• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Fix headshot hitboxes!

usbfridge

Sep 26, 2011
As anyone who's play a large amount of time as sharp shooter knows, the headshot hitboxes do not align with the model or animations. For example, you have to shoot at a clots neck, or next to a gorefast's head. Over a stalker, infront of a crawler, to the side of a flesh pound or bloat when they're moving. It's annoying. It kind of takes away from the realism, but it's mainly making it near impossible to level sharp shooter or get a headshot without knowing this, people who have gotten tons of headshots and only a few of them count. I just hope it gets fixed in the next patch about 4-6 months from now. Or, if they suprise everyone, in a soon-to-be recent patch.

Last edited:
As I know, there are only 2 headshot hitbox issues:
1. Stunned Scrake's head is always lowered on server side, even if client sees it raised.
2. After receiving a body shot zeds shake their heads a little bit more than an animation shows. In result it's harder to make fast and precise headshot just after the one you (or your teammate) missed by hitting the body.

First should be fixed. But anyway, now it's much better than it was a long time ago, when Scrake head's hitbox was completely messed.
Second is ok imo. It's your payback for the lack of precision.

Reactions: Lacedaemonius
Upvote 0
I dont have any problems hitting the head at all. even running backwards with a offperked scoped xbow shot :p but again I have about 150-200 hours of sharpshooter gameplay but thats just me in a nutshell :p only times I find it hard to shoot a headshot it is the gorefast or scrake from the side, with a 9mm. but again use a xbow or a handcannon with some penetration and the problem is gone. so I believe there is something, but I couldn't never proove anything since they seems just fine if you run the game while it shows hitboxes.

I would suggest:
try using a aimbot. then use a gun with no penetration. then we will see if there is something wrong with the specimens :)

Upvote 0
The only few times that I know of when the hitboxes are borked would be:

1: Scrakes (of course)
2: Right before/after a FP attacks
3: When a zed is in the air/falling/landing

Otherwise, I have never had trouble with hitboxes besides the occasional unheadshotable bloat.

I've never had trouble headshotting a scrake, and it seems the projectile hitboxes sync pretty well (Hence why the Xbow seems to be very accurate.). I've never noticed that about FPs, but the zed's in the air is well known. Thing is, most of those zeds have thier "Default pose" as thier hitboxes. This would normally be ok, if the zed's animations weren't so different from thier default poses. Clots are lower on thier headshots, so are stalkers. Gorefast's headshot boxes are next to thier actual heads. Crawler's have thier headsot hitboxes infront of the model, so you have to shoot infront of them to headshot them instead of at them. Blots are almost unoticeable unless you try to headshot it on the side, then it's just a miss. The annoying thing about these glitches is not the fact that it's sort of avoidable, but that the areas where thier heads actually are only count as bodyshots.

Upvote 0
Online the hit 'boxes' are approximated since animations aren't synchronized between the server and client. This is something that can't really be changed.
What I was going to say lol. Simple way round it...learn where the head hitbox is and aim there no matter the animation being played. Example, when Siren drops head down, aim at top of head and if she is screaming, aim below the chin...it's not hard.

Upvote 0