• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Hipshots - strategy for accuracy

loveydovey

Oct 13, 2006
ulaanbaatar
hello :eek:

I have question and idea for you.

First is idea:
hipshot are very useful. they can be accurate. they are needed for any rifle-man to live in close quarter fighting.

now question:
how are hipshot aim? i have use practice mode much to try understand of this thing. does pointing-direction of gun matter? it seems yes. does shot fall on imaginary line of the gun angle? this i think but i am not sure. how far do shoot "spread" because of no iron-sights? this i do not know. but after much practice mode i can hit 15% of time from distance 40-50 feet, and 25% distance 30-40, and %50 at 20~. when enemy is in center of screen is much easier (you can make gun angle "point" off-center without make man turn direction full-ways).

what is your way of good hipshot? is there system? is there trick? is there point of reference? if a player can get "Better" at it then it is not random and so there must be data to the hipshot that it would be good to know. what are your idea?

No, hitting at the center of the screen is a standard for the melee attacks, but if you hit dead center when shooting, that one is the bug, and I would guess its because of lag. (Possibely connected to the no-recoil bug?)

Its most noticable when using a full-auto or semi-auto, but if you can hipshoot well you will easily notice, even with a bolt-action, that when you aim and hit somthing its not at the center of the screen all the time.

Now I'm no pro, but after my magic artillery, hip-shooting is one of my specalties.

Mostly learning to hipshoot well is a lot of hit and miss (pun intended), but it can be done with practice. I find that trying not to concentrate on it too much will help me do it more often. Sometimes trying to imagine that your rifle is an extra 20 feet longer, and looking where its pointing, can also help a little with hip-shooting.

If you want to get good at it, or at least decent, just practice against bots (NOT People) and make sure to never enter iron-sights, including long range shots.

Upvote 0
Shoot once from the hip and see where shot goes. Don't bolt, then remeber exactly where it hit. Remeber that tiny pixel and follow it. Don't move, bolt, then go into tunnel vision looking at only the point. If you're good enough, that second shot will get him in the head which I once did.

Or imagine you're rifle has a dead accurate laser pointer.

In CQC I usually rely on luck and bayonets though.Or that stolen TT33.

Upvote 0
Like others have said, practice, and shoot by instinct. Once you start to get a feel for it, try this - when moving, always keep your muzzle pointed at the spot where an enemy could show up - at the top of a flight of stairs as you're moving up, for example. That way if he suddenly appears, you don't have to think about where your muzzle is pointed, it's already "aimed" at him and all you have to do is pull the trigger. This practice can save your life but can also unfortunately lead to TKs when you bump into an unexpected friendly and shoot reflexively.

Upvote 0
This is the only way. If you practice/play enough, you can hipshoot accurately by only "feeling". When it's close quarters combat, there's no time to think. Experience (and some luck) talks :)

Definitely the "feeling" of the weapon you are using is imho one of the crucial keys for hipshooting .
MP41 is one my strengths it does a great compromise at accuracy and the low ROF really makes it perfect for close combat.
My second choice would be the PPD40
In your case loveydovey you should practice with the SMGs first cos i'm sure that you get the "hipshoot-feeling" faster with that weaponry than with Bolt-action rifles :)

Upvote 0
I'd say at best, hipshooting is 75% luck and 25% skill.

You can always estimate the region on your screen where the bullet will go, but you are never guaranteed a hit.

Its not like its the same for everyone though..like in DOD you can say 50% of kills are luck because its out of the players control where the bullets go, but if you aim in the right place in RO when hipshooting the bullet WILL kill the target. This means its 100% skill doesn't it? Or do you think that it doesn't matter where the gun is pointing and theres some random factor we can't control that determines whether the hipshot hits the target? This is with bolts anyway, obviously theres some randomness with other guns.

Upvote 0
Mmm...

It's actually not very hard to hipshoot, you just have to imagine it's real life. Have you ever tried aiming an off flashlight from the hip at where you're looking without really seeing where it's pointing, and turning it on and it's on target?

Same in RO, thanks to the freeaim. You keep your eyes on your target at all times and move your gun as if it was real. If the recoil outdoes you, get back to normal and try again. It needs much practice too, then it becomes so natural :cool:

Upvote 0
Short Primer on Hipshooting with the Papasha -

When within around 20m range, point in general direction of the target.
Depress the trigger.

PFPFPFEKFEPFPFPPFFPPFRRRRFPFPFPRPRPPRPFPRPRPPFPFPRPRPFPPFPRPPFPRPRPPFPFPRPFFPPFPFPFPFPPRPRPFPFFRRFFPRPFPRPFRPPFRPFRPFPRPFRPFPRPFPRPFPRPFPRPFPR FPRPFPPRP FPRPFPRFPRP

The target is now dead. Reload.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Its not like its the same for everyone though..like in DOD you can say 50% of kills are luck because its out of the players control where the bullets go, but if you aim in the right place in RO when hipshooting the bullet WILL kill the target. This means its 100% skill doesn't it? Or do you think that it doesn't matter where the gun is pointing and theres some random factor we can't control that determines whether the hipshot hits the target? This is with bolts anyway, obviously theres some randomness with other guns.

I'm saying that since you cant know for sure where the bullet will go when hipshooting, you can't say it was all skill. It was helped by it, certainly.

When you pull off an amazing hipshot (hit someone at a far range, hit someone hiding/taking cover, etc) do you think to yourself- "Ah-ha! Exactly how I expected that to happen!" or "Wow, I'm glad I was able to pull that off." ?

Upvote 0