• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Do shells Glow?

I would suspect that modern tanks dont have the glowing elements on the shells anymore because most fire SABOT rounds.
Besides, all that high-tech does a good job keeping track of your shots so you won't have to manually correct your aiming, hence you don't even need to see (that's all what tracers are about, detecting ballistic missle curves with your opto-orgianic sensors) the shells.

Upvote 0
yes, but have been all shells in WW2 really tracers?

Sometimes it gets a reall problem, when i try to use a Stug or Su from a covered position, cause ... you know tracers work both ways...

i have some videos, where i see tanks shoting, but its realy very hard to gues from the black-white videos (and some with not that good resolution). I have one file, where you see a panther in a fight with a KV1, 2 shots, i could not see tracers, but as said its hard to tell really. From another video i have a Panther hit 2 or 3 times by pershing (koeln), where you can see tracers. The question is, was it erally that common that near evry shell was one?

I really have no clue ...

Upvote 0
I would suspect that modern tanks dont have the glowing elements on the shells anymore because most fire SABOT rounds.

I'm just speculateing tho, I know next to nothing about tank shells.

While the people over at tank-net.org would be the final authority on it, I don't know of any modern SABOT rounds that don't have a tracer. Neither structure of spin or fin stabilized discarding sabot ammunition would preclude the inclusion of the tracer element.

I'm also not aware of any automatic shot-tracking technology in wide use for AFV's.

Upvote 0
I would imagine that a modern targeting system is advanced to the point where your only job is to make sure that the rounds don't hit a friendly, and press the little red trigger.

Passively tracking a large warm angular object in azimuth is one thing, spotting the fall of a small metal object traveling 1800m/s away from you against a clustered background through 2-3 km of dust and smoke, is another.

Systems like the Phalanx can use its radar to spot its own shells in fight and steer them to an airborne target. Land vehicles don

Upvote 0
What i should have said was that in a MBT, with its targeting system, after you have found your target, a miss can be corrected if that happens.

The only thing actively tracking the shot would be the man who pushed the trigger and is watching it go down range through the optics of the tank.

Yes, although it's often the TC because his sight is typically higher and further away from the muzzle, (and the smoke and dust kicked up from the charge).

Upvote 0
The tracer element is fine, but if I could change one thing about it, it would be to make the tracer visible only to friendly troops, or at least those who are 'behind' the thing. Those getting shot AT shouldn't have the benefit of knowing where the shot is coming from.

Personally I'm of the school of thought that RO tracers are of more benefit to the enemy than they are to you.

Upvote 0
I would imagine that a modern targeting system is advanced to the point where your only job is to make sure that the rounds don't hit a friendly, and press the little red trigger.

My Mrs was working for a defence company here that produces ballistic detection devices for afv/apc's

Basically it gives you an exact angle and attempts to trace back a trajectory on any incoming (rather than tracing the vehicle's fired munitions).

Pretty neat device to have: if you survive the incoming you get a lock on the firer.

Dunno how successful this equipment was - judging by the chief engineer's drinking habits it's prolly still in alpha phase. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0