• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Guns jamming.

Thats the problem.
Oversimplified reliability/jamm system is A LOT worse than no-reliability.
Well yeah, of course that was just sortof a running issue with that game. The whole enchilada was oversimplified. If the reliability and durability values had been better adjusted it would've been decent for such a simple game at least.

Upvote 0
Thats the problem.
Oversimplified reliability/jamm system is A LOT worse than no-reliability.
The reliability system in Stalker was completely fine given the pacing and type of game Stalker is. Obviously it wasn't a "realistic" depiction since to get feeding problems in a weapon you need significantly more rounds going through it without cleaning than stalker portrayed.

That type of reliability mechanic, realistic or not, wouldn't make very much sense in this type of game anyways. You aren't placed in a persistent world to adventure and fight in over time, it can just be assumed that prior to every match in RS2 everyone already checked and cleaned their weaponry.

The closest reliability mechanic I could see in the game is having weapons malfunction if you dive/prone in mud and the game showed your weapon caked with mud. At least then you'd have some control over the reliability instead of it being completely random. But then we run into other problems like how does one get their weapon to 100% reliability again besides just intentionally dying to respawn with a clean rifle? Do the weapons just "auto-clean" themselves if you clear enough malfunctions? What impact would this have on level design and weapon balance?

I think in depth reliability systems could be pretty interesting for an FPS, but only for an open and persistent world FPS. Not for matched based games like this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think this could be a nice feature. This would make sense due to dirt and high humidity on the battlefield.
Gun jamming? are you the same dude who request for this feature on every gaming forum such as Squad etc?

Want to have a gun jamming on you? join the army and don't **** your pants if the rifle ever jams on you.

As far as gaming goes I would be really pissed over stupid feature like this, whats next OP, an option to stroke clean the rifle barrel before joining a server just to make sure it wont jam on you?

Upvote 0
Gun jamming? are you the same dude who request for this feature on every gaming forum such as Squad etc?

Want to have a gun jamming on you? join the army and don't **** your pants if the rifle ever jams on you.

As far as gaming goes I would be really pissed over stupid feature like this, whats next OP, an option to stroke clean the rifle barrel before joining a server just to make sure it wont jam on you?

Nah, it's a valid request for a (semi-)realistic game (make it a server option etc...)
You may not be in favour of it, but do you really need to play the completely meaningless 'join the army' card to make your opinion valid? One can play that card on ANY suggestion that's even remotely realistic...

Upvote 0

Oh my god, are you that guy who constantly asks for no health-regeneration and no crosshairs?

Want to have realistic wounds and no crosshairs on the screen? Join the army and don't **** your pants if you will be ever get bullet in your stomach.

As far as gaming goes I would be really pissed over stupid feature like this, whats next OP, an option to lean down to iron sights??

Upvote 0
Ok then, lets put aside what I said about the join the army and get back to the feature.

My opinion is its a ****ty feature because is unpredictable. There is enough bugs and instabilities that games bring in on release and still have them later down the road, so why we need any more unpredictable things?

Face it, no game release will have this feature, but modders can do whatever they want to, so can players too, I don't have to join a server where you click to shoot and be greeted with random jamming.

Some of us don't go full nerdgasm and jizz all over a jamming feature.

Upvote 0
I think it probably shouldn't be in a multiplayer game. Seems cool for an RPG type game like Fallout or Stalker though.
Exactly my point that this feature should avoid MP, now SP cinematic gameplay, well sure why not but TWI are not into making SP games.

When speaking of this sort of feature we have to think what after the jamming?

Does your trigger keep on jamming after the first jam?

Do you have to click another unnecessary keyboard button so your soldier can do some staged movement AKA trying to unjam?

What if after jamming = you cannot unjam it and you don't have side arm to switch to because your class restricts you....?

I know when I play MP the last thing I want is an unpredictable disadvantage, same feeling I share for having an advantage over newcomers with my soldier extended stamina,keeping lesser weapon sway etc etc etc.

I hope we wont see the hero vs newbies advantages in RS2, but I wont keep my hopes high.

Upvote 0
Does your trigger keep on jamming after the first jam?

Why not? If we make a baseline of 1:10000 of failure to feed or something similar per shot with some minor random +\- value, the odds of it occuring twice on a short notice are phenomenal.

Do you have to click another unnecessary keyboard button so your soldier can do some staged movement AKA trying to unjam?

Who said it has to be overly complicated? Hit reload button twice to initiate action to fix the problem? Hold the reload button for half a second to solve the problem?

(Of course mean person could make it a minigame when your gun jams you have to solve logic puzzles and math equations to fix the malfunction instead.)

What if after jamming = you cannot unjam it and you don't have side arm to switch to because your class restricts you....?

Pick another one from the ground? Use it as a club and hit someone in the face? Odds of unusable weapon after malfunction being well, easily made relatively rare sight?

