• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO2 Death Moans

Hi every one, just thort of making this before the new update (Brewing) will come out and hopefully you guys could fix this problem. the game now is missing hits very hard core feel such as the death moans of previous and early versions of ro2, we this twi has disabled the sounds for public votes but I dont no. hopefully you guys read this and agree on this as much as I do hand get this feature back in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faGZrfShais

Ok this vid, the guy that made this is soo good he found all the death moans and put them back in this mutator THIS IS WHAT RE REMEMBER WHEN I FIRST STARTED PLAYING RO2, you guys need to have a look at this. and you also bleed out for longer while crying for your mummy :(

No why should I we are all compassionate about this topic we want it back of the vanilla stage, just miss the moments when your mate cries for his mum when he got shot

In one of the last patches, TW said they implemented a lot of the old sounds back into the game, along with a bunch of "lost" ones or something like that, and we were supposed to hear a lot more stuff, but I haven't noticed much of a change.

I know in the RO2 SP Campaign, they're all still there and work just fine.... even the good old throat gurggle is still there.

They also said the bots would be made a lot better and smarter.... to the point of them being able to toss grenades, but I haven't seen this materialize online or offline either..... in fact, since RS came out, the bots have been a bit more dumb.

the "Move Here" command used to work wonders, but now the bots take that command a bit too literally and they all move to the exact same spot you pointed to and just bunch up on each other.
D2D2A0A91BA1F57FDD0244FB627D0A9287CE2F87

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In one of the last patches, TW said they implemented a lot of the old sounds back into the game, along with a bunch of "lost" ones or something like that, and we were supposed to hear a lot more stuff, but I haven't noticed much of a change.

I know in the RO2 SP Campaign, they're all still there and work just fine.... even the good old throat gurggle is still there.

They also said the bots would be made a lot better and smarter.... to the point of them being able to toss grenades, but I haven't seen this materialize online or offline either..... in fact, since RS came out, the bots have been a bit more dumb.

the "Move Here" command used to work wonders, but now the bots take that command a bit too literally and they all move to the exact same spot you pointed to and just bunch up on each other.

Exactly my point man can we send this to the devs and tell them how much we feel about this

Upvote 0

D2D2A0A91BA1F57FDD0244FB627D0A9287CE2F87

Heres a vid on what i mean again https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57mICfWeAVg

SKIP TO 3:20

Upvote 0
I think all of the death moans are in the game now..at least in RO2. For both english and native voices. Two things I do notice though is that the "death-animations" are significantly shorter than in the Beta and often stop before the death-sound is fully played. The other thing is that the screwed up voices for the Japanese Team in RS are still not fixed and by that I mean doubling voices and a lot of missing voice-files.

Upvote 0
I've asked QA to look into this.

Yoshiro, I can tell you from what I've done with my mod what the problem is.

You can take a look in the AUD_VOX_Chatter_GerNative_01 ,..02 etc. packages in the SDK and you can find a number of SoundCues labeled as follows:

DMG_INF_DyingFast_NOR_Cue
DMG_INF_DyingSlow_Heart_NOR_Cue
DMG_INF_DyingSlow_Neck_NOR_Cue
DMG_INF_DyingSlow_NOR_Cue
DMG_INF_DyingSlow_Stomach_NOR_Cue
DMG_INF_SlowDying_HER_Cue
DMG_INF_SlowDying_NOR_Cue

Each voice package has these cues, one for each voice actor. They contain ALL the death sounds, including the unused ones.

Now, I will describe how these sounds are used and why most are not used.

This is the HandleDeathShot function from ROPawn.uc:

Code:
function HandleDeathShot(EHitZoneType HitZoneType, name ZoneName)
{
	// If we've already taken a worse hit, ignore this hit
	if ( DeathHitZoneType > HitZoneType )
	{
		return;
	}

if ( HitZoneType == HZT_Critical && CanEnterSlowDeath() && FRand() > 0.33 )
	{
		// Store the HitZoneType that killed us(must be done BEFORE entering Slowly Dying state)
		DeathHitZoneType = HitZoneType;

// Send them into a Slow Death state instead of normal death
		ClientSlowlyDying(DeathHitZoneType);
		GotoState('SlowlyDying');
	}
	// If this hit is in a Lethal or Critical Zone and we're not already SlowlyDying
	else if ( HitZoneType == HZT_Lethal && CanEnterSlowDeath() && FRand() > 0.66 )
	{
		// Store the HitZoneType that killed us(must be done BEFORE entering Slowly Dying state)

// Send them into a Slow Death state instead of normal death
		ClientSlowlyDying(DeathHitZoneType);
		GotoState('SlowlyDying');
	}
	//Otherwise, if this is an Instant Death shot(or a second Lethal shot)
	else if ( HitZoneType == HZT_InstantDeath || (HitZoneType == HZT_Lethal && DeathHitZoneType == HZT_Lethal))
	{
		// If this Pawn is controlled by a Player(not a Bot)
		if ( ROPlayerController(Controller) != none )
		{
			// Do the instant death fade for the first person
			ROPlayerController(Controller).DoDeathFade(true, InstantDeathFadeTime);
		}

if ( ZoneName != 'Head' )
		{
			ROGameInfo(WorldInfo.Game).HandleBattleChatterEvent(self, `BATTLECHATTER_DyingSlow);
		}

// Force the Second Lethal shot to be treated like Instant Death
		DeathHitZoneType = HZT_InstantDeath;
	}
	else
	{
		// Scream
		ROGameInfo(WorldInfo.Game).HandleBattleChatterEvent(self, `BATTLECHATTER_DyingFast);

// Store the HitZoneType that killed us
	}
}

The relevant part of this function is here:

