• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Free Aim

As Alan said the big thing is we don't think it fits. The bandwidth concern is secondary. But I will point out, that bandwidth is probably more of a concern with KF than with RO. With RO, to host 50 players on a server you need a BEAST cpu, and it uses about 7 MB per second of bandwidth. Thus RO isn't really designed to be played on anything but a dedicated server.

Killing Floor is designed so that the average DSL/Cable user can run a listen server out of their home and still have a decent gameplay experience. A lot of DSL/Cable high speed internet companies limit your upload bandwidth to 512kb or even 256 kb. Thats really not a lot to work with. Thus we have to save bandwidth where we can.

thanks, that makes much more sense, but I would stil think that free-aim can be a good thing, I dont really need to see the free-aim of my teammate's models so the server wouldnt have that extra load.

If the main matter is true and you don't see it fitting, well I respect that decision, but I stil don't agree with it

Upvote 0
At this point we probably won't be adding free-aim to KF. Free Aim does make it more challenging to shoot the enemy, and really fits in RO since it is player vs player. With KF being player VS monster, and KF not being as hardcore as RO, it doesn't really seem to fit.
Why not have free aim, but it aims within 15% of the screen instead of 50% like RO?

RO's freeaim put directly into KF would be bad. It's just too.. hardcore hipshoot punishing.
However, there isn't much point in not having a crosshair when someone could put scotchtape on their screen, even if it isn't player vs. player.

I think KF should have a much more forgiving freeaim, were where the gun points only deviates a bit from the center..

In the KF mod, with iron sights, ironsights I don't see how they would be used much without unrealistic conefire reduction bonuses. When you've played KF A while, you get used to where guns shoot even if you don't put tape on your monitor.. Not to mention, it kinda looks cool how the gun moves around.

So I mean.. I'd like to see free-aim, it just be 1/3rd the effect that's in RO. And I say this because I think it'll make KF play better, NOT because it'd make KF more similar to RO.

The dozens of people I've told about this game have been hoping for some free aim too. :(

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I dont understand why peeps still discuss about crosshairs while TWI stated there wont be a game from them that has them...:rolleyes:

Plus...tapeing your screen is just..uhm...odd. :D

its not odd its something a ****load of people will do so they can play better than everyone else because they dont need to aim ever, we need a least some sort of free aim effect on my opinion

Upvote 0
When I've played games with no crosshair, besides RO, I put scotchtape where the bullets go.

Why? Everyone else in the game does it, so it's making it even, not giving me an advantage.

In RO I don't because that doesn't do crap with the freeaim.

I love how RO has realistic ballistics with freeaim instead of just making the cone huge when you're moving. With the freeaim you can learn to use it to hipshoot well while a huge cone to make it inaccurate is just spray and pray.

I just don't see the point in no-crosshair when you don't have freeaim.. You say it doesn't matter if people put tape on their monitor as their crosshair since it's coop and not pvp, so then why remove crosshair in the first place?

Upvote 0
I just don't see the point in no-crosshair when you don't have freeaim.. You say it doesn't matter if people put tape on their monitor as their crosshair since it's coop and not pvp, so then why remove crosshair in the first place?

I think the point is that a crosshair somewhat destroys the immersion. No-one has a crosshair tattooed onto their eyeballs, so why should we see one in-game... It's just unneccessary. KF has so much close-quarters shooting that a crosshair is pointless, and can ruin the atmosphere a bit.

I agree that FreeAim is not necessary in KF. It might be a 'nice to have' but having a ridiculously large number of zombies is more important.

Oh and I'm sorry but whoever plays anything by taping their screen is one big fail.

Upvote 0
And to all the people who say free-aim would be nice haven't played KF mod and then got attacked in the back by a stalker, or even worse, a scrake.

what is wrong with free-aim? can't you hit things with it? free-aim is a matter of skill, is not more dificult than shooting at the center of the screen all the time, as soon as you get used to it, its equally easy, or even more, and feels more natural and adds to the immersion

Upvote 0
And to all the people who say free-aim would be nice haven't played KF mod and then got attacked in the back by a stalker, or even worse, a scrake.

Free aim doesnt mean that your weapon first has to go to the edge of your screen so you can start turning. It just means your weapon turns at a different speed.

So turning 360 degrees takes an equal amount of time with or without free aim (although with free aim you actually kill an enemy behind you earlier because the gun will turn in slightly faster than your body), its just that the weapon doesnt fire dead center like if you turn to the right your weapon moves a bit faster to the right than your screen and stays somewhere on the righter side of your screen. So you need to look at where the barrel is pointing and fire. Instead of knowing exactly where it will hit.

The only thing that free aim will do is make it impossible to put a sticker or dot (or a program that does that) on your screen to get a crosshair. You need to look at where your weapon is pointing for where it will hit, but up to 20 meters everybody can still hit with ease just not exploit.

Upvote 0
Eh? I've played hte KF mod. I think it'd be nice.
Freeaim wouldn't effect you hardly up close, it'd just keep you from sniping stalkers from 300 yards away using bullpup without sights..

I don't think the freeaim should make your weapon move in as big an area of the screen as RO. Just like a 15-20% deviation in any directoin instead of 50% or whatever RO is.

I had just sort of assumed freeaim was going to be in KF.. I completely understand no prone, no moving slow as balls, not bolt action rifles for the majority of players, but I thought freeaim would of been something nice since KF has no crosshair. So I'm quite sad..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I just think Tripwire are right.

If implementing FreeAim will mean reduced numbers of Specimen... then it's not worth it.

KF as a game won't work if there are too few specimen, and one of the biggest attractions of the game is the sheer numbers of them that you have to deal with. That's where a lot of the horror comes from.

Upvote 0
I have a feeling that once the game is out and proves to be awesome, no one will care about this any more.
In the end, I agree here.
But it'll take more than polished mod to make me really like it.
Minus the lack of randomized creep spawn waves and spawning locations and all the bugs, I liked the mod more than l4d.

But besides having something akin to L4D's director AI(which.. i have a feeling they've done by their replies to some posts in ideas, I hope) it's going to need more if it doesn't have freeaim.. like randomized level, and/or the perks system being really nice.

Upvote 0

And to all the people who say free-aim is not necessary are just excusing TWI for not implementing it, or just don't want to see the dangerous curve they are taking to the n00b-friendly zone of games (starting with the RO update in which you auto drop your gun as soon as you try to pick a new one, favouring the newbie players over the old time fans who found that "feature" very frustrating and never got fixed or set to optional)

Too many developers have taken this route and went from hardcore to mainstream, it's too soon to say that TWI is going there, but the first symptoms are showing already

Upvote 0
Meant or not, too harsh or not, but all in all I gotta agree with Federov here. At least in the mod it would have fit just nicely so as a gameplay decision I do not agree that it's better to leave it out.
If it's true that it was necessary to take it out to make the game run more or less lag-free on an average listen server I support the decision though, because that's mandatory for a game like this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There could always be a "hardcore" option for dedicated servers to run like a few said.

And it's not even about being hardcore.. free-aim is just nice, and makes no crosshair not pointless. It doesn't have to be the huge freeaim RO has making you shoot at the corners of your screen, it could just be more slight deviations.

Upvote 0