• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Gasprices

It's hovering around $1.50 per litre here at the moment, which roughly translates to $6.81 per gallon, adjust that with our dollar being about 10 cents below the USD and you get $7.40 USD per gallon for fuel in Australia.

Stop whining Yanks :p

The real kicker too is that roughly 60% of our fuel price is government excise and tax, pure profiteering, they need to cut back fuel taxes asap. I see things getting worse and worse, it's not just for your car but everything, food will go up due to transport costs etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Europeans can afford it because generally speaking.

Your average European make more money.

And this is all offset by the fact that they get FREE HEALTH CARE.
I would gladly pay $10 per gallon in trade for quality socialized health care.

Like one German doctor here in the U.S. said. Germans are getting a Mercedes
for the price of a VW when it comes to health care. Americans are getting the
exact opposit.

Add to that the fact that since the 1940's it is mostly the U.S. Taxpayer who has
had to fork the bill for the cold war and to help feed the world.

You can't really call us whiners unless you look at the bigger picture.

Gas prices have a direct impact on all aspects of our quality of life.
One thing the rest of the world doesn't realize yet is that when we
start hurting, they will start hurting.

The U.S. GIVES AWAY more money and food than any other country
in the world. When this stops, bad things will start happening.

Honestly though, calling Americans whiners (even jokingly) is a prelude to a thread that will be short lived.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Americans haven't exactly helped themselves here though, how many of the people who drive a huge SUV or something fitted with a V8 really needs to drive something that consumes this much gas? the simple patch here for alot of people would be to downsize their set of wheels.
Granted, this wont exactly help the people who are allready driving something conservative and struggeling to make ends meet, nor thouse who in truth requires an all terrain vehical, but i'd wager that a supricingly large amount of people could solve their money woes by replacing their Dodge with a Honda.

Sure i get it, if i could i would want to drive a cool muscle car too, i'd love to own a Mustang or a Challenger, and i would also enjoy the head room and spaceious boot of an Explorer, granted, but my parking space is occupied by a Saab with a tail hook, because thats what i can afford to drive, you make do.

Besides, just think of how much polution would be reduced if all thouse SUV's where replaced by Stationwagons, remember thouse? family car with room for a family plus baggage? oblong things with 4 wheels? used to be very popular before the SUV? sometimes seen in Dennis The Menace cartoons?

I know alot of yanks will jump all over this post, well feel free, its not my money you're wasting :p

Upvote 0
im a farmer in belgium and we make our own vegetable fuel with rapeseed. only we can never produce enough to get all the cars running on that, not to speak of making our tractors run on it, as they can consume up to one barril of diesel a day.

don't come with the "europeans earn more money" because it's false, there are only 2 or 3 european countries where the average income is bigger than in the US.
and healthcare is NOT free in europe, its payed for by tax money.
compared to europe, the american way of living is rather selfish. they take millions of tons of corn to produce biofuels, it takes 200 kg to make enough biofuel to fill up your gastank once.
the problem is that since 2 -3 years we are consuming more food globally then we produce, and the global strategic food reserves are as good as empty since 2007. anybody noticed the food riots all over the world recently??
the US has already sold all its stocked grains from last year, and its still a few months to the next harvest.
even the UN recently said that biofuels are a crime against most part of the humanity, everytime you fill up your gastank with a biofuel, it makes 200 kg of corn less that goes to 3rd world countries. 200 kg is what can keep alive 1 child for one year...

plus biofuels are everything but good for the planet, transforming agricultural products into biofuels is a process that takes gigantic amounts of energy. to make 100 liters of biofuels, you burn 80 liters of fossile fuel just to produce it. and since there isn"t enough food anymore to feed everybody, and rich countries are using food to make fuel, it makes the food prices explode. but don't worry, we in the rich countries will always have food, only it will be just like our fuel, the price of food will explode in the future, especially meat will become unaffordable.

and gonzoX what you say about america feeding the world is a misinterpretation.
rich countries are exporting their food under it's real value, by giving primes or subsidies to farmers so they can produce food under its real value without going broke.
this makes that food is scandalously cheap compared to before. but also that poor countries especially in africa would rather buy cheap american food, instead of buying it from their own farmers because it's more expensive.
this means that most african countries have become dependant of importation to feed themselves, while they could perfectly produce thier own food before. now there are not enough farmers anymore in africa, and they have lost the know how. so they will need to learn to make their own food again, or they will face worst famina then ever before. a perfect example of " give a man food and he will live one day, learn that man how to make his own food and he will live an entire life.
basically what is presented as a honorable thing, like feeding poor countries, is actually a political and economical maneuvre that has made the situation much worse than it was before.

and thank god that the american economy is down the drain, otherwise the price of fuel would be the double of what it is now. because the price is calculated in dollars, so we can buy a 120 dollar barril for 70 euros's, thats why we "only" pay 8 to 10 dollars a gallon.

