each in the 1950s.

This is why I take good care of all my rifles. Even the $70 Russian junk guns LOL.

Think about all the WWII vets who brought back rifles and chopped them up to make huntin' rifles.

I found a Japanese Type 38, with an intact mum, being sold by a veteran's son. His father had cut the stock off at the rear band, threw away the hand guard, bent the bolt, and sanded the heck out of the stock. He couldn't get $75 for it.

Of course none of the guys back then thought that the rifles they were grabbing off a pile (lets face it, that's how most bring backs were "captured") of hundreds knew that the rifle would be worth close to $1000 later on. So I don't blame any of them for what they did.

However, today we know better and every bubba who chops up the stock, and bends the bolt on his Mosin only increases the future value of my rifles.

GO BUBBA! :p

Upvote 0
No offense Luke, but it appears you are being "had" in your gun purchases; paying way too much for stuff. You could have probably got that Schmidt-Rubin by not getting hosed on the SVT-40 and a sanded-down matching k98.

The SVT-40, yes, now I know better. The K98, well..I guess I'll find out today when the package comes. I've spoken to other people who are of the opinion the sanding didn't drastically hurt the value of it, and besides, it's still an all-matching piece with the original finish on the metal parts. It's kind of hard to find any matching K98 these days for that price, you know. ;) Considering I paid more than twice that amount for my matching S/27 1937, I think it was a pretty good deal, all things considered.

Upvote 0
gotta love when an accessory costs more than the rifle

Type 53 rifle $49 shipped
correct Type 53 sling $16 shipped
Type 53 chest rig $60 shipped

1953_Type53p.jpg

Upvote 0
LukeFF, I saw you bidding on that SVT40 on gunbroker. Did you win it? I thought about it, but it seemed like too much for a mismatched bolt.

The Tula 1941 one? The auction's still going on for it. Yeah, the mismatched bolt is a drag, but at least in this case the trigger guard matches the receiver and stock. Pretty hard to find an all-matching original SVT these days, from what it looks like.

Speaking of SVTs. My overpriced 1940 Izzy: ;)

100_0660.jpg

Taking it out to the range tomorrow.

Upvote 0
I saw an SVT40 at a militaria show last week. I've been looking for one for awhile, and I quickly took a closer look at it, only to find that the dealer wanted $1200 for an EPed bolt...

I still walked away with four new (to me) military rifles, though, so I guess I can't complain.

P.S.: The same dealer on gunbroker had an all matching, 1941 TT33 for sale, too. I bought it :).

Upvote 0
Taking it out to the range tomorrow.

Ugh, not a good day. I don't think I had the gas port adjusted right (thanks to my cheapo utility tool already rendered useless), because every time I pulled the trigger the bolt failed to extract the spent casing and load the next round. I put up with it until, around the 20th round, the charging handle was locked solid and I couldn't get it to move. I pulled off the bolt cover to see if removing the springs would loosen up some of the tension. Bad idea - not only did the bolt not budge, but the rear spring guide flew off somewhere into the wild blue yonder. :rolleyes: I finally did get the bolt open by prying it with a flat-edged piece of metal, but of course my day at the range was done by then.

Suffice it to say I won't be firing the SVT again until I get the new tool from Black River and the new spring guide. At least the 20 rounds l put on target were fairly decent (a couple of them in the 8 and 9 ring).

Upvote 0
Ugh, not a good day. I don't think I had the gas port adjusted right (thanks to my cheapo utility tool already rendered useless), because every time I pulled the trigger the bolt failed to extract the spent casing and load the next round. I put up with it until, around the 20th round, the charging handle was locked solid and I couldn't get it to move. I pulled off the bolt cover to see if removing the springs would loosen up some of the tension. Bad idea - not only did the bolt not budge, but the rear spring guide flew off somewhere into the wild blue yonder. :rolleyes: I finally did get the bolt open by prying it with a flat-edged piece of metal, but of course my day at the range was done by then.

Suffice it to say I won't be firing the SVT again until I get the new tool from Black River and the new spring guide. At least the 20 rounds l put on target were fairly decent (a couple of them in the 8 and 9 ring).

ow many meters?
how big was the target? ^^

Upvote 0