• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Dealing With The Nerfs As Field Medic

Radingod

Apr 10, 2015
I would like to know how people are dealing with the price nerfs as a Field Medic. So far, I'm struggling to do much besides heal for 3-4 rounds before I can afford the SMG, since having a handgun as my primary damage weapon for 3+ rounds on hard+ is a real struggle, and compared to other classes I end up pathetically poor and weak. Is there any strategies people have found that work to combat these changes?

Yeah. The SMG is now 650 (was 500) the Shotgun is 1100 (was 800), and the Machine Gun is 1500 (was 1100). What this leads to is most classes now getting kills with their starting weapons while you're stick with a handgun for several rounds. I personally think Medics should start with the SMG and replace the handgun. As it stands, You may get the SMG by round 3 if you're lucky and 4 if you're not. Then, if at any point you die, you're completely useless in the next round if you don't get help (which usually you won't since others need to buy their stuff). Whereas basically any other class can still be somewhat useful with the base weapon they start with.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
shotgun or AR

shotgun or AR

I buy the basic gun from either support or commando, depending on which I am trying to level up, and use it for a wave or two. I'll start off using it until people start needing heals, then I'll swap to the pistol. If I can afford it, I'll hang onto the gun when I get my smg, and then start off with the shotgun/assault rifle, and then switch to the smg and/or pistol when people need heals.

Upvote 0
Search for guns on the floor. If you can find a gun, a) you can use it as well as your pistol, and b) you can sell it for dosh.

Once you have like 3-5 zeds left in the round, go scavenging for a minute or two.

This still leads to usually getting an actual class specific gun at 3-4th round.

I buy the basic gun from either support or commando, depending on which I am trying to level up, and use it for a wave or two. I'll start off using it until people start needing heals, then I'll swap to the pistol. If I can afford it, I'll hang onto the gun when I get my smg, and then start off with the shotgun/assault rifle, and then switch to the smg and/or pistol when people need heals.

I tried this by buying the shotty on round 2 and found it to work out quite well on Sucidal. I'm able to keep up with others, and it sells for 150, so I only lose 50 picking it up from the shop at the end of round 1. (Obviously I might get lucky and find one laying around, but buying it is a for sure thing). Thanks bud!

Upvote 0
The medic pistol is very effective until wave 3 up to suicidal. Decaps most stuff with one bullet. I usally scavenge guns and the vest or just save using the scapel and pistol until I can afford the Shotgun. The SMG is an unnecesary cost IMO, specially if there is another medic (most likely in the beta) or it's not a complete chaos.

Upvote 0
The medic pistol is very effective until wave 3 up to suicidal. Decaps most stuff with one bullet. I usally scavenge guns and the vest or just save using the scapel and pistol until I can afford the Shotgun. The SMG is an unnecesary cost IMO, specially if there is another medic (most likely in the beta) or it's not a complete chaos.

one bullet to decap? are we playing the same game?

Also the nerf has seriously gimped my chances of getting the Rifle in a game, but usually the SMG does me enough good

Upvote 0
I haven't played Suicidal yet but one bullet from the starting Medic pistol was still decapitating Crawlers, Clots, and Gorefasts on Hard. My perk was still under level 5, too.

Edit: I find that I can get the SMG very early if I scavenge, and it can carry me through all the middle waves. It's quite good. Are you playing medium games or long?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
According to the devs, trash ZEDs do not get health buffs in higher difficulties. Only the big guys do. So the pistol should retain the same headshot effectiveness through all difficulties.

I make due with the Pistol for two rounds, the SMG for two rounds, and the shotgun for one or two rounds before I can afford to buy up the Rifle.

The perk that gives you cheap armor is a big part of this. I can be very reckless each round and lose all my armor, and buying it back doesn't hurt my ability to afford better weapons later.

Upvote 0
while i think the smg could be cheaper, all weapon tiers now cost the same across classes. i play a lot of medic. and i like the pistol for the first few rounds (but im someone that played lots of pistols with the sharp too). i usualy use the ammo of the secondary pistol up first, because the primary feels more powerful. and i look for pickups too, and use that ammo up as well, and then sell. i try not to buy ammo. also, i have the perk with free armor up before game starts, and toss it then. it also helps if you have a zerk that soaks up a lot of heal :D

the pistol works good enough if you aim well. i like it better than the commando t0 weapon..

Upvote 0
I think it's fine. Honestly, the perk weapon discounts in KF1 were a bit too generous, now medic weapon prices are balanced with everyone else's.

And I love that it doesn't cost a comparitive FORTUNE to buy medic weapons off-perk, now. Same goes for any other off-perk weapons. It was always more of a nuisance than a balancing effort in KF1, since you just had to play a wave or two, buy the weapon, change perks during the same shop trip, and continue on as the perk you actually want to play.... and then be punished more harshly for unfortunate deaths than anyone else.

Upvote 0
i actualy like the smg. if you burst headshots, you can remove an amazing amount of trash with it. if anything the rifle feels pointless. 3 darts is nice and all, but the damage is not high enough for big threats and on small ones the smg works just as well.. it just does not feel worth the money.

im a bit uncertain about the shotgun.. while it shoots really fast, without penetration perk, its a waste on trash.. and again, vs the big ones it does not feel like it has enough impact for how limited ammo is. its very fun to use, but either you go nuts with it and run dry, or save the ammo and leave it mostly unused..

Upvote 0
im a bit uncertain about the shotgun.. while it shoots really fast, without penetration perk, its a waste on trash.. and again, vs the big ones it does not feel like it has enough impact for how limited ammo is. its very fun to use, but either you go nuts with it and run dry, or save the ammo and leave it mostly unused..

I think the benefit of the shotgun is clearing enemies off of a trapped teammate immediately. One well-placed shot will clear enough of a path that you can get a dart into your friend, or at least maybe stagger some of the zeds a bit to interrupt them.

The assault rifle is fun but it does feel like the unweildiness overshadows whatever increase in damage it has over the SMG, since as people have said the SMG clears out trash just fine, and although I gleefully empty the AR's clip into scrakes and FPs I can never tell if its actually helping that much.

Upvote 0
im a bit uncertain about the shotgun.. while it shoots really fast, without penetration perk, its a waste on trash.. and again, vs the big ones it does not feel like it has enough impact for how limited ammo is.

I'm used to the behaviour of KF1 to tank and try to block the big ones.
In one round i had the luck to try around with the scrake in Z.E.D. Time and managed to land pretty accurate hits on his head from near range.
Of course... I wasn't the only one who fired on it but it seems to do it's job well for this. :)

Upvote 0