• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Grenade Discussion (Merged About 3000 Times)

Arete

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 26, 2005
Sweden
www.aretemusic.tk
I have some thoughts on the use of grenades. I've looked around, but these things might've been mentioned before in a topic I'm unaware of, but here goes.

1. The amount of grenades
One thing that's rather irritating in some maps in the mod is simply the amount of grenades, and the grenade spam it causes. There have been many times when grenades are simply thrown all the time without any thought spent on it. Grenades should be used rather sparsely, to use at key positions when you have to clear a room. The beginning of rounds is a perfect example on many maps, the first thing both teams do is to rush out, and everyone throws every grenade they have at the positions they know the enemy is going to come from... not that realisitic in my view.
How about making a limit to the amount of grenades a team has?
Say, for example, that the amount of grenades a team has is 'reloading'. At the start of the round, the team has 5-6 grenades, distributed at random between the players. Then the team stack of grenades reloads slowly, maybe about one new grenade every 30 seconds. So the second wave of reinforcements gets far less grenades (if the second wave spawns 40 seconds after the first, only one grenade gets distributed among that wave). It would affect gameplay in the way that grenades gets a more tactical role, you wouldn't just waste them.
Another way to do it would be to have them as a reward for players. Perhaps helping a capture gets you one or two grenades as a reward for being useful for your team. Perhaps reward one grenade for every five kills? These grenades would be equipped at the next spawn for that player (of course, this could be put in a per-player grenade stack, so that a player can carry 2-3 grenades at max).

2. More control over grenade throwing/lobbing
This has to do with the "if it's easy in real life, it should be easy in the game" view the devs have. Among the hardest things in RO (or in any game) is to measure the length of a grenade throw, or throw it a chosen distance. Most notable, lobbing a grenade a short distance is harder in RO than making a very long throw. Why not add a distance control when throwing? One idea would be to make the mouse wheel a distance controller. When I push the mouse button to hold back the grenade, show a small bar on which I can roll the mouse wheel to choose the distance I want to throw, and upon release of the mouse button it would release and throw. Right now, when I see someone at a distance I push and hold the button to throw a grenade, then I see someone closing in on me at short distance but I know I will still throw the grenade at full force.

Well just two thoughts :)

I think having a random timer would help..

That reloading grenades on the spawns does sound like one good idea to limit them.
But i dunno, could be annoying, sometimes you simply need the grenades.. it'd be annoying not to have one because people are dying alot.
As long as you always got at least 1 it would be fine, though.

Upvote 0
But you where saying limit the team..

What if someone else is spamming grnades, then you dont' get them?

I would like it if it was per person. If someone starts off every respawn with lobbing grenades at the enemy and ramboing in and dying, then they'll quickly start respawning with none. If someone doesn't die much and just uses their grenades wisely, they'd usually or always have the maximum ammount.

I would hate it if people where limited to 1 grenade always. You do need two, sometimes. There needs to be something else to limit grenade spam besides only having 1 grenade. And 1 grenade limit doesn't solve it.. 16*1=16 grenades still.

Say you have 2-3. You should with 4 in your pool in the begining. Everyone say, four minutes or so, you'd get another. Half of your unused grenades would go back into the pool.
Letssay 3 you start with.
When you die, you would never get more than half of what's in your pool, maximum 3, rounded down
So if you die before 4 minutes in the begining and use all your grenades, you have 4 in the pool. The next respawn you get 2 grenades(half of 4). Now 2 is left.
Next death is past the 4minutes and you used all grenades, you have another put in your pool to make 3. half of 3, rounded down, is 1. So you respawn with 1.
You can see how someone that keeps throiwng all theirs and dying alot will run out. Someoen that is more conservative and doesn't die would half a full supply to have when needed.
I know myself i rarely used grenades, but sometimes i did need to throw 2 of them.

If they put in a limit of how many grenades you could get per X ammount of time, and then when you get clsoer to your limit you start spawning with less, ultimately 0, and over time your grenade "pool" would refresh, I think that'd do the trick.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Grenade Discussion (Merged About 3000 Times)

Granted nades were used in war, the way RO incorporates them into the game subtracts GREATLY from realistic gameplay. THERE ARE JUST TOO MANY! I've been complaining about this for 3 years, and many players agree with me. When you die and respawn your nades replenish, and this leads to an unrealistic amount of grenades raining down on every map, every second.

