• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Hey Ramm-Jaeger what happened to hero status & MkB42H/AVT40 being rare weapons?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure TWI knew they'd be pissing off a bunch of their fans with some of these design decisions. But as they repeatedly told us in the months before release, they want to greatly expand their fan base. Totally understandable and makes good business sense - cannot fault them for wanting to expand profits, hire more employees, gain wider reputation, etc.

I wish them all the best with this strategy, because at their core I think they are one of the best game designers in the business and they deserve these things.

I'm personally disappointed in the direction they took in regards to things like the weapons rarity, prototypes, the UI, etc. etc. but I know all it amounts to is nerd rage.

Maybe they'll fix everything up in the next 6 months and redo a bunch of the creaky aspects of the game, maybe not. Either way, count me disappointed in RO2; still a good game, but like most hyped things in life, fell short of my expectations.

Upvote 0
I'm sure TWI knew they'd be pissing off a bunch of their fans with some of these design decisions. But as they repeatedly told us in the months before release, they want to greatly expand their fan base. Totally understandable and makes good business sense - cannot fault them for wanting to expand profits, hire more employees, gain wider reputation, etc.

I wish them all the best with this strategy, because at their core I think they are one of the best game designers in the business and they deserve these things.

I'm personally disappointed in the direction they took in regards to things like the weapons rarity, prototypes, the UI, etc. etc. but I know all it amounts to is nerd rage.

Maybe they'll fix everything up in the next 6 months and redo a bunch of the creaky aspects of the game, maybe not. Either way, count me disappointed in RO2; still a good game, but like most hyped things in life, fell short of my expectations.

The thing is, I don't think they've appealed to a wider audience at all with the MKB and elite assault changes. In fact I think they've turned quite a lot of new people off by giving one team such an extraordinary advantage. I know a lot of people who never touched the original RO or utterly hated it, who really liked the game during the beta but when the MKB showed up stopped playing entirely because of how much it broke the game. I mean the gun isn't unbeatable but to a new player it seems to be

Upvote 0
I don't mind them trying to get a larger fanbase by making certain design choises but I do mind that those design choices are the opposite of what they told us they would be doing. I bought the game thinking rare weapons will be rare, they're anything but. I don't mind the bugs, they can be fixed, the problem are the choices they made.

Upvote 0
Will it be possible to collect stats on a mutated server only so a server can decide when something will be unlocked and weapon loadout? If that is the case then I don't care about the ridiculous system TWI came up with (after changing their minds from a good idea!)
I would still like to see progress in my avatar and heroes etc. and if it is bound to the server so be it. At present the unlocks and stats are a joke anyway. 2 of my mates were level 80 yesterday and one could choose hero class but he just started with RO recently...

Upvote 0

The sad true is, that in this approach, the business case fails in long term. TWI can sell a few more copies of their RO2 to mainstream people, but because RO2 is far worse than BF2 and COD in arcadish movie style gameplay, the mainstream people will abandon the game very soon. And this approach has forfeited loyal realism freaks like myself. I won't preorder RO3 or any other game from TWI anymore, because I do not trust them anymore.

It is like chasing two rabits - you do not cath one. The game is not good enough for hardcore realism freaks, but not good enough for mainstream either.

Red Orchestra brand is dying in mainstream, just like Day of Defeat died few years ago... Sad, but true.

Upvote 0
The thing is that as it stands now, if you read the forums, that TWI seems to have diluted what their strength was and what the RO brand was built on--realism centered around the bolt-action rifle. It's a pretty unique dynamic, and I think people felt a sense of comaraderie and identity when they were one of a dozen (or two) people with identically awkward weapons on their team. Nothing takes you out of the mindset of present day warfare than a weapon that is not used anymore, and by having the boltie as the heart of RO 1, TWI had a unique selling point. Now the design has marginalized those bolties.

However, I can't wait until the mutators/mods/servers come out with bolt-heavy balances, and I'll play predominantly with those.

Upvote 0
(Edit: Check this entire original post I quoted before some1 deletes it.. (click on that tiny blue icon))
But aye, here we are, every fool can run around with mp40/II, bandaging takes 1.5 sec, MP40's are as "rare" (practically) as MKBs and ive seen only 1 PPSH drum so far.

I checked the original and it really is a goldmine. This one made me chuckle:

[TW]Wilsonam said:
Originally Posted by Alois Himmel
Now perhaps these guns will be rare, perhaps they won't be seen often on the maps. And that might make it ok, but can someone tell me with some confidence that this is the case?

Yes. I can. With 100% confidence. Trust us.

In Tripwire we trust.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So far I have played 5 hours of RO2 (I only played those because I had too!). I must say I had such high hopes and expectations for this game! Sadly they were only met with crushing disapointment. Hopefully TWI can fix this up, at least to the stage where modders can make something of it.

Hoffmann :(

I play for 30 minutes to an hour every day or 2.

Anymore than that and I'm either A. Drunk or B. really pissed about something and need to take it out on some pixels

Upvote 0
It's time that they just flat-out admit that they misrepresented this issue before the game was released.

The game might have existed that way during development, but it doesn't now. I do really like this game (I've played like 65 hours, including the beta), but plain and simple: what has been delivered was not what was promised.

Upvote 0
Ouch

Ouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by [TW]Wilsonam
Quote:
Now perhaps these guns will be rare, perhaps they won't be seen often on the maps. And that might make it ok, but can someone tell me with some confidence that this is the case?

end quote

Well I strongly disagreed with a previous post that called the devs liars but if that quote is right I can only say in his defense that Wilsonam was not lying at the given time. So call it a lie or sth else but my formerly blind trust is gone in TWI and I will practice caution with their games in the future and stop spreading the word about their games. Not that it matters but I convinced 4 people to buy RO2 for the features promised but feel a bit embarrassed as my mates are taking the piss now...

Upvote 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by [TW]Wilsonam
Quote:

end quote

Well I strongly disagreed with a previous post that called the devs liars but if that quote is right I can only say in his defense that Wilsonam was not lying at the given time. So call it a lie or sth else but my formerly blind trust is gone in TWI and I will practice caution with their games in the future and stop spreading the word about their games. Not that it matters but I convinced 4 people to buy RO2 for the features promised but feel a bit embarrassed as my mates are taking the piss now...

I've done the same, ive even gone to lengths to say that this was going to be better than BF3, well now it looks as though i have egg on my face!! :eek:

Upvote 0
So far I have played 5 hours of RO2 (I only played those because I had too!). I must say I had such high hopes and expectations for this game! Sadly they were only met with crushing disapointment. Hopefully TWI can fix this up, at least to the stage where modders can make something of it.

Argh, with full sorrow I have to say the same thing. I eagerly await the mods. Because TWI damaged my trust and I think alot of people share the same feeling.

Reactions: Uffz.Juschkat
Upvote 0
Funny thing is it really feels like PPSH and MKB recoil is the same despite the huge round differences, and overall having assault rifles in such amounts and accessibility is as retarded as bolt action rifles in a game with muskets.

BTW I havent seen Wilsonam post anything informative on the forums for quite a while after the beta date rage. Now.. just forget he ever existed, wont be suprised if Ramm comes here and blames it all on him for "misinforming" us, too.

Upvote 0

Ernst haven't you logged well over 1,000 hours on RO1? :(

Upvote 0
Not that it matters but I convinced 4 people to buy RO2 for the features promised but feel a bit embarrassed as my mates are taking the piss now...

Same here.

i got 3 of my friends to buy this game by promising them it was a realistic and authentic shooter; as it stands i look like a moron now. My friends will probably never trust my recommendations again, and in turn i wont trust TWI again.

TWI was one of my favorite devs, i really am sad now :(

Bohemia Interactive is the only PC dev that hasnt sold out yet, but we shall see with the release of ARMA3

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.