• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Grenade Discussion (Merged About 3000 Times)

I like the idea, myself...but it would make the german vs russian grenades un ballanced. I would say to not pull the pin untill your sure your gunna throw it...lol
I would aprove this (As if that means anything) but it would make german side slightly unballanced...but what ever.

No, it wouldn't make things unbalanced; it would make thigns more realistic. The 'pineapple' style grenades had pull-pins and arming spoons (just like the American version) so pins should be able to be replaced. If you're under fire and want to spend those extra seconds putting an itty-bitty pin in an itty-bitty hole with shaking hands, that's your business!

As for the German 'stick grenades' there WAS no pin to replace, so that's that. You pull the priming lanyard get rid of the thing because once it's armed there's no going back.

As long as it's done in a proper time frame, I don't see an issue with grenade pins being replaced. OTOH, it's really not that big of a deal now so I don't see this being a hot item for 'fixing' unless some independent modder wants to tackle it.

Upvote 0
No, it wouldn't make things unbalanced; it would make thigns more realistic. The 'pineapple' style grenades had pull-pins and arming spoons (just like the American version) so pins should be able to be replaced. If you're under fire and want to spend those extra seconds putting an itty-bitty pin in an itty-bitty hole with shaking hands, that's your business!

As for the German 'stick grenades' there WAS no pin to replace, so that's that. You pull the priming lanyard get rid of the thing because once it's armed there's no going back.

As long as it's done in a proper time frame, I don't see an issue with grenade pins being replaced. OTOH, it's really not that big of a deal now so I don't see this being a hot item for 'fixing' unless some independent modder wants to tackle it.
If we want to make things more realistic then the game shouldnt have even been made...Why? Because the allies won the war...there i told you the ending, no need to play...
The point im making is that sometimes you need to put gameplay before realism...
I never said it wouldnt make it more realistic i said that for the sake of even sides it might hinder more then help.
And i know my history and weapons sir, i dont need an explanation on how grenades work thank you...
BBut as soon as someone applys this 'replace-pin' feature to the russian grenades, people will be complaining about the german grenades what can be done about that? nothing...so why bother with it? I just dont see this as a top priorty to argue about...
Its a nice idea but I PERSONALY, K Rohm, dont think its more needed than some of the other suggestion...AT THIS POINT...this is of no offence to JuhaMi or Mi's idea...

Upvote 0
I think this should be a matter of if a soldier would rather than if he could. Since we have established that it should be possible to replace the pin in a grenade, we should consider if it would actually be realistic to implement it.

What I mean is that we should decide whether it would be common for a soldier to try this, rather than just throwing his grenade away.

Basically what I'm saying is that there are a whole bunch of things that are *possible* to do IRL but would be very unlikely for someone to do in war due to being foolhardy.

For an example (which I've used before):

It is *possible* to throw a rifle with a bayonet on the end like a spear. However that would be an exceedingly *stupid* thing for a solider to do, so implementing the ability to do so would never be considered.

Think about what you would do if you were holding a live grenade after you had pulled it's pin. I personally would not risk possibly killing myself just to save a grenade. Also take into account that soldiers basically did what they were trained to do; I'm pretty sure they would not have been told that they could replace their grenades' pins.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I thought this matter only by "game aspect", but in real world I would rather put the pin back than cook a grenade and cooking is in the game...thats just my opinion :).
I was instructed how to disarm our own booby trap pipebombs and thats not so safe thing to do also...but they didn't also mention nothing about the pin thing. When I go to the refresher course, i'll ask...;).

Upvote 0
This is the most retarded this I have ever heard of.

At no point is history was it doctrine to try and put a pin back in a grenade! Hell, no one would Logically try it. It shouldn't be an option. There is no good in it (grenades aren't scarce), and it's just not tactically sound.

...if you want this implemented though. I say if someone is attempting to reapply the pin to their grenade they should be considered a "neutral" target for the duration. Thata' way, much like any logical seargent or what not would have done, I can shoot them in the head and kick the boom rock.

I think you folks aren't looking into how outrageously difficult it is to put the pin back in a grenade at a workbench; let alone in the midst of combat!?

If you need hands on experience to truely understand I advise you to go to your local Marin Corp. or Army surplus and pick up a "dead" grenade; they should have a few even if not for sale. While you there, attempt to remove the pin and reapply it; ...you'll make my case for me.

{WP}Paas

Upvote 0
It's not a big deal for me, it just would be a nice little detail. Little details gives you more choises to make and so maybe little more the real life feeling. If someone don't like it, just don't use it in the game, it would not change anything to those. As you can take dead soldiers rifle and ammo in the game, would you do that in real life, when you are in the middle of combat?

Upvote 0
The only problem I can see is that, in RL, when you pull the pin out its two little butterfly prongs are bent straight and in order to put it back and call the grenade safe again, you usually have to bend the prongs out again with a pair of plyers.

If the pin was disposable in those WW2 grenades, then my idea is dead and buried . The only live grenades I have seen, in those you can reuse the pin safely without any pliers.

Upvote 0
I have no experience with greandes used in WW2 but other than that I have experience with (one) grenade type used today. Well you could put the pin back but why?

First of all: When do you throw a grenade?
There has to be a situation where a grenade fits.
Like you want to enter a room where you think that enemies could be hidden there.
So if one of your mates kills one of the enemies the threat that there are more in there remains.
And basically in reality there is comunication between you and your mates. You know what they do and what they are supposed to do. So "prime a nade and after the boom let's rumble". Simple as that. You see one, kill him, but won't enter untill there was the "boom" as arranged. Hell you are in a war, you won't hassle making your nade safe again you will throw it to the area where you think that the enemy hides. And if there are your friends right now, well that was a problem of comunication rather than making the nade safe.

Edit: No, there is no second. ;)

Upvote 0
The grenades I've seen consists of the well known pineapple shaped explosive charge, a handle with a spring connected to the fuse and a pin preventing the spring from shooting off the handle and starting the fuse. Now, the correct way to throw this thing is 1. Pull the pin. 2. Let go of the handle -> Ignite the fuse. 3. Throw at the enemy.

Once #2 is done there is no putting the pin back in, since the fuse is already burning. The suicidal waiting done between #2 and #3 is what we call cooking the grenade and that is what you do at the moment once you pull the pin in RO.

Thus we should be able to conclude that trying to put the pin back in is wrong, since the only thing that would stop the inevitable explosion that will follow is if the grenade is in fact a dud. Second, as a few people has already pointed out, there is no point in saving a grenade. There are more than one enemy on the field, and even if you don't see one grenades are used to flush out probable enemy strongpoints. A grenade that doesn't kill anyone is still not a waste as long as you used it to cover a piece of the frontline.

Upvote 0
Take a look at this site i have posted below...
and glance at the poctures that show the pin and how its bent into place...picture what it would be like to have to squees the two prongs together, attempt to guide the two prongs through the hole and then have to bend the pin wires back into place...
Yes its possible...but is it really something that a soldier would consider in the heat of battle? I just think the effort is a waste of a few valuable moments that could be better used watching out for his buddies and continue fighting a battle.
http://www.inert-ord.net/russ02i/f1_ww2/

Upvote 0