• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Gore Level

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're sorry you got annoyed by this, and we will take a more in depth look on the issue.

German version options at the moment:

Kein blut = No blood at all
Blut reduzieren = Blood hit puffs, Blood splatter on walls and players
(unavailable is full gore, which enable dismemberment only)
We are not allowed to show forbidden symbols at any setting in germany as far as im aware.

We have to stick with certain laws, but if we got a part wrong (full gore allowed over 18 for instance), we will try and find a proper solution for it.
We don't want to restrict anything ourselves by choice, if we can allow full gore anywhere and only restrict the symbols, we'd prefer that.

You will not have to trade in your localized version, if we are allowed to change it, it will be changed in your localized version, but please be patient and do not expect a change in this matter instantly.

I hope you can still enjoy the rest of the game.

SasQuatch

Upvote 0
Mike(GER) said:
He TW, i would like to exchange/trade in my localized copy angainst the original !
You have the original, dont you get it?
The version for germany is localized with reduced gore.
This info was available way ahead of the release, you signed and agreed the EULA - you got what you payed for!
Stop complaining now.

Upvote 0
SasQuatch said:
We don't want to restrict anything ourselves by choice, if we can allow full gore anywhere and only restrict the symbols, we'd prefer that.
You will not have to trade in your localized version, if we are allowed to change it, it will be changed in your localized version, but please be patient and do not expect a change in this matter instantly.
This is really nice to hear. :)
As I already said, BiA was allowed to rip of limbs, so this should not be a problem, isn't it?
Thank you, you gave me a bit of my hope back.
phiman said:
why would a blood patch be server sided? i play UT2004 with blood patch, and can still join all servers
Yes, but in ROO(and also ROCA), you were only able to have serverside mods, to prevent cheating.

Upvote 0
SasQuatch said:

Thanks for the kind response. i will be patinet :)

You can bet ! im off exploring it

Regards
Mike

Upvote 0
SasQuatch said:
We have to stick with certain laws, but if we got a part wrong (full gore allowed over 18 for instance), we will try and find a proper solution for it.
Thanks for your reply. :)

My thoughts:
The symbols have to be taken out to be able to sell the game in Germany, that's clear. But full gore should be possible if the game gets an 18+ rating (see BiA). Additionally, once the game is rated it is absolutely impossibile that the game gets indexed afterwards.

For an adult all these restrictions don't apply and you can legally buy imported versions of the games. So if I buy a boxed international version, will it have everything in?

Upvote 0
SheepShaver said:
Thanks for your reply. :)

My thoughts:
The symbols have to be taken out to be able to sell the game in Germany, that's clear. But full gore should be possible if the game gets an 18+ rating (see BiA). Additionally, once the game is rated it is absolutely impossibile that the game gets indexed afterwards.

For an adult all these restrictions don't apply and you can legally buy imported versions of the games. So if I buy a boxed international version, will it have everything in?

Sorry, but no, the boxed version will not get you past this issue atmo. If we are able to change this, we will have to find a legitimate solution for the age rating issues regarding gore in germany.

Upvote 0
SasQuatch said:
Sorry, but no, the boxed version will not get you past this issue atmo. If we are able to change this, we will have to find a legitimate solution for the age rating issues regarding gore in germany.

Ok, so this covers the gore problem.
But what is about the Nazi symbolic.
Since ROO is about realism/simulation I really want it as realistic as it can get.

Upvote 0
step2ice said:
But what is about the Nazi symbolic.
Since ROO is about realism/simulation I really want it as realistic as it can get.
The probelms with nazi symbolic is that it is 'banned' from computergames by law.
But wait, no, it is not 'banned' by law - it is banned by BpJM and USK.
It is true that you are not allowed to show nazi insignia in the public, but you can use them for educational films/books, for example.
And in art. So, in my eyes computergames are art, just like films - but in the eyes of the guys from BpJM, computergames are not art, and so they do not want to see those signs in games. Bring them in, and you have to cut it out or you are not allowed to sell the game in Germany.
We already had a long thread about this ('Problem with RO in Germany?'), and I do not think another discussion would bring something new.
We should stop complaining about it - for the moment...

Upvote 0
SasQuatch said:
We're sorry you got annoyed by this, and we will take a more in depth look on the issue.
That's great to hear! :)

German version options at the moment:

Kein blut = No blood at all
Blut reduzieren = Blood hit puffs, Blood splatter on walls and players
(unavailable is full gore, which enable dismemberment only)
Funny thing is, my whole game is in English anyhow...
Not that I mind though ;)

We are not allowed to show forbidden symbols at any setting in germany as far as im aware.
That is true - for any retail version.
If I buy over the internet from a US-based vendor, US laws aplly, not German ones.
Whether I break any laws by using (playing) this game is none of your business really.
And personally, I don't care about it being illegal or not for me.

Sure thing.
I'm not blaming you or TW for this.
I was just very surprised to find out that an English speaking version of the game bought over the internet at a US-based company via an English version of STEAM restricts itself according the German law.

