• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

HMG Thread

I always thought it would be really interesting to have a map where one side is outnumbered by the other, but they have well sighted HMGs with earthworks and barbed wire and the other side has to overcome the prepared position with superior numbers, smoke, and engineers. Admittingly the defending side may be more popular to play because if the attackers are bad the defenders will rake up a lot of kills. Still it could make for some really fun battles if the attacking side was competent.

Upvote 0
Xj7Xw.png

Upvote 0
Realistically, HMGs were never meant to be closer than 400 meters from the enemy (from the Maxim manual, IIRC). Of course, they could effectively be used much closer, but since the distances in game rarely exceed 200m, they are already out of their element. The side to side traverse angles are actually about double of what the real mounts would allow (eg. MG34 is 15 degrees, whereas in RO2 it's about 30), which should give you an idea of how far away they are meant to be set up.

From a level design perspective, HMGs also need to be out of spawn protection (ideally) because we want players to be able to actually get up to the gun and take it out. I think most of you would agree that it would be quite cheap to place them far back behind the lines imbedded in spawn protection. The HMGs are also quite difficult to place because of the different mounts (arched base for the Maxim and the tripod for the MG34) and height requirements. Wheels were removed because a) the guns are fixed, so the polys couldn't be justified; and b) they got in the way of trying to place the gun on walls and windows.

Upvote 0
Could have been quite a number of reasons it was made that way. Maybe another view mode (to look over the gun) would have had to be made, or the polycount / texture size became an issue. Keep in mind that the guns currently do not have any bullet collision, so just adding a shield wouldn't do anything except obscure your view even more. ;)

Upvote 0
Keep in mind that the guns currently do not have any bullet collision, so just adding a shield wouldn't do anything except obscure your view even more. ;)

This must be why even when crouching behind the gun you still get headshotted by people, even when the angle of depression or elevation doesn't exceed more then a few degrees.

It's absurd, even when taking cover while using the gun you're still a headshot magnet.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This must be why even when crouching behind the gun you still get headshotted by people, even when the angle of depression or elevation doesn't exceed more then a few degrees.

It's absurd, even when taking cover while using the gun you're still a headshot magnet.

To be fair, I think too many people assume they are shot by a person in front of them in their field of view. Probably half the people or more that I kill are looking in a totally different direction from me. Not saying it doesn't happen like you describe, but probably not as often as you think.

Upvote 0
To be fair, I think too many people assume they are shot by a person in front of them in their field of view. Probably half the people or more that I kill are looking in a totally different direction from me. Not saying it doesn't happen like you describe, but probably not as often as you think.

That's not what's happening. This happens when there is only one direction enemies can come from, and I'm crouching behind the MG. Example: E in Spartanovka is clear, I crouch behind MG, get shot in head. There's nowhere else it could have come from.

Upvote 0
Another big thing missing from HMGs are the fact elevation on most HMGs are set by a elevation wheel. The reason I am mentioning this is that currently HMGs are hard to use in blind firing or shooting through smoke because when traversing the gun side to side you invariably change its elevation slightly. If you can set its elevation with another key, you can continuously sweep an arc of ground regardless of smoke or blindfiring which drastically increases the effectiveness of the weapon. Currently you may be shooting over the heads of the enemy because you slighyl increase the elevation which each mouse movement.

Upvote 0
Realistically, HMGs were never meant to be closer than 400 meters from the enemy (from the Maxim manual, IIRC). Of course, they could effectively be used much closer, but since the distances in game rarely exceed 200m, they are already out of their element. The side to side traverse angles are actually about double of what the real mounts would allow (eg. MG34 is 15 degrees, whereas in RO2 it's about 30), which should give you an idea of how far away they are meant to be set up.

From a level design perspective, HMGs also need to be out of spawn protection (ideally) because we want players to be able to actually get up to the gun and take it out. I think most of you would agree that it would be quite cheap to place them far back behind the lines imbedded in spawn protection. The HMGs are also quite difficult to place because of the different mounts (arched base for the Maxim and the tripod for the MG34) and height requirements. Wheels were removed because a) the guns are fixed, so the polys couldn't be justified; and b) they got in the way of trying to place the gun on walls and windows.

Could have been quite a number of reasons it was made that way. Maybe another view mode (to look over the gun) would have had to be made, or the polycount / texture size became an issue. Keep in mind that the guns currently do not have any bullet collision, so just adding a shield wouldn't do anything except obscure your view even more. ;)

Ah, that makes a lot more sense now that you explained it. Thanks for the reply!

I understand the point about traverse, but it still seems that there's always an inconvenient object or something smack in the middle of the HMG's already limited firing arc, and a lot of the MG positions are still rather oddly placed, like the one on the ground floor of the Grain Elevator near the first Russian spawn facing the Conveyor Tower... it doesn't cover more than a twenty-foot section of sheer wall--AND there's an impenetrable window bar in the way. :p

Upvote 0