Code:
else if ( HitZoneType == HZT_InstantDeath || (HitZoneType == HZT_Lethal && DeathHitZoneType == HZT_Lethal))
	{
		// If this Pawn is controlled by a Player(not a Bot)
		if ( ROPlayerController(Controller) != none )
		{
			// Do the instant death fade for the first person
			ROPlayerController(Controller).DoDeathFade(true, InstantDeathFadeTime);
		}

if ( ZoneName != 'Head' )
		{
			ROGameInfo(WorldInfo.Game).HandleBattleChatterEvent(self, `BATTLECHATTER_DyingSlow);
		}

// Force the Second Lethal shot to be treated like Instant Death
		DeathHitZoneType = HZT_InstantDeath;
	}
	else
	{
		// Scream
		ROGameInfo(WorldInfo.Game).HandleBattleChatterEvent(self, `BATTLECHATTER_DyingFast);

// Store the HitZoneType that killed us
	}

Note the two macros, `BATTLECHATTER_DyingSlow and `BATTLECHATTER_DyingFast. These produce indices to an array in ROGameInfo.uc.

This array is called 'BattleChatterEvents' and it is an array of the struct BattleChatterEvent, defined in ROGameInfo.uc. In the defaultproperties of ROGameInfo.uc you can find the values of the BattleChatterEvents array. Here are our interesting values:
Code:
BattleChatterEvents[`BATTLECHATTER_DyingFast]=(VoiceComIndices[0]=`VOICECOM_DyingFast,VoiceComIndices[1]=`VOICECOM_DyingFast,VoiceComIndices[2]=`VOICECOM_DyingFast,VoiceComIndices[3]=`VOICECOM_DyingFast,VoiceComIndices[4]=`VOICECOM_DyingFast,bOnlyInGroup=false,ChanceEventCausesChatter[0]=1.0,ChanceEventCausesChatter[1]=1.0,ChanceEventCausesChatter[2]=1.0,ChanceEventCausesChatter[3]=1.0,ChanceEventCausesChatter[4]=1.0,MinIntervalBetweenEvents=1.0,bUseEventRadiusList=false,EventRadiusSq=2250000)
BattleChatterEvents[`BATTLECHATTER_DyingSlow]=(VoiceComIndices[0]=`VOICECOM_DyingSlow,VoiceComIndices[1]=`VOICECOM_DyingSlow,VoiceComIndices[2]=`VOICECOM_DyingSlow,VoiceComIndices[3]=`VOICECOM_DyingSlow,VoiceComIndices[4]=`VOICECOM_DyingSlow,bOnlyInGroup=false,ChanceEventCausesChatter[0]=1.0,ChanceEventCausesChatter[1]=1.0,ChanceEventCausesChatter[2]=1.0,ChanceEventCausesChatter[3]=1.0,ChanceEventCausesChatter[4]=1.0,MinIntervalBetweenEvents=1.0,bUseEventRadiusList=false,EventRadiusSq=2250000)

Notice the macros `VOICECOM_DyingSlow and `VOICECOM_DyingFast. These produce indices for the VoiceComs array found in ROVoicePack.

The two relevant entries are here:

Code:
VoiceComs[`VOICECOM_DyingFast]=(Type=ROVCT_TeamRadius,CRef_Sound="Infantry.DMG_INF_DyingFast_NOR_Cue",Priority=Speech_DeathSounds)
VoiceComs[`VOICECOM_DyingSlow]=(Type=ROVCT_TeamRadius,CRef_Sound="Infantry.DMG_INF_DyingSlow_NOR_Cue",Priority=Speech_DeathSounds)

These array elements contain strings that the game uses to load the SoundCues. If you examine the array, you can see that nowhere are these SoundCues used:

DMG_INF_DyingSlow_Heart_NOR_Cue
DMG_INF_DyingSlow_Neck_NOR_Cue
DMG_INF_DyingSlow_Stomach_NOR_Cue

Now, the DMG_INF_DyingSlow_NOR_Cue contains a few of the more graphic sounds that people remember and it IS used currently but ONLY when the victim is shot in the heart, neck, or nuts because they are instant death hitzones (as you can see from HandleDeathShot.) Other than that there is currently no special handling of death sounds. Interestingly, the RS team copied the format of the original voice packages, and created all of these cues even though they aren't used! However there is much less variety to the RS death sounds in that they reuse the sounds from the used SoundCues in the unused SoundCues and therefore would not have noticed a discrepancy.

My mod has addressed this, adding the functionality to play the neck sounds when shot in the neck, the heart sounds when shot in the heart, and so on.

Upvote 0
Dibbler, do you have any idea what causes the voice-files of the Japanese Team to be corrupted? I mean e.g. It's always the same files of just one of the voice actors for the flamethrower death. Then there "doubling" voices for one avatar. And it seems a lot of voice-clips from one actor haven't even been used so again the voice-clips of another are used all for the same avatar. Do you have any idea where these bugs come from and how one could fix those?

Upvote 0
I think all of the death moans are in the game now..at least in RO2. For both english and native voices. Two things I do notice though is that the "death-animations" are significantly shorter than in the Beta and often stop before the death-sound is fully played. The other thing is that the screwed up voices for the Japanese Team in RS are still not fixed and by that I mean doubling voices and a lot of missing voice-files.

Yes man exactly the moans also cut out as well

Upvote 0
Dibbler, do you have any idea what causes the voice-files of the Japanese Team to be corrupted? I mean e.g. It's always the same files of just one of the voice actors for the flamethrower death.
There is no corruption or error here. There are only sound files from one of the three Japanese voice actors for many particular Japanese lines, namely flamethrower death screams and Banzai charging.

Yes man exactly the moans also cut out as well
The length of the death animations has nothing to do with how long the sounds play.

Upvote 0