Please, for the love of God, make a limit system on grenades, just like "reinforcements" run out... make grenades run out.

I don't know if this is even possible, but please think about it. A lot of us who have been playing since the beginning of this masterpiece of a game are sick and tired of 100 grenade explosions and 20 smoke grenades ruining our firefights. It's just BS... in a 15min section of a battle, how many grenades were thrown. I guarentee you it is no where near the amount of nade spam we have been dealing with for 3 years.

Upvote 0
My proposition to reduce percieved problematic nadespam would be this: Tankers, Snipers, MG'rs and possibly Commanders get no nades, that's right zero. If you're a Tanker,Sniper,MG'r and you're resorting to using nades you've failed at your role. It would help focus players roles knowing that they better concentrate on Sniping, MG'ing etc rather than pulling a nade and joining the assault soldiers fray. Give SMG'rs 2 (or even 3 nades) Sappers I guess could get zero too since their job is to sap not assault. Bolt & semi Rifles could each get 1 nade.

Upvote 0
It is always in almost every game. Throw your nades as soon as possible. There are usually 2 reasons for this. Either the maps are too small or too short(America's Army), or there is a spawn opportunity(CoD, RO). In flashpoint, you never use your nades, if you don't know if the enemy really is there. Reason?

Only way to cut this is, to make as suggested above. Remove nades from MGs, snipers, tankcrew. Even when these don't throw their nades, they do drop them when they die.

One thing could also be that you get nades like every second turn. First you have nades, then u die and don't have, then u die and have. That would be quite stupid, but there really isn't a easy way to cut that system out, in game like this. Infantry maps are just too small, and there are too many reinforces(ergo, you can throw the nades at start cuz you know u can spawn 20 times and always get more, without really needing to go rearm in rearm places.)

Upvote 0
k98Lemur said:
Granted nades were used in war, the way RO incorporates them into the game subtracts GREATLY from realistic gameplay. THERE ARE JUST TOO MANY! I've been complaining about this for 3 years, and many players agree with me. When you die and respawn your nades replenish, and this leads to an unrealistic amount of grenades raining down on every map, every second.

Please, for the love of God, make a limit system on grenades, just like "reinforcements" run out... make grenades run out.

I don't know if this is even possible, but please think about it. A lot of us who have been playing since the beginning of this masterpiece of a game are sick and tired of 100 grenade explosions and 20 smoke grenades ruining our firefights. It's just BS... in a 15min section of a battle, how many grenades were thrown. I guarentee you it is no where near the amount of nade spam we have been dealing with for 3 years.

Yes, I completely agree and I also have complained about this nade issue a lot before.

Suggestions:

1) Increase time for weapon switching
2) make a improved throw system
3) limit grenades

Point 1) together with point 2) may be sufficient and point 3) is the easiest solution

Upvote 0
Oi!Oi!Oi! said:
Good idea Quietus.

1 grenade for rifles

2 for assault.

None for others.

Grenades could also be removed from ammo supplies.

Or ammo supplies could be removed all together.
Thanks. Also I agree the ammo supplies need tweaking too. Like get rid of "communal" ammo supplies that somehow magically supply the right kind of ammo for both Allies & Axis simultaneously. The only spots that should have ammo supplies are areas initially controlled by one side or another and only supply ammo to that side! That way you don't get Jonny Panzerfaust going into Initially Soviet territory and magically forging 3 new Panzerfausts in the field from Soviet ammo. Also get rid of ammo supplies sprinkled in areas where it would be absurd to believe an ammo dump would exist (the ammo supply in Arad on the riverbank??, not controlled by either side comes to mind). Also no advancing ammo dumps like in KrasnyiOktobre (however it's spelled). If you want (or need) ammo in newly conquered territory you need to start collecting dead enemies weapons. All these things combined would help focus the roles and increase the realism.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I agree nades should be limited.
Imo, the best solution to limit nade spam was in the map Jucha back in the mod. Only the riflemen spawned with 2 nades each and the others get nothing. Since the bolters tend to get outgunned by the SMGs, semi-autos, and MGs, giving them the nades makes sense. There's a reason why Jucha is considered one of the best RO maps ever. Without the unrealistic nade spam the flow and gameplay of the map was just beautiful. I think it would be an excellent (but by no means the only) solution. I'd be interested in what others think of this...

Upvote 0