Upvote 0
Oh spare me. Most Americans are literally living paycheck to paycheck.

And most of us have been driving fuel efficient 4 cylinder sub-compacts most of our lives here.

The select few here that actually drive a Hummer are one out of a thousand and those are the guys probably working for the oil companies.

You need to come to America to see the reality. Your media would have you believe that we all drive Hummers and wear ten gallon hats.

I was born in Germany and have lived there long enough to see that your average GI's salary is nothing compared to your average west European. Ironically, soldiers are fairly well off here in the USA copared to your average blue collar worker who has to pay for his own housing, health care etc etc. I personally got a nice reality check when I got out of the service and had to pay for everything myself with a lower civilian wage.

And yes, I know you pay taxes for your health care. But compared to what the average American has to pay it is small fries.

They used to call the U.S. the land of Milk and Honey. Now days most of that milk and honey is exported free of charge to poor countries at our expense. So if you think that we are all living it up here in the U.S. then you need a reality check IMHO.

When third world types start starving to death because us Yanks can't afford to give our food away, the world will be a very different place. And it won't be pretty. And it's just a matter of time.

Upvote 0
i do agree that the americans are just like most most of the world population victims of this all. we realised some time ago in europe that america was not that fantastic country they would have us believe. the america we see in hollywood movies, or series like desperate housewives is not what it is really.

but where i think differently is about the outcome of this all.
i say bring on the 300 dollar barrils, and expensive food!!
this time we have no choice anymore, we either improve our ways of living, or the planet will take care of us and whipe away 20% of the world population after the next natural disaster that will destroy food harvests. since there is no food reserve anymore, when there is a disaster many people will simply starve.
but cheap food and fossile fuel are major brakes in the "improvement" of humanity.
once fuel is unaffordable, we will find other sources of energy like forests, the sun, water... AND! importation of cheap stuff from china will be too expensive and the clothes you wear and the TV's you watch will be made in your own country again, and it can only be good for the local economy.
same with food, no more exporting billions of tons to africa and flooding their econmony with cheap food, just like china floods us with cheap crap. the food you eat and milk you drink will be made by the closest farmer to your house, it wont have travellled 1000 miles like it does now.
i think its over with globalisation, back to a more "human" way of living.

Upvote 0
Not meant to knock anyones' posts that I quoted, but this is my point of view

Americans haven't exactly helped themselves here though, how many of the people who drive a huge SUV or something fitted with a V8 really needs to drive something that consumes this much gas? the simple patch here for alot of people would be to downsize their set of wheels.
Granted, this wont exactly help the people who are allready driving something conservative and struggeling to make ends meet, nor thouse who in truth requires an all terrain vehical, but i'd wager that a supricingly large amount of people could solve their money woes by replacing their Dodge with a Honda.
Doesn't have to be a Honda, just not a big oversized SUV. Oh so often I see a tiny little woman with one child driving a huge Chevy Yukon or Ford Excursion. No problem if that is what they want, but they get picked on when they complain about the price of gas :p

Oh spare me. Most Americans are literally living paycheck to paycheck.
I am sure many are, but that is an exaggeration to say most. Most of the people I know are not living paycheck to paycheck (I am probably the worse off out of all the people I know). Of course, I know some people who make 6 figures and spend it like it is in unlimited supply and are sorta living paycheck to paycheck. Those people have to learn how to control their spending and that is THEIR fault....

And most of us have been driving fuel efficient 4 cylinder sub-compacts most of our lives here.
I live in NJ, a big commuting state, and a large number of cars on the road are NOT compacts/subcompacts, and they really should be. There are alot of SUVs, trucks, and midsize cars driving on the highways. I myself drive a 2000 SUV, but only because I bought it used for more than $1000 less than trade-in value and $5000 less than blue book value. And I don't have to commute but 15 minutes one way to work. Admittedly, it was a steal and wonderful buy, but it sucks big time on gas.

The select few here that actually drive a Hummer are one out of a thousand and those are the guys probably working for the oil companies.
I can't believe the number of Hummers I see on the roads these days, although it really isn't alot compared to other cars. Definately more than one out of a thousand (one out of two hundred?)

