• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

I did it!

Yo, I'm glad that you got this great game and I am glad because I got it a week ago also :). I have been reading the forums alot lately and it seems to be a good community :p

And when I saw you had problems to join servers, well I have problems too. I felt like posting my first post.... first post on any forum ever I'm afraid (Hope i'm doing it right:eek:).

Anyway the most common server issue for me is: Everyone freezes in the game except for me. (happens everytime I restart the game)
possible fix temporary(works for me): Join server, wait for freeze, leave, join, press f10 when the downloading screen appears and join again, it always work for me (even thou you might not have that same problem, I felt like posting it anyway :)).

I had long server loads before but I found a fix, sorry I can't remember where I found it now..., but I did something with the 'pre-caches' or something and it's certainly worth a google search.

We'll meet in RO:HoS!:D

Upvote 0
Should i download the darkest hour mod too?

Yes you should, but like Floyd says it would be best to get somewhat comfortable playing RO first. You will find that DH is just a bit different with it's suppression effect. Some people like DH better for that, some people do not. Overall, you might find it easier to get used to the overall gameplay with RO versus DH.

But in the end, yes both are very very much worth your time.

Upvote 0
its a totally different experience than all the shooters out there. High learning curve.

I was wondering why my iron sites sometimes sway more than other times? anyone know?

Also the machine gunner calls in artillery? where is the radio to call it in?
Ohhhh boy...:rolleyes: ;)

Iron sight sway in RO. Time for a little reading and study.

Basics....Iron sights sway just like they would in real life. If you are tired and shooting from an unrested position, they will sway a lot. The longer you stay in iron sights (unrested) the more they sway. Put your weapon down and bring it back up. Your sights sway less when crouched and even less when prone. Supported produces no sway.

So..... shoot quickly from a standing position. If not possible, go prone or crouch. Don't run until you are exhausted and expect your sights to be stable. There is a small white icon that will appear when you can rest your weapon against a surface. Use that for the steadiest shot.

Machine gunner does not call in arty. The squad leader and/or the tank commanders do. On your map (press O) you'll see a radio icon. Do yourself a favor. Stay away from the MG and don't call arty till you know a little more about the game. Otherwise you'll probably get kicked or temp banned from servers for accidental TK's. Yes, Virginia. Friendly fire is ON in this game. ALWAYS. It wouldn't be RO without it.

I'll post back with a link to the manuals...
http://www.redorchestragame.com/index.php?categoryid=3&p13_sectionid=5&p13_fileid=17

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My first experience was on baksan valley with bots. I remember getting hysterical when somebody was spraying a ppsh at me and i did not know where it was coming from because the shooter was too close. I saw bullets hitting everywhere around me and all i could do was sprint like crazy for the church.

Upvote 0
its a totally different experience than all the shooters out there. High learning curve.

Indeed, and the biggest reason for that learning curve in Ro1 is that new players don't really know how to use the mechanics or where to go and what to do, this beeing why Ro2 will have that new HUD stuff to help ease people into it ;)

I was wondering why my iron sites sometimes sway more than other times? anyone know?

It's because you're low on Stamina, sprinting and jumping will exhaust you, as you have probably allready noticed, but beeing exhausted also means beeing stag breathed, which makes it very hard to steady a firearm.

The more exhausted you are, the worse it gets, so conserve your Stamina if you can (try not to sprint all the way to the objective for instance, it just means you'll be in a bad condition when you get there and must fight), and if you can't, then try to rest your weapon on some nearby cover when able, that'll help you steady the aim.

Allways think tactical.

Also the machine gunner calls in artillery? where is the radio to call it in?

Nope, only commanders can call in Arty, and the radios are marked on the map.

Upvote 0
I only had a few things I didn't like. For example, when I died it feels like (dying from a distance) a silenced bullet wizzes into my body, like I just don't get the feel of being shot just my guy decided eh enough war, what is heavan like? Then the whole flinching, I like it and I don't like it, it gives me the feeling that I am being suppressed but it is also quite annoying. It's annoying to me because it feels like every shot that is fired in the entire map suppresses me ( like one that is 50 meters above my head or to my side ) or it's just I am just trying to get used to the feature. I think something else is about it is that my dude just doesn't get forced to do anything besides flinch, flinch everyshot so I am like superman reacting like a crazed rambo on spiderman tingling crack. But like I said I am probably just being a baby or just trying to get used to it! :troll: PS. Troll face rocks

Upvote 0
Yo, I'm glad that you got this great game and I am glad because I got it a week ago also :). I have been reading the forums alot lately and it seems to be a good community :p

And when I saw you had problems to join servers, well I have problems too. I felt like posting my first post.... first post on any forum ever I'm afraid (Hope i'm doing it right:eek:).

Anyway the most common server issue for me is: Everyone freezes in the game except for me. (happens everytime I restart the game)
possible fix temporary(works for me): Join server, wait for freeze, leave, join, press f10 when the downloading screen appears and join again, it always work for me (even thou you might not have that same problem, I felt like posting it anyway :)).

I had long server loads before but I found a fix, sorry I can't remember where I found it now..., but I did something with the 'pre-caches' or something and it's certainly worth a google search.

We'll meet in RO:HoS!:D

Go to the killingfloor section and read the posts about thompson/bebox routers.

What works as well from the moment you obtain the server list wait for longer than 1 minute and then join the server. If you join under 1 minute you get that issue.

Upvote 0
Watch out though, there are some EXTREMELY bad maps in DH on the 29th server (only one that's full 24/7... other servers are full too on weekends).

Try to always vote for the following (in no particular order, they're all fun):

Cheneux
LaGleize
Stoumont
BoisJacques
Stavelot
Foy
Maupertus
Noville
Berlin (some people don't like it as it lasts for an hour and a half but it's EPIC IMO)

I'm probably forgetting one or two but those are the best maps by far IMO. I personally enjoy Doggreen as well (only Omaha map I like... all the others irritate me highly) when there's a good SL and good sappers playing. Otherwise it's a nightmare. But many people hate it regardless. The above list though is guaranteed to give you a great experience.

Oh and if you ever see a map called Lutremange or Donner come up, VOTE AGAINST IT!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0