• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

DEMO's Turn For Upgrade

Weaker M32 to replace M79? Would 1-shots crawlers and stalkers, clots would take 1 or 2 hits (maybe 1 hit with bodyshots, 2 with AoE). Set mag size and reload speed accordingly to make it useful but still balanced. Preferably 2 blocks heavier than M79 to not allow carrying mk23. IMO demo has always needed this so he can kill those annoying lonely trash zeds with cool on-perk weapons.

That is a good and fresh suggestion for demo On-perk weapons.
Why not a On-perk sidearm for demo (2,3 blocks). (Example Flare revolver). Using the same pistol sharp off-perk in almost all loadouts, (I do not, i prefer 44 magnum). It should be a refreshing and cool Add-on to Demolitions perk.

Upvote 0
I never saw the point of explosive ammunition in the game.

a) Either it'd just deal a bonus damage, in which case you might as well just have a higher damage value.
b) Explosive bullets will mainly deal light tissue damage / morale damage to the enemy. Neither of which will affect the zeds very much.
c) Or, you make the explosive effect excessively large, in which case it becomes unrealistic and quite probably overpowered.

Personally I feel the demo doesn't have much room for upgrades. Perhaps a "sticky" grenade or remote detonated device. The ability to pick up and reset pipe bombs would have its uses. I suggested the aa12 with explosive rounds , in that it would allow demo to engage at closer ranges. Explosive rounds can cause knock back and/or stun effect on zeds. It would add weapon versatility and functionality, unlike the
Spoiler!
commando.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
*reads OP post*
wat? I don't even...

The only solid idea in this thread is RPG-7. That thing should be weight like 10 blocks alone or so, allows you to carry a small sidearm (MK23, Flare Revolver, .44 Magnum) next to it with pipes.

I still would like to get a small buff to the M4/M203 like grenade capacity increased within' perk level just like L.A.W. Starts with 10 or so, grenades and climb ups to 24 total for a lvl6.

I'll repeat here too, M4/M203 needs better and higher bullet damage (preferably 41 dmg per bullet, to take out a crawler with a single burst fire) while scoped M4 needs pierce ability (add a silencer to it?).

Upvote 0
naksiloth said:
while scoped M4 needs pierce ability (add a silencer to it?)

I'm pretty sure adding a silencer to a weapon actually reduces its penetration abilities since the silencer slows the bullet to subsonic speeds. It definitely reduces the amount of noise but it means the bullet also doesn't hit as hard and the effective range of the bullet is also reduced.

But then again, that's the real world we're talking about. In the world of KF, shotguns penetrate through targets way better than assault rifles do. Even pistols penetrate better.

Upvote 0
Well I've heard people say that modern suppressors somehow increase muzzle velocity.
While I've heard of something called freebore boost, it only happens with particular suppressors so the whole idea seems like wishful thinking to me.
Has grown in popularity though.

What? The only thing I can think of is that adding silencer would very slightly increase the recoil of the weapon as the escaping gases would be muffled and have a harder time escaping the weapon's end. The louder the weapon, the more gas being released on firing. Then again I wouldn't know the exact details, silencer/suppressor mechanics are these days buried in gamer nerd lore so real mechanics and gamer nerd mechanics have been mixed in places.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I just mentioned silencers for the sake of M4 being a lil' bit different than the other counterpart; a penetrating but less damage version of the demolition expert one. Also yeah, even pistols penetrate stuff better. But still I've been reading articles and gun forum comments about modern silencers increasing penetration of bullets at certain rifles. It's still a game where you can jump shot with a Hunting Shotgun/M99/Grenade Launchers, dual wield Handcannons/Magnums... Besides pistols and shotguns pierce everything with ease unlike an assault rifle or battle rifle.

(Btw I still think MK23 pierce should be removed and should stay at .44 and Handcannon.)

Upvote 0
I love Demo and honestly think upgrading the perk doesn't require any additional weapons (at all).

These are just random ideas off the top of my head on lunch break:

* Increase max frag nades from 11 to 15 at level 6 (I don't see why the Demolition perk should have any equal in the max amount they carry and adding a handful more nades shouldn't have any substantial impact to inventory weight or game balance)

More nades to stack with M79/M32 shots would be a subtle buff to the perk in my opinion and subtle is sufficient I think

* As others have stated several times on this board the M4 needs some serious retweaking; at the very least a few more nades would be nice but if this could go along with a marginal increase to bullet damage that would be ideal (I believe it was suggested to increase the damage to the point you can one shot a crawler on HOE difficulty - sounds good to me)

* Law, I'm sure this will not be received by others as a good idea but I would like to believe the Demo would be more skilled with this weapon than the other perks and therefore be able to reload it slightly quicker (same can be said for any of the weapons involving a need to reload nade ammo - but NOT the bullets on the M4). Other than that I don't really have a complaint regarding the ammo capacity on this particular weapon, but I'd welcome 3 or 4 more rockets anytime. :~)

Upvote 0
infntnub said:
(I believe it was suggested to increase the damage to the point you can one shot a crawler on HOE difficulty - sounds good to me)

Actually, that was a suggestion for the Handcannon. If they did that to the M4, it would be an increase from 35 to 122 damage per shot which would make the M4 really overpowered.