Understood.
I know how things are with STEAM/Valve and the like from DoD.
I am used to be patient.
It's great to hear such an instant reply btw! :D

Anyhow, I don't want to trade it in anything actually.
A little tip on how to make STEAM/ROOST think I was in a non-German country is enough for me *g*
Doesn't have to be legal or anything (by German law), just PM me if you know.

I got to wonder though what would happen if I moved from Germany (say another EU country, as we can move freely w/o any bureaucracy.
How would STEAM/ROOST detect this change of law and remove the censoring system?
Or is this permanently bound to my account?

What if I was German citizen but bought it in another country?
Would I get it uncensored then?

Definately!
Tanks are a blast, so much better than 3.3
Plus it's running really great on my machine.

It's just that this gore stuff worked perfectly in the Beta so I really got cought by surprise...

Upvote 0
Hmm...

Ok, so the gore may or may not be available for the "german version".
The nazi symbolic won't at all.

Well here you have it.
Thats one point where I hate internet distribution platforms like steam.

Usually I order my copies right from the US and I enjoy the original game like it was meant to be played.

Even with a hard copy we won't be able to.
Thanks to steam we are the idiots now. :rolleyes:

Where are those good old days.

Upvote 0
step2ice said:
Ok, so the gore may or may not be available for the "german version".
The nazi symbolic won't at all.

Well here you have it.
Thats one point where I hate internet distribution platforms like steam.

Usually I order my copies right from the US and I enjoy the original game like it was meant to be played.
Actually this is what I though was the great advantage of Internet Distribution - no more localized game version, everyone gets the same (since they only sell them from the US, regional laws do not apply.

Guess I was wrong. :(

Thing is I have the whole Valve product lineup on STEAM and it's all English and uncut so I would have never assumed it would be different for RO...

Upvote 0
Helmi said:
This annoys me as well.

I bought it over STEAM (which uses the Enghlish interface).
I would assume I'd get an international copy (that which everybody is getting).

This is exactly the reason I would never buy such a game in a (German-based) store.
Ususally, I'd go for a US import version when buying retail, this just seemed unneeded as STEAM is US-based and delivered a completely English-speaking (if I may call it that) game.........*snip*

.....Owning a CC is enough to verify my age (so you don't have to be concerned about minors buying the game over the net).

My only question is:
How does ROOST detect that I am currently playing on a German-based PC?
Would installing an English copy of XP help?
Or is there any country settings I have to change?

As said, STEAM and ROOST are both running in English.

This game strifes for realism (that's why I've been playing since Beat 1.0 of the Mod game!) and I bloody well want my gore and symbols!

^^ what he said...

Not like i was born in the 70`s or bought it with my CC just to get the fullblown version but alas.... :mad:

Upvote 0
SheepShaver said:
It isn't illegal to own and play games with swastikas in Germany. Just the distribution and advertising would be illegal. That's the whole point why you can legally buy imported versions of MoH:AA etc. from dedicated stores.
Yeah, you're right.

I was just saying that I couldn't care less whether I was breaking a law or not. ;P

Anyway, I just did some research and for the German version of UT2k4, you had to replace two files from the English version to patch it to uncut.

Engine.dll
Engine.det

Since those files are also present in the ROOST directory, I'm wondering if replacing them with those form the US version would remedy this problem?

That said, it still needs to be found out how the game determines that you'll get the censored version or not.

CC address?
IP address?
WinXP version?
Language settings?

Upvote 0
Helmi, I'm also german and I am waiting for a mate who lives in the UK to get the game. I'll be asking him to send me some files. And if that won't work I'll get his steam account, download all the files and try if they will work with my steam account.
And at all who asked 'How do they know I live in germany' There was the question 'Do you still live in this country?' And I bet ALL of us germans here pressed 'YES' lol
I also want my gore, but I can live without it till TW solves it or I do it myself :p

Upvote 0
Laurin said:
Helmi, I'm also german and I am waiting for a mate who lives in the UK to get the game. I'll be asking him to send me some files. And if that won't work I'll get his steam account, download all the files and try if they will work with my steam account.​

Ok, great to hear.

If you have any problems getting the files, I can ask some buddies of mine in the US to send the files.

And at all who asked 'How do they know I live in germany' There was the question 'Do you still live in this country?' And I bet ALL of us germans here pressed 'YES' lol​
Ow, fsk!

Of course I did, but only because a good friend of mine reported serious paying troubles with his CC and a probably not exactly typed-in address.
So I made very sure not to make any mistake for the CC billing.

If that's how it works, I'd like to officially announce that I just moved.
Therefore, I demand this option to be unchecked in my profile/settings/whereever it's stored.

A very cheap trick at it IMO.

Next time when asked I'll enter Antigua as my address.
Weather is better over there anyway... ;P

I also want my gore, but I can live without it till TW solves it or I do it myself :p

Of course, I don't mind waiting a week or so, that's not the point.
I'd just like to know that/if there's a way to change this (else I'd have to go for refund an re-register with that box unticked... :rolleyes: )

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.