• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Demolitions weapon idea!

Aze

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 19, 2010
Ok, this is quite the weird suggestion for a Demolitions weapon but i present to you:

The GIB Launcher!
GIB stands for Grappling Impact Bomb. What's so special about this weapon? Well, as you might know about most other explosives in this game, if you shoot them too close to a target, they will instead only deal "impact" damage and not detonate. This weapon however, ALWAYS deals impact damage as well as, after a short amount of time or upon manual detonation, explode just like any other explosive. Think of it as a literal sticky bomb or grenade, but the reason it is "sticky" (and also why it always deals "impact" damage) is because it has multiple blades in its front (formed like a bullet-tip perhaps?) which slices in to the victim (or wall/floor) and then it goes kaboom! :)

Some proposed stats for it:

Name: GIB Launcher
Weight: 6
Cost: 2000
Ammo in mag: 3 or 4 (depending on the damage)
Total ammo: 24-ish
Ammo cost: 50 ish per mag (3 or 4 bombs)
Reloading: Slow, and with a big magazine.
Impact damage: 100 to 200 (200 is the same as other explosives)(should it scale with Demolitions level? It could at least grant damage-experience, to promote aiming on targets for maximum damage?)
Impact headshot multiplier: Same as other explosives (Is that 1.1x or 2x?)
Explosive damage: 225 to 350 (350 is like other launcher grenades)
Explosive radius: Same as launcher grenades (?)
Detonation time: 2 or 3 seconds after impact, or manual detonation (secondary fire) or triggered by other nearby explosives (just like handgrenades)
Rate of fire: Slower than the M32, but fast enough to launch 2 (or 3) bombs away before the time goes up for the first launched bomb to detonate. Maybe it could be a pump action weapon or something like that?
Stickyness: Sticks to any enemy or to any surface, but goes straight through friendly players (like handgrenades/LAW rockets do now)
Arc: Unsure about this one. It could be like a rocket where it is launched with an engine and goes straight forward until any impact is done, or launched like a grenade. Personally i like the "straight rocket" style. Fits better imo.
Travel speed: I was thinking that the bomb could be the slowest travelling explosive too, so you could "skillexplode" it by yourself with its manual explosion midair. For example, if you miss a shot against a group of enemies, and you want to hurt/kill them, detonate it to the side of the group and you will hit all of them!

Primary Fire: Launch a GIB
Secondary: Detonate all GIBs
Ironsight: Ironsight :p

Other notes: If you kill a specimen with the impact damage, the bomb will still stick onto its body. This means that specimen will just walk over its dead corpse, which might gather them nicely around it for maximum explosive niceness :cool:

Its strengths are quite apparent with its tactical and delayable explosion and high damage upon a single foe due to its dual damage. For example, if both the impact damage and explosive damage scaled with demolitions level, a bodyshot + explosion on a Siren instakills it! It can also be, if wanted, be exploded prematurely (don't laugh -.-) midair if that is your wish, by detonating it manually with secondary fire.
Its weaknesses are also not too nice though. Since there is no minimum safety range for the weapon, it will be very bad against charging enemies like Gorefasts and Scrakes, more so Scrakes (as the Gorefast might get stunned by the impact), which leave you vulnerable to the detonation yourself. This can also be a planned advantage: Kill a specimen nearby and the other specimen trying to follow you when you run away will walk over its body and so on.
Sirens are even more of a ***** to this weapon though, if you don't have the time to let it explode or forget to manually detonate it with a Siren present, as she will most obviously detonate it with her annoying anti-explosive scream. Engage them from long distances if you can, to make sure she can't remove it!

What you guys think about this weapon? :eek:

Last edited:
can you draw a picture of it?
Ehmm... i suck at that :eek:
I mean, i would have to resort to using paint xD

Well, i spent a few minutes making 2 different types.

NOTE: This is not how i pictured it (since it doesn't exist IRL), it was just to have SOMETHING to look at xD

Version 1
Spoiler!

Version 2
Spoiler!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I thought for a second that GIB launcher would launch... gibs :D

Like, there should be some kind of funnel at the top in which you put limbs and other chunks of specimen and it launches them with great velocity right in the faces of other zeds :cool:

_______

But seriously, the weapon you described sounds like ESG (explosive spike gun), that originates from Quake 2 mod called 'Awakening'. Its projectiles were, well, exploding spikes. They could stuck in any surface they hit and exploded after about 2 seconds, dealing moderate splash damage. If they hit an enemy player/monster they exploded after 2 seconds in his guts, dealing massive amount of damage, and probably turning him into a cloud of red mist.

The weapon could soot 3 spikes in rapid succession before cooldown/reload. You could actually make a little mined path with them for players chasing you to step on. I tell you, it was so fun...

I liked the weapon idea so much, I featured it in my Quake 4 mod, where it would replace railgun. Good times. Some footage is still available on youtube, but the video is rather poor quality:

Ulfr's Amoq4 Quake 4 mod (LAWteam) - YouTube

I'd love to see such gun in KF, for the sheer fun factor it brings.

Upvote 0
Love the idea but the only reservation I have is, the dev's removed the ability for crossbow bolts to stick to enemies during net play, so for this to be a sticky bomb would be a ***** to code.

Not sure how would it would affect memory usage also but I am sure someone out there will find a way to get it working.

here you go:

Code:
simulated function ProcessTouch( actor Other, vector HitLocation )
{

Local Vector X;

if( Other == Instigator || Other == none || KFBulletWhipAttachment(Other)!=None )
    {
        return;
    }

if (ExtendedZCollision(Other) != none)
        Other = Other.Base;

X =  Vector(Rotation);

Stick(Other,HitLocation);

}

simulated function Stick(actor HitActor, vector HitLocation)
{
    local name NearestBone;
    local float dist;

SetPhysics(PHYS_None);

if (pawn(HitActor) != none)
    {
        NearestBone = GetClosestBone(HitLocation, HitLocation, dist , 'CHR_Spine2' , 1 );
        HitActor.AttachToBone(self,NearestBone);
    }
    else SetBase(HitActor);

}

Reactions: braindead
Upvote 0
I thought for a second that GIB launcher would launch... gibs :D

Like, there should be some kind of funnel at the top in which you put limbs and other chunks of specimen and it launches them with great velocity right in the faces of other zeds :cool:
This was partly why i named the weapon with "GIB" in it (had other name ideas, but GIB was the funniest pun i could think of :D) ^^

But seriously, the weapon you described sounds like ESG (explosive spike gun), that originates from Quake 2 mod called 'Awakening'. Its projectiles were, well, exploding spikes. They could stuck in any surface they hit and exploded after about 2 seconds, dealing moderate splash damage. If they hit an enemy player/monster they exploded after 2 seconds in his guts, dealing massive amount of damage, and probably turning him into a cloud of red mist.

The weapon could soot 3 spikes in rapid succession before cooldown/reload. You could actually make a little mined path with them for players chasing you to step on. I tell you, it was so fun...

I liked the weapon idea so much, I featured it in my Quake 4 mod, where it would replace railgun. Good times. Some footage is still available on youtube, but the video is rather poor quality:

Ulfr's Amoq4 Quake 4 mod (LAWteam) - YouTube

I'd love to see such gun in KF, for the sheer fun factor it brings.
That's close enough to how i thought how it could work, except that if you shoot a target, not only that target will suffer the explosive damage, but all targets in the area, just like if you hit a wall etc. But i guess you understood that ;)

I was thinking that this would launch miniature Gibbies. I was wrong. :(
Naww, im so sorry ;)

It sounds fun. It's sort of like a mini-pipebomb with a little delay that can be stuck to targets, isn't it? It could work out.
Exactly.

And for for a possible tertiary fire mode, it would launch a single Level 10 GIBBS.

xlkpp5.jpg
Way too overpowered :D

And thanks everyone for supporting it ^_^

Upvote 0