I agree the grenade capacity for the M4 M203 should be increased. Maybe to 18 or 20. As for the bullet damage, maybe buff it up to 45. Then it could decap all the trash with one headshot. Recoil should also be slightly reduced or have the M4 shoot in 3 round bursts instead of full auto. Then I think the M4 M203 would be worth using.

Upvote 0
Actually, that was a suggestion for the Handcannon. If they did that to the M4, it would be an increase from 35 to 122 damage per shot which would make the M4 really overpowered.

I agree the grenade capacity for the M4 M203 should be increased. Maybe to 18 or 20. As for the bullet damage, maybe buff it up to 45. Then it could decap all the trash with one headshot. Recoil should also be slightly reduced or have the M4 shoot in 3 round bursts instead of full auto. Then I think the M4 M203 would be worth using.

If you aren't going for headshots with the M4, you aren't using it right.

Upvote 0
The idea with M4/M203 is making it burst fire only and increasing its bullet damage to 41 from 35, so; a single burst fire will take out a Crawler even on HoE when all bullets connect. My idea on scoped M4 is allowing it to pierce one or two targets with a damage fall. As a lvl6 Commando, it will hit around 52 damage per bullet, but M4/M203 bullet damage will stay stable.

I also think that SCARMk17 and FNFAL should pierce targets too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Personally I feel the demo doesn't have much room for upgrades. Perhaps a "sticky" grenade or remote detonated device. The ability to pick up and reset pipe bombs would have its uses. I suggested the aa12 with explosive rounds , in that it would allow demo to engage at closer ranges. Explosive rounds can cause knock back and/or stun effect on zeds. It would add weapon versatility and functionality...

Did you suggest this? Or did you see it and bring it up? Cause that isn't your idea. Modded servers that I play on already have:

Explosive Xbow, (super fun weapon, explodes on a 2 second delay of leaving the bow giving it a maximum range as well as delay within maximum range.)
Explosive AA12 (fires ONE aa12 round that knockbacks and deals damage, hold 15 per clip),
C4 (remote det bombs that deal massive damage),
"new" launchers (MS25, RL that holds 4 rockets per clip that deal moderate damage, takes 2 rockets to deal with gores at lower levels, 2 for sirens at higher levels, long RL) (WTF Launchers are interesting in any game)
interesting effects on WTF M32 (deals more damage, less splash),
WTF M79 (fires a cluster bomb that explodes twice on delay).
A Demo magnum/revolver (6 shots) that fires one high-damage, insane recoil round with no splash, based on headshot damage. (Basically just deals "demo damage" without the characteristic explosions and whatnot. Boring, but the recoil and animations is cool)
Banhammer (Axe with a C4 taped on, when you whack with it, you deal very high damage to everything around you and yourself. Actually pipebomb damage, but it'd have to be modded for use for vanilla zeds. Because primary leaves you with a stub at the end, altfire brings up a new axe with another C4 taped on)
Self-Destruct, which would be OP in vanilla. (Melee weapon skinned as a red pipe bomb with skulls on it. When you throw it down, a pipebomb explosion dets around you and everything not Patty dies instantly. Including the user. Patty and Jr. Patty takes only 3000 damage)

There are other things that have been taken out as well, such as demo Flamethrowers (almost like a full auto chaingun of M32 nades) because they caused the server to lag, caused incessant noise/smoke, and otherwise didn't promote a fun experience for the players.

The M4203 was modded for that server, but I don't want to bore you with the details of that. I hate that weapon anyways.

Upvote 0
I played my Demo for the first time in a few months (at least 4..) over the weekend and I go back to one of my suggestions -> you want to buff up Demo but not make it OP? Just give him/her another handful of frag nades and the work is done.

This belief may be partly due to the fact I favor a loadout featuring both M79s and love throwing a nade into groups of incoming zeds prior to unleashing my M79 rounds... but regardless, I think it would go a long way to giving the perk just a slight bump in damage potential.

The more I think about it, adjusting the M4 is probably something that falls more into the category of weapon rebalancing/retweaking more than upgrading the Demo. I'd still like to see this done but I no longer see it having a place in this category.

Upvote 0
I played my Demo for the first time in a few months (at least 4..) over the weekend and I go back to one of my suggestions -> you want to buff up Demo but not make it OP? Just give him/her another handful of frag nades and the work is done.

This belief may be partly due to the fact I favor a loadout featuring both M79s and love throwing a nade into groups of incoming zeds prior to unleashing my M79 rounds... but regardless, I think it would go a long way to giving the perk just a slight bump in damage potential.

The more I think about it, adjusting the M4 is probably something that falls more into the category of weapon rebalancing/retweaking more than upgrading the Demo. I'd still like to see this done but I no longer see it having a place in this category.

The M4 203 is literally a demo weapon. Seeing that it is so expensive only the demo can even afford it and the M4 203 for its outrageous price, outright sucks.

Upvote 0