You need to come to America to see the reality. Your media would have you believe that we all drive Hummers and wear ten gallon hats.
OK, no ten gallon hats :p

And yes, I know you pay taxes for your health care. But compared to what the average American has to pay it is small fries.
Contrary to what the media would like you to believe, I probably know more people who do NOT want socialized medicine as opposed to those who do. And here in NJ, the state will cover you if you and your children do not have health insurance. You must apply of course and the income limit is fairly generous. That is speaking of NJ only of course, I do not know of other states. Of course, NJ taxes suck (2nd worse in the nation) and that is why the states population is actually going down instead of up. Pennsylvania is looking mighty good :p

They used to call the U.S. the land of Milk and Honey. Now days most of that milk and honey is exported free of charge to poor countries at our expense. So if you think that we are all living it up here in the U.S. then you need a reality check IMHO.
Well, I don't live it up myself, I just don't like to spend money much. Some live it up, some really can't, and then there are those who live it up and get in financial trouble because they can't afford to pay off that vacation to Cancun which honestly is their own fault. I probably fall into the I shouldn't live it up category myself.

When third world types start starving to death because us Yanks can't afford to give our food away, the world will be a very different place. And it won't be pretty. And it's just a matter of time.
High oil prices and a bad year for crops overall I have heard will definately contribute to this problem... :(

You can't really call us whiners unless you look at the bigger picture.
Gas prices have a direct impact on all aspects of our quality of life. One thing the rest of the world doesn't realize yet is that when we start hurting, they will start hurting.
Very true, it is a global economy now whether you believe it or not.

i do agree that the americans are just like most most of the world population victims of this all. we realised some time ago in europe that america was not that fantastic country they would have us believe. the america we see in hollywood movies, or series like desperate housewives is not what it is really.
Um, if there are those out there in other countries that believe America is like Hollywood portrays things, or Desperate Housewives, they are not too bright to begin with. :p Seriously, despite what good or bad you may think of us here, it is a wonderful country and alot of it has to do with what you make of it.

but where i think differently is about the outcome of this all. i say bring on the 300 dollar barrils, and expensive food!!
this time we have no choice anymore, we either improve our ways of living, or the planet will take care of us and whipe away 20% of the world population after the next natural disaster that will destroy food harvests. since there is no food reserve anymore, when there is a disaster many people will simply starve.
but cheap food and fossile fuel are major brakes in the "improvement" of humanity. once fuel is unaffordable, we will find other sources of energy like forests, the sun, water... AND! importation of cheap stuff from china will be too expensive and the clothes you wear and the TV's you watch will be made in your own country again, and it can only be good for the local economy.
same with food, no more exporting billions of tons to africa and flooding their econmony with cheap food, just like china floods us with cheap crap. the food you eat and milk you drink will be made by the closest farmer to your house, it wont have travellled 1000 miles like it does now.
i think its over with globalisation, back to a more "human" way of living.
I just generally disagree overall. You don't need to have such ecomonic hardship to cause change, and I also don't fall into the tree-hugger category myself. Also, for the most part, globalization is here and will not really go away.

--------------------------------------

Of course, high gas prices suck, and here in the US we have it good compared to other countries in this regard. Of course, I don't know how much people commute in other (smaller) countries, but where I am from, alot commute big distances. I see the bigger problem here being the higher price of diesal compared to gas.

Also, my comments are not meant to knock those people who are truely in financial trouble due to things beyond their control. And of course, any comments I posted in regards to quotes are hopefully done respectfully :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I just generally disagree overall. You don't need to have such ecomonic hardship to cause change, and I also don't fall into the tree-hugger category myself. Also, for the most part, globalization is here and will not really go away.
causing change will take something big, when you remeber that the by the time pretty much all the important countries of the world were seeing how their kyoto protocol measures were delivering results, the US government thought the time was right to actually admit global warming might actually exist...

Upvote 0
First of all a semi-political discussion :rolleyes:

------------------------------------

Seeing the bigger picture, that is everything what oil is about ...

Oil means cheap energy and nearly everything depends on cheap energy. Remember the steam engine? About two hundred years ago the "cheap energy" was invented. But the biggest drawback of todays ways of producing cheap energy is that we rely on fossil fuels (not only oil). It took the fossil fuels millions of years to develop but mankind can burn them a thousand times faster.

In fifty years all fossil fuels will be GONE, for good, no way of getting them back and the "Oil Age" has ended.
Let's use Uranium instead? No chance, a very limited resource again.

Science has to come up with a substitue for oil ... fast.

Without cheap energy we can't feed 6 billion people, we can't have cars, we can't have internet or light. Just look at the Haber process it is an essential chemical process which leads to the production of fertilizers but boy does that suck an a$$ load of energy. Maybe this planet can't feed 6 billion people but I read recently that it would be possible to feed 12 billion people (!) with the limited resources we have but certainly not without cheap energy.
People will starve and will die but how bad will it hit us? Worse than 1939? Proabably. The world will change, it is changing already, high gas prices are only a sympton of a "bigger picture" an era is ending and what will follow?
Maybe a "better" world or maybe "worse" if (that is possible)

Upvote 0