• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

getting kicked to windows screen

r5cya

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
San Bruno, California
i'm not sure what's causing it, but i'll be playing the game fine and then all of a sudden i get booted to the windows desktop. seems like any key at all will do it. once it starts happening, it doesn't matter if i use the mouse to get back in the game. next time i touch a key, i'm back at the desktop. really frustrating when you're about to cap something and can't move to even prone. :eek:
i don't really want to set it so i can never minimze the game and go to windows, but i will if needed. any ideas on what i should do to stop this?
thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I get this, too. I think there is a Windows hot-key thing that gets activated when you hit some combination of keys. I can't swear to it but I think the solution is to hit CTRL-WIN and it will deactivate this feature and controls go back to normal.
i'll give that a try. shift and control didn't work. (got that idea from another thread)
the weird thing is, it's doing it in windows after i exit the game as well.

Upvote 0
The windows shift shortcut is activated by pressing the shift key repeatedly in quick succession. If I recall it just needs 5 quick clicks of the key, but just do it sometime when you're on your desktop. It will beep and pop up a window. I haven't done it in a while but I believe under one of the tabs in that window there's a box or two that you need to uncheck.

EDIT:
Here's a link explaining it: http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/wi...le-the-sticky-and-filter-keys-in-windows/3910

Last edited:
Upvote 0
still not sure what causes it but i have figured out hot to get it to stop without rebooting the computer. i just hit ctrl/alt/del and then cancel. that gets control over the keys back. then i just need to maximize ro2 again.
the keys affewcted are e,r,t,u,p,d,f,b,m,space bar,esc,f1,pause/break. holding the shift button will make most of them work till the shift button is released. tand p don't care if the shift button's pushed or not. t brings up the desktop and p brings up some wierd monitor choice.
edit..... think i found the solution. on win7, in all control panel items/ease of access center/setup sticky keys, there's a box to uncheck that will hopefully keep this from ever happening again.

p.s. thanks grim! hitting that key 5 times triggered it. i don't know why it didn't work before. i tried right after you posted that and it didn't work. :confused:

now i need to figure out how to disable the windows key for good. any ideas? i'm on win7 64

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Or get a keyboard that allows you to disable the Windows key with the click of one button. :)

I use the Microsoft Sidewinder X4. At around $50 it's one of the more affordable gaming keyboards out there and it works great, feels right, and looks nice with the lit up keys. :D
thanks for the replies, i really did pop the key off, with a buck knife. :D
i think i'll look into a gaming mouse first and then upgrade the keyboard.

Upvote 0
I have the Logitech G510....a bit expensive, but it has great background-light, and a special switch to disable the Windows-key.
I prefer disabling that key instead of simply removing it, because then I have the choice.
Sometimes, it's the only key that gives me control of Windows again, after an application gives problems.

Last edited:
Upvote 0