• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

GPU vs CPU physics: would a dev care to comment?

Spank_thru101

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 8, 2011
Traditionally hardware physics would allow greater performance over cpu physics (not always though), additional objects within the game world that allow physic interaction (e.g. more debris). Yet, I to see any actual benefit to using to hardware physics: there is no performance increase whether on my 470 or with my 8800gt as a dedicated ppu and there appears to be no increase in objects with which have physics applied to them.

Would a dev care to comment? I am wondering if there is a difference at all, I have tried messing with some of the Physx variable found in .ini files and have come to the conclusion that there is no difference between the CPU and the GPU variations - I merely want to know, because if this is the case than there is no reason for me, and possibly others, to attempt hardware physics when the end results are exactly the same.