• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Giant Berlin map - idea

Well, from the mod days there was the Moltke Bridge, and that was going to flow into the train station (is that one of the Platzes you mentioned?). That's another resource that's in that part of Berlin.

If Tripwire's UE3 project really is RO2, which should support seamless interplay between maps, and if current maps can be quickly converted, then if we map every square inch of that area of Berlin now, we can have flowing battles over a many-square mile area for years to come.

Upvote 0
i think a straight copy/paste wouldnt work out to well. Both maps would need adjusting to make em fit eachother from both a visual standpoint and a gameplay perspective, not to mention optimizing it might be a problem (compleatly do-able, but just saying its not just cop/paste)

Yes, I know it's not just a copy/paste manoeuvre. Many things must be changed - homogenize the visuals, new cap zones, optimization and so on.

...But when I play Pariser Platz I really miss that I can't run around the block and toss a grenade down into the F

Upvote 0
i have make pariserplatz! so you give to me dollars :D

technically spoken it can be done, but both maps are already quite big toward RO standards, so you would get a 60 MB map! ( other maps are rarely above 20mb) but it would be quite awesome to play from one map to another.
i started to make the moltke bridge map(what happened before konigsplatz) but Evilhobo told me he was doing it also, so i quit :(

what i always wanted to do is the reichstag battle, make the complete interior of the reichstag!
but im busy with darkest hour mod now!

Upvote 0
FHP pulls it off because he substitues tanks for infantry pulled field guns. It would be VERY hard to make a convincing larger urban combat environment without those guns because they were so important in clearing buildings, espetially in Berlin. Additionally, lots of urban fighting did not take place in the streets because most soldiers didnt have a freeking death wish. Dr Guppy's map does the best job of portraying how dangerous fighting in a street actually is when you have the option of cover in a building.

UE3 is our best hope :)

Upvote 0
I had tried making a map very similiar to like this for COD:UO, than later tried porting it over to COD2...the scale of it would of took me a long time so I just abandoned the project all together... I had built the main-front and side of the Neue Reichskanzlei(almost took me a month to build) and also had made the Fuhrerbunker and Vorbunker, also had started some work on a ruined Berlin street. I have some screen shots hanging around on my computer if anyone is interested in seeing them, i can post them here.

Upvote 0
Hey, me too.

Reichskanzlei1.jpg

I abandoned that project because I knew that no matter what, it would turn in to a terrible map just because it was for COD2. Everyone would pick sniper or something stupid like that.

Upvote 0