I know when I play MP the last thing I want is an unpredictable disadvantage, same feeling I share for having an advantage over newcomers with my soldier extended stamina,keeping lesser weapon sway etc etc etc.

Human element is often unpredictable disadvantage the more you look into it. Even with in-game advantages one could still work around the issue by working around common video game logic and showing it up someone's bottom since foreknowledge thanks to respawning, common map spots and typical player behaviour alongside general FPS experience can get you pretty far. Relatively rare shenanigan which may work both ways is not going to break the game in public game. Competitive play might be another story but they are probably not going to play with standard ruleset either in game like RO.

Upvote 0
Why not? If we make a baseline of 1:10000 of failure to feed or something similar per shot with some minor random +\- value, the odds of it occuring twice on a short notice are phenomenal.

Who said it has to be overly complicated? Hit reload button twice to initiate action to fix the problem? Hold the reload button for half a second to solve the problem?

(Of course mean person could make it a minigame when your gun jams you have to solve logic puzzles and math equations to fix the malfunction instead.)

Pick another one from the ground? Use it as a club and hit someone in the face? Odds of unusable weapon after malfunction being well, easily made relatively rare sight?

Human element is often unpredictable disadvantage the more you look into it. Even with in-game advantages one could still work around the issue by working around common video game logic and showing it up someone's bottom since foreknowledge thanks to respawning, common map spots and typical player behaviour alongside general FPS experience can get you pretty far. Relatively rare shenanigan which may work both ways is not going to break the game in public game. Competitive play might be another story but they are probably not going to play with standard ruleset either in game like RO.
Here is something for you to chew on regarding pick another weapon from the ground...

Very very rare you found your self picking up another weapon from the ground due to running out of ammo, this excludes picking up weapon because the bolt rifle your stuck does not do too well in a close quarter combat part of the map.

Here is why: in case of a jam will for sure not happen on your first trigger pull, most likely will happen after shooting some rounds and then boom will lock on you, then you have to press button ( lets say reload button as you proposed) so your soldier can perform some scripted unjamming, lets say that unjamming last around 3-5 seconds for the sake to keep realism in mind even though unjamming in real life can take longer than that...

In this case scenario, every time you shoot and miss and then you get the jam for sure the person you shot at already spotted you or his team mates did and its game over. It is game over even if magically there is a weapon laying on the ground near by you.

So as you see while few people will get jizz in their paints when it happens to them in MP, the majority of 90%+ players will be pissed every time it happens, trust me it will be lots of heat going towards the devs if this feature is in the game release, but as mod is fine, because no one is forced to play it.

Upvote 0
Here is why: in case of a jam will for sure not happen on your first trigger pull, most likely will happen after shooting some rounds and then boom will lock on you, then you have to press button ( lets say reload button as you proposed) so your soldier can perform some scripted unjamming, lets say that unjamming last around 3-5 seconds for the sake to keep realism in mind even though unjamming in real life can take longer than that...

We all know RO hardly is ultimate army cobbler simulator with in-depth simulation of barrel wear, ammunition quality, diseases, lack of hobnails on footwear and whatnot. Why does it have to be 200% hardcore balls to the walls realism feature in a game that at best hits 20%?

In this case scenario, every time you shoot and miss and then you get the jam for sure the person you shot at already spotted you or his team mates did and its game over. It is game over even if magically there is a weapon laying on the ground near by you.

If you missed your shot and you got spotted, what difference there will be between rebolt and unjamming to anyone with decent reflexes? What if they assumed you are there to begin with and acted accordingly? In both cases whether there was a jam or not would not hardly make a difference unless you are the one to predict and act what is perceived to be very unfavourable situation. There is nothing to really prevent quick 360 noscope scenarios in RO2 to make such things impractical from most ranges, and bullet penetration also makes even random shot practical given some technical knowledge where (by game logic) are areas to shoot through.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you missed your shot and you got spotted, what difference there will be between rebolt and unjamming to anyone with decent reflexes? What if they assumed you are there to begin with and acted accordingly? In both cases whether there was a jam or not would not hardly make a difference unless you are the one to predict and act what is perceived to be very unfavourable situation. There is nothing to really prevent quick 360 noscope scenarios in RO2 to make such things impractical from most ranges, and bullet penetration also makes even random shot practical given some technical knowledge where (by game logic) are areas to shoot through.

It does makes difference, like I said before no one guarantees if the gun will jam on your last bullet from the magazine...

For example you are shooting at someone with the AK or M16 and the gun jams on your 3rd bullet = you die and you didn't got your chance to keep on unloading at the target because you have to unjam the rifle....

I bet anyone that this sort of unpredictable feature wont make it to RO2, I guess will see at release if it has or hasn't.

Upvote 0