• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Declining number of populated Classic servers. Bots everywhere.. What now?

I didn't quite get what you're saying, but I am against spawn on SL. So I was talking about a <different> kind of bonus.

If you was talking about bonus in point, bonus in point will not solve problem.

So I was talking about a <different> kind of bonus. For example: respawn time. (don't make it shorter but make it longer if not dying with close to your SL). Or how about: the amount of nades you spawn with is less when not dying close to your SL. Just some examples...

proud God, are you talking about a link betwen respawn and initial ammo supply ?

Upvote 0
proud God, are you talking about a link betwen respawn and initial ammo supply ?

Hmm, well, for example:

If you die closer than 'x' metres to your SL:
- Respawn time normal (in the wave, on the normal static spawn points)
- spawn with normal amount of nades

If not:
- You do not join the current spawn wave, you always spawn at max. respawn time (on the normal static spawn points)
- spawn with 1 less nade

Just an example but I think the above with really boost squad play, an no <magic> (like current spawn on SL) is needed :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
With the way the feature works at the moment, I understand completely where you're coming from.

Its a feature that needs some serious tweaking for the benefit of realism players and classic players alike, the ones who would like to see an improved version of it anyway. i.e Fixed spawn points with cooldowns.

edit: In fact, the whole squad system needs to be reworked. Cocaine really hit the nail on the head with that one.

I think a lot of people on these forums are making a conscious effort to improve RO2, regardless of the modes we're all playing at the moment.

Well exactly. A good squad just looks different to what we have now. That starts with the role selection screen which should be the squad selection screen first. And yes I would just like to improve the game. I am not here to insult people.

But how to improve spawn on SL to prevent these silly moments? Cooldowns will reduce them but not solve the issue. I also think that in order to prevent spawn spamming there should be a limit on the spawns on SL for example or only being able to spawn on SL when he is in cover. Maybe extend the spawntime if you die too often within a given time. Maybe in combination with spawn points set by the SL. It is tricky though.

Upvote 0
I may have been somewhat unclear in my initial suggestion so here's more concise version

- Squad leaders will place FOBs on the map. The restrictions on where they can be placed needs to be tweaked

-these FOBs can be destroyed or "overrun" when there are X amount of enemies in the vicinity

-Squad members will only spawn together on the placed FOBs, and their spawn queues are tied to each other

- equipment allocation would be decided by the commander. For example a squad leader that wants to equip his squad as an LMG squad would have to request it, if the commander agrees then his squad is allocated X number of LMGs. Specialized weapons like LMGs, semi autos, SMGs, assault rifles, sniper rifles are limited in quantity, so the only way to use these weapons (other than picking them off dead people) is to join the appropriate squad.

Upvote 0
I think the new aiming system will be a great change to Classic. I don't know how it will interact with increased movement speed, but it seems like a very smart development.

Classic is the only mode where I see actual firefights that are comparable to those we had in RO/DH, and even then they tend to be pretty abrupt and simple.

Upvote 0
Well exactly. A good squad just looks different to what we have now. That starts with the role selection screen which should be the squad selection screen first. And yes I would just like to improve the game. I am not here to insult people.

But how to improve spawn on SL to prevent these silly moments? Cooldowns will reduce them but not solve the issue. I also think that in order to prevent spawn spamming there should be a limit on the spawns on SL for example or only being able to spawn on SL when he is in cover. Maybe extend the spawntime if you die too often within a given time. Maybe in combination with spawn points set by the SL. It is tricky though.

I think TWI should take a page from BF2's book. If I remember correctly, you choose your class and then you're forced into choosing which squad you are in, if you aren't a squad leader of course. Squads will have a limited amount of slots but no limits on what classes can join. You can have an entire squad of LMGs for instance. Well not an entire squad, but you know what I mean.

I'm opting for a complete removal of spawning on squad leaders in exchange for temporary rally points that stay up for 1 or 2 minutes, which suffer from a cooldown after they've been used up. These will be tied to squads of course. Project Reality had a system exactly like this.

There should be limitations though. You can't place them too close to an enemy position. They can get overrun if enemies catch wind of it and swarm the area surrounding the rally point etc etc.

equipment allocation would be decided by the commander. For example a squad leader that wants to equip his squad as an LMG squad would have to request it, if the commander agrees then his squad is allocated X number of LMGs. Specialized weapons like LMGs, semi autos, SMGs, assault rifles, sniper rifles are limited in quantity, so the only way to use these weapons (other than picking them off dead people) is to join the appropriate squad.

I think this might over complicate things a little.

- Squad leaders will place FOBs on the map. The restrictions on where they can be placed needs to be tweaked

I'm guessing these FOBs aren't going to share the same traits as the ones in PR, because that would add a lot of problems. In maps as small as the ones we have now, FOBs would turn into mini fortresses, even if its just one squad spawning on it. FOBs stay up indefinitely, which means that the enemy actually has to go out of their way to destroy the thing because an endless stream of enemies would come pouring out of it.

A small, temporary rally point which can still be overrun or destroyed would make things fairer. For the squad that uses it and the people tasked with finding and destroying it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think TWI should take a page from BF2's book. If I remember correctly, you choose your class and then you're forced into choosing which squad you are in, if you aren't a squad leader of course. Squads will have a limited amount of slots but no limits on what classes can join. You can have an entire squad of LMGs for instance. Well not an entire squad, but you know what I mean.

That's almost exactly what I suggested here: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showpost.php?p=1231198&postcount=2
My other post: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showpost.php?p=1231209&postcount=4

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
BF2 used a system exactly like this. And even though the game wasn't anywhere near as hardcore teamwork orientated as PR you could still operate at a squad level and have a rewarding time doing so.

I still hope Tripwire takes this into consideration. If I were a modder, this would be the first thing I would change. Would anybody else mind trying their hand at something like this? ;)

Upvote 0
Aw man, there's been numerous threads and suggestions on how to change the squad system for the better over the past couple of years (yours included) and when the optimal time came around with the RS release, TWI still failed to change anything, even to simply change the default loadout screen to the squad screen instead of the role screen.

I can't foresee anything changing unless a modder does it and unfortunately, the pool of available modders seems small.

Upvote 0
It still doesn't really solve the issue with people appearing out of nowhere. I'm sure you've seen it happen, it looks ridiculous. You're looking at something, and literally out of nowhere an enemy appears in your view, like a hallucination. A hallucination that can kill you, but can't be killed.

Maybe it's some kind of subliminal message... "Don't do drugs!" :p

Upvote 0
Hmm, well, for example:

If not:
- You do not join the current spawn wave, you always spawn at max. respawn time (on the normal static spawn points)
- spawn with 1 less nade

Just an example but I think the above with really boost squad play, an no <magic> (like current spawn on SL) is needed :)

That's too extreme in my honest opinion. It's still a game after all and enforcing people to play it one way may not be fun enough to everyone. They have to reward people playing more tactically and in a more organized fashion but it's not right to punish them for not doing so (except for disruptive behavior but that's another subject). We are talking about pubs here, teamwork is possible but just to a certain degree.

Upvote 0
Hmm, well, for example:

If not:
- spawn with 1 less nade

I think that might be a little too draconian.

Upvote 0
That's too extreme in my honest opinion.

I think that might be a little too draconian.

Probably. You can easily rewrite that so that not dying close your SL is the normal case with no penalities, and dying close to your SL provides a small bonus (eg. spawn with +1 nade, ...).
This thing would be a server option that could work with or without spawn on SL...

Upvote 0
Let's face it, in addressing design uncertainties by implementing 2 differently-flawed modes, TWI not also broke the game, they broke the community. The game is beyond repair at this point; not because obvious solutions aren't available, but because TWI won't bother to implement them, and the community is too fractured. Even if someone implemented all these fixes as a mod package, it'd be almost impossible to populate servers around it.

Just to run through the laundry list:

- broken sprint physics
- broken squad system
- casual rifle recoil
- arcade SMG balance
- broken zoom/fov system
- no 3D VOIP and thus, broken teamwork
- 3 different retarded modes
- progression system/stat bonuses/prototypes

Probably the worst part is that by splintering the community, TWI has inadvertently ensured that fans are too busy arguing Casual vs. Realism to realize the obvious solutions to all these problems which both modes fail to provide. I'm pretty much positive, that barring n00bs who still want to level ground for bonuses, these problems could all be fixed in a way that satisfies everyone, but the community is too busy arguing the wrong points to realize it.

TWI may be attempting some improvements to Classic, but it really can't possibly enough to change things. TWI have failed to actually acknowledge all the issues and state proper solutions; they've just asked the community for suggestions, which means the results will be an incomplete compromise at best. And even if the new Classic mode were perfect, the community is so fractured that it'd still fail to maintain populated servers.

Honestly I'm just tired to sitting around waiting for things to improve. All we can do is move on to other things and hope that by the time TWI releases RO3, they realize the error of their ways. (yeah right) In any case, I've got better things to do than keep trying to join empty servers, and have the same tired, circular debates in the suggestions forums over and over and over.

Upvote 0