GPU vs CPU physics: would a dev care to comment?

• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
  • Weve updated the Tripwire Privacy Notice under our Policies to be clearer about our use of customer information to come in line with the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) rules that come into force today (25th May 2018). The following are highlights of our changes:

We've incorporated the relevant concepts from the GDPR including joining the EU and Swiss Privacy Shield framework. We've added explanations for why and how Tripwire processes customer data and the types of data that we process, as well as information about your data protection rights.

For more information about our privacy practices, please review the new Privacy Policy found here: https://tripwireinteractive.com/#/privacy-notice

Spank_thru101

FNG / Fresh Meat
Sep 8, 2011
Traditionally hardware physics would allow greater performance over cpu physics (not always though), additional objects within the game world that allow physic interaction (e.g. more debris). Yet, I to see any actual benefit to using to hardware physics: there is no performance increase whether on my 470 or with my 8800gt as a dedicated ppu and there appears to be no increase in objects with which have physics applied to them.

Would a dev care to comment? I am wondering if there is a difference at all, I have tried messing with some of the Physx variable found in .ini files and have come to the conclusion that there is no difference between the CPU and the GPU variations - I merely want to know, because if this is the case than there is no reason for me, and possibly others, to attempt hardware physics when the end results are exactly the same.

=GG= Mr Moe

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 16, 2006
Newton, NJ
Somewhere they did mention that by using hardware physics you will see a slight increase in fps. You will not see anything different visually.

Spank_thru101

FNG / Fresh Meat
Sep 8, 2011
Somewhere they did mention that by using hardware physics you will see a slight increase in fps. You will not see anything different visually.

If anyone happens to stumble on that quote, please post a link. Currently I see a decrease in frames using hardware physics...