• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

How many people will be able to be on a server at once?

however i cant remember ever seeing a 64 player server in UT3 :X but it would be nice to see if perhaps a few years now after the release of ut3 higher player slots can be made :p.

But tbh i don't want to see maps like danzig with 50 players and especially not 64+. So if a focus will be laid on bigger servers i hope you have a good amount of freedom to walk around in.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
over9000.jpg

[----------------------------] This many.

Upvote 0
I do remember back in the Mod days there was a update mappack called Summer Offensive and it included a enormously large map called "RO-Perekop". Some friends and me decided to discover the map by foot! We were walking - nonstop - still it took us 45 min to get from one end of the map to the other end. Sadly the map came out so shortly before the mod was succeeded by Ostfront and it was never really ported.
If a map at this size is set up for RO 2 please get at least 64 out there, otherwise it will be a real run around in order to find one enemy to shoot at. :rolleyes:

Concerning the maximum players. I've only made this test with the unreal engine 2.0, but I believe it to be not that different from the 2.5. Still I noticed that bots can only be added in the amount the map designer decided to have max players on it. So if 16 is max, you can have only 15 bots + you. So I changed this to 100 (99 bots + you). If you got a strong machine it's working (more or less lagfree). But as Xedance mentioned Unreal Tournament III has only seen 64 at max. yet.

I do kinda wonder if it's that good for the gameplay that it's that many players. Don't get me wrong, it is like mentioned above with Perekop a very good thing to have. Imagine those large battles if it was possible to get 100 players on one map. But there's the problem/question can a nowadays server handle that many players, particularly if we want (as discussed in another thread) him to provide the same ragdoll vision for all players.
The large disadvantage with that many players is that smaller maps can't be played on servers which have normally such a large number of players on them. Imagine an Entweichen with 32 players (I once participated in this in Mod days - played once or twice it's funny but then it gets horrible) or imagine Krasni Oktyabr (in it's current size) with the cellars and the garage and the construction hall swarming with German and Russian soldiers.
If RO 2 supports +64 players the maps need to be adjusted in their size and of course the reinforcement counts. I'm not against it if it's done in a good way. :)

Upvote 0
however i cant remember ever seeing a 64 player server in UT3 :X but it would be nice to see if perhaps a few years now after the release of ut3 higher player slots can be made :p.

But tbh i don't want to see maps like danzig with 50 players and especially not 64+. So if a focus will be laid on bigger servers i hope you have a good amount of freedom to walk around in.

Well, considering most maps probably won't be like Danzig, i think 50 or 64 players would be excellent.

Upvote 0
o rly what makes you so sure.

1. Danzig sucks.
2. Danzig is only one map; whilst there will undoubtedly be many urban, close-in fights, I'd imagine very few would be so close in as Danzig. My guess would be that more would be like Zhitmor or Odessa.
3. There will be a bunch of medium-to-long range with some close in fighting maps for sure.
4. Probably lots of combined arms maps.
5. Maybe some tank only maps.

That's why I'm sure most maps won't be like Danzig.

Upvote 0
Well if you look at the screen shots TWI has released and video it seems they are making 32 player maps. Clearly CQB fighting.

Obviously they are making some. But do you really believe that, based on 2 videos and a handful of screenshots, every map is going to be like that?

All the videos and screenshots have been on the same map BTW, so there's no way to tell.

Upvote 0
The Unreal 3 engine is a beast and TWI really do have their work cut out to tame so it can run beyond 32 player.
With that said I do think they will push this engine with the intent of trying to achieve 50 player servers.

The good news is this engine fully supports Multi CPU core and Multi threading so the game load can at least be split across more cores and threads to make it run smoother and allow TWI to look at reaching the magic 50 players they achieved with ROOST.

I'm really looking forward to ROHOS.
With all the dire game releases currently on the market and the new in vogue developer stunt of not fully supporting PC versions with full server files.
It will be very refreshing to get a product from a company that we all know will be 100% supported.

Upvote 0
i remember a couple weeks ago i was talking with zets about something and i remember the concept of maps having sectors. depending on how many players are in the game, maps could balance to unlock portions of the map to have the right amound of space for the right amount of players. idealy i'd like to have the majority of the maps be designed to work around 32-40 players in pub play so that they could work for 16-24 players in clan play. however, some nice large CA maps for 64 player pub matches, those would be fun.

Upvote 0