• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

German soldiers holding guns while running

SolitarioSoldat

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
USA,Tampa,Florida
Hi,this is not an issue for me at all and really dont care cause I'm not the type of person who splits hair for small things,but I noticed from JG interview on Markee Dragon and while he was playing when he was explaining the way Russians and Germans were trained to hold their weapons while running.

In game I noticed that germans were holding the weapons in 1 hand while running when you look at them,but when he tried to play as a German and he was running with his soldier it was showing that weapon was held with both hands,maeby they left it like that for sort of estetic reasons=looking more appealing in first person view?...

Yeah, a couple of people already noticed this but there hasn't been any official word from the devs.
I'd say it's just as likely that the animation simply wasn't finished at that time as it is likely to look like that for "accessibility's" sake.

Wait until we either see something else in the gameplay vids or we have some official word from TWI. :)

Upvote 0
I don't know if,
but i disagree here: some games are more accessible than RO, but when you sprint in theses games, you barely see your weapon or don't see it at all.

I hope that is a "placeholder" or maybe they haven't the time to realise some new animations :confused:

It doesn't really matter, my point was that we simply shouldn't worry too much about it atm.

Upvote 0
They don't hold their weapons at all :D

rohos-trl-axis-hands2.png

Upvote 0
I just wish they would give them more sprint animations than 1 for each side.
Even if you hold the rifle in one hand, you can do it in different ways.

Right now from what I see in the videos, when a match begins it pretty much looks like a Clone Army because everyone does a synchronized sprint :(
It looks that they all run the same cause Germans were taught to run with weapons in 1 hand while russians holding the weapon in both hands,but I mean what you mean by different types of running,like one soldier runs more tucked down than the others??? I think this sort of implementing will be weird for the devs...

anyways I dont care if when you play on german side you see the weapon being held with both hands when running,it kinda looks better from personal perspective iven though not correct cause every body else on the server will see that you hold the weapon in 1 hand,any ways its spliting hairs and not important to me,just made this post to point it out.

Upvote 0
It's just that the "pumping" of the arms in the animation looks very exaggerated. If you've ever seen footage of German soldiers running with weapons in one had,, they never run like that. In fact, from what I recall, usually the arm carrying the weapon stays relatively still (for obvious reasons. Try running while holding a relatively heavy object in one hand. The easiest way to do this is NOT to swing that heavy object back an forth), while the opposite arm swings about, but not that much. They look more like Olympic sprinters than soldiers in HoS.

I recall the devs saying that the animation was motion captured, to which I can only say that the motion capture model did a poor job. It would look like they did not give the model something heavy to carry (the MG34 weighs 12kg according to wiki), since the player model is visibly unperturbed by having to carry a heavy weapon in one hand.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It looks that they all run the same cause Germans were taught to run with weapons in 1 hand while russians holding the weapon in both hands,but I mean what you mean by different types of running,like one soldier runs more tucked down than the others??? I think this sort of implementing will be weird for the devs...

anyways I dont care if when you play on german side you see the weapon being held with both hands when running,it kinda looks better from personal perspective iven though not correct cause every body else on the server will see that you hold the weapon in 1 hand,any ways its spliting hairs and not important to me,just made this post to point it out.
How would putting that in be weird? You put in 4 or 5 different styles of running for each side and it randomly assigns it either depending on weapon or class or experience...

Reactions: Amerikaner
Upvote 0
How would putting that in be weird? You put in 4 or 5 different styles of running for each side and it randomly assigns it either depending on weapon or class or experience...
If thats what you ment,then I guess the heavier the load is the soldier that carry,the stiffer and unnatural the running should look like cause of the weight he carries.

Upvote 0
I think the point is that if there are 10 guys, even all having the same loadout, they aren't going to run exactly the same way all the time even if they were taught to do the same thing. Recording multiple actors do the run and using all of them would probably make watching groups of soldiers run ingame look more natural. Who knows if this is worth it to the devs considering the budget and time spent implementing it but it would be cool to see.

Upvote 0
I think the point is that if there are 10 guys, even all having the same loadout, they aren't going to run exactly the same way all the time even if they were taught to do the same thing. Recording multiple actors do the run and using all of them would probably make watching groups of soldiers run ingame look more natural. Who knows if this is worth it to the devs considering the budget and time spent implementing it but it would be cool to see.
Well, just get 10 devs to run down the lane. :p

Upvote 0
It's just that the "pumping" of the arms in the animation looks very exaggerated. If you've ever seen footage of German soldiers running with weapons in one had,, they never run like that. In fact, from what I recall, usually the arm carrying the weapon stays relatively still (for obvious reasons. Try running while holding a relatively heavy object in one hand. The easiest way to do this is NOT to swing that heavy object back an forth), while the opposite arm swings about, but not that much. They look more like Olympic sprinters than soldiers in HoS.

I recall the devs saying that the animation was motion captured, to which I can only say that the motion capture model did a poor job. It would look like they did not give the model something heavy to carry (the MG34 weighs 12kg according to wiki), since the player model is visibly unperturbed by having to carry a heavy weapon in one hand.

This.

Upvote 0

I don't know of any games that have variable run animations, and this usually isn't a problem. However, the cartoonyness of the current German sprint animation makes this fact stand out a lot more. When you see 10 guys running in an identical, but natural manner, it doesn't look too weird. When you see 10 Germans sprinting in an identically ridiculous manner, then it's just 10 times as ridiculous.

